join:2006-04-21
Tarzana, CA
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·PHONE POWER
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to ymhee_bcex

Re: Alternatives to bridging

I went through the pain of setting up the gateway. First, the upside: my voip phone has much better voice quality than with Time Warner. And that's the only reason I am going through all the pain with AT&T and the gateway.

I wasn't able to put it in the bridge mode. I even spend an hour and a half with AT&T support (most of the time on hold, of course). Spoke with 8 people total, including "Connectic" which is their professional services group that charges for help (offered me a plan that included virus removal, printer and scanner support). They said they can disable the router, but it will cost me $50.

Anyway, I gave up and left the router up. Wireless is pathetic - invisible beyond 10 ft. Wired ports are 100Mb - noticeable difference on HD movies that I am streaming from the server, but I can live with that.

I set up my OpenWrt-based router as Bridged access point. Wireless works fine, but for some reason wired ports are not bridged.

Bottom line: if Time Warner didn't have compatibility problems with my VOIP provider - I would cancel the service in the first 24 hours.
--
Technical problems are more often than not management incompetence masquerading as technical issues