how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

albundyhere

join:2000-10-26
New York, NY

[TW] Earthlink Newsgroups problem

Anyone having problems downloading from Earthlink's newsgroups lately? I am getting mostly incompletes on all headers with nothing downloading anymore. servers connect and authorize but nothing downloads since each header is marked incomplete. whats going on? did earthlink change their usenet provider? i am using a friend's astraweb account that works perfectly, so i know Earthlink has done something!

BrianFX

join:2008-06-26
Forest Hills, NY

Same exact problem here. Lots of posts never even making it there, very annoying.

What's weird is that technically we're using a Supernews service (itself a Giganews subsidiary), and neither Supernews nor Giganews users are reporting the same problems as we're seeing. Hoping they get this resolved soon, or the era of free earthlink usenet is over.. (so soon after the nzbmatrix closure too, argh)

albundyhere

New York, NY

I found out on filesharingtalk.com that supernews and giganews is allowing this to happen. they have an auto-moderated auto-deleting feature now that immediately removes anything the dmca calls for, even legit stuff. i have no idea how they will stay in business, as i highly doubt paying customers will stay with a provider with no headers anymore. i suggest moving over to an overseas newsgroup provider that doesn't fall prey to these deletions.

BrianFX

Forest Hills, NY
reply to albundyhere

That's true, the big providers all have auto-DCMA takedowns now. However, the Earthlink-Supernews server(s) specifically are even worse. Uploads are being removed from there that Supernews/Giganews users still have. I'll run some comparison tests to confirm, but in the meantime, I'm ditching Earthlink as soon as my promotion ends (back to TWC direct).

BrianFX

Forest Hills, NY
reply to albundyhere

I just confirmed it. I setup a Supernews demo and used the same nzb for a show that was posted online tonight. It's gone on Earthlink, active on Supernews.

There must have been an inside agreement, as I've noticed it's TV shows that are most heavily affected. Maybe TWC said no more TV shows on Earthlink usenet, since it competes with their TV cable service. I wouldn't be surprised.

Coincidentally, my 6-month promo price on Earthlink ended today. Calling TWC tomorrow to switch back.

albundyhere

New York, NY

huh, that's quite interesting. I never realized they would stoop so low. I am moving and wont be sticking with Earthlink as they kept giving themselves raises on my behalf every year for several years now with the same 10Mbps speed. I am really liking RCN right now with their 50Mbps $34.99/month for 3 years with no contract as it will allow me to order up a decent usenet provider. thanks for the info.

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:4
reply to albundyhere

For me, I noticed slower download speeds from it. Does anyone know to add newsgroups? I know Giganews has it.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to BrianFX

said by BrianFX:

Calling TWC tomorrow to switch back.

Why wouldn't TWC do the same on their Usenet service?
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

BrianFX

Forest Hills, NY

said by NormanS:

Why wouldn't TWC do the same on their Usenet service?

TWC doesn't offer their own usenet service. I was hoping by switching back I could hop on their promo plan once again, but they're no longer allowing EL to/from TWC hops to count towards promotional rates (they did for years). I'm paying the $50 regular internet rate now for the first time in 7 years of being a TWC or EL customer. Oh well, it was a good run.

Ended up not switching since there was no price advantage, and TWC is 15/2 Mbps vs EL at 20/2. Using a block usenet account now to make up for EL usenet dropping all TV releases.