spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

lifespeed

join:2009-09-08

[General] Voice over LTE SIP interface

When Verizon implements VoLTE using AMR-WB (G722.2?) in the next year, will we be able to call a mobile phone via SIP bypassing the PSTN and G711 conversion entirely?

This would seem a desirable result for all involved - no PSTN fees for VZW as well as the calling party. Not to mention the great audio quality. I despise cellular call quality!
--
Lifespeed

mgraves1
Premium
join:2004-04-05
Houston, TX

It's entirely reasonable to expect that mobile-to-mobile calls between suitable handsets will pass wideband audio. That is, unless VZW decides to disable AMR-WB/WB+.

If they don't plan on trumpeting new and improved call quality they might not want to answer for why some calls sound great and others sound less than great.

This has historically been why many IT managers disable G.722 on their high-end IP phones. High-quality audio to in-house destinations contrasts against the shoddy quality of a typical PSTN call.
--
Michael Graves
Houston TX
»www.mgraves.org

lifespeed

said by mgraves1:

It's entirely reasonable to expect that mobile-to-mobile calls between suitable handsets will pass wideband audio. That is, unless VZW decides to disable AMR-WB/WB+.

VZW has clearly stated VoLTE will use AMR-WB. That is not what I am asking.

I am wondering if a caller from outside their mobile network will be able to connect directly, I assume using SIP bypassing PSTN, and complete the call using AMR-WB from their IP phone supporting the codec.
--
Lifespeed

Trev
IP Telephony Addict
Premium
join:2009-06-29
Victoria, BC
kudos:6

said by lifespeed:

I am wondering if a caller from outside their mobile network will be able to connect directly, I assume using SIP bypassing PSTN, and complete the call using AMR-WB from their IP phone supporting the codec.

I would be quite pleasantly surprised if this were to happen, but I'm almost certain it won't.
--
Wondering what I do? Find out at »www.digitalcon.ca
Get your Obihai ATA in Canada.

lifespeed

said by Trev:

I would be quite pleasantly surprised if this were to happen, but I'm almost certain it won't.

I understand your pessimism. But remember, PSTN access costs money. in the long run, supporting IP access is a win-win.

Remember when cellular providers tried to force all phone data to use their network? Now they encourage use of WiFi to offload their network.
--
Lifespeed

mgraves1
Premium
join:2004-04-05
Houston, TX
reply to lifespeed

It's unclear if VZW will allow direct SIP access. I doubt very much that you will ever be able to call a VZW customer by way of a SIP URI from any arbitrary ITSP.

They are moving to IP-based peering with other carriers. Once IP-based peering is more dominant then there's some likelihood that your call might find IP transit end-to-end and thus support HDVoice.

There are many different issue involved; call transport, namespace, signaling protocol, codecs, business models, compensation schemes, regulatory reality, political actions, Some of these situations are more likely to evolve, or evolve more quickly than others.
--
Michael Graves
Houston TX
»www.mgraves.org