spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

PsndCsrV

@cox.net

[NV] Random internet drops

For the last couple weeks I've been experiencing a lot of drops in my internet service. It's often mid-day (10ish - 2ish), but not consistently. It does seem to happen more frequently when I'm using Skype (which is really annoying). Before a couple weeks ago, it's been working flawlessly, although I did have some trouble maybe 6 months ago.

On the advice of the Cox tech, I've taken my wireless router out of the loop and am running CAT5 straight from my PC to the cable modem (Motorola SB6121), but I'm still getting drops.

My signals look ok (from what I can tell):
Down: 36/37 SNR, power 0 to 2 dBmV
Up: power 34/36 dBmV

The logs have a number of:
- TLV-11 - unrecognized OID
- No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
- Unicast Ranging Received Abort Response - initializing MAC

If I pull the power on the modem, wait 30 sec and plug it back in, my internet will usually work again for a while.

Is this something that can be fixed on Cox's side? Or is it possible my modem is dying? It's only a year old, so I hope not. I've read the SB6121 is poor at handling noisy signals... could that be contributing?

Any help would be appreciated!

CoxVegas

join:2011-07-25
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:10
Register for an account then PM me your cable MAC, and I'll take a look to see if we see anything amiss.

aic129

join:2012-12-24
Phoenix, AZ
reply to PsndCsrV
I am having the same issues. I live in Arizona however. I also have a SB6121.

down: 36/37 dB, power -3 to -4 dBmV
up 48 - 49 dBmV

I've been on the phone with Cox a couple of time in the last week but they were really no help.

PsndCsrV

join:2012-12-20
Las Vegas, NV
reply to CoxVegas
Thanks CoxVegas, I PM'd you my MAC.

Interestingly, late Friday I put a little 5" fan right up to the modem in case it might be heat related. With only light use between then and now, I haven't had any problems. We'll see how it holds up during my normal use today.

CoxVegas

Las Vegas, NV
PsndCsrV,

I looked at your modem, and your upstream levels are a little on the low side. Your node looks fine, as do your neighbors.

Do you have any extra cable splitters you might be able to remove to improve things a little?

CoxVegas

Las Vegas, NV
reply to aic129
aic129,

You should start a new thread, and make sure it is in the [AZ] group so the Arizona folks will see it. They'll be more help than I can.

PsndCsrV

Las Vegas, NV
reply to CoxVegas
No splitters currently. I used to have 2 splitters (one in the box outside, and one inside), but I replaced those with straight connectors to help boost the levels since I don't have TV service and don't need all the other outlets in my house.

Is there anything else I can do to try to boost the levels?

CoxVegas

Las Vegas, NV
Besides maybe trying to replace the coax cables and see if that helps, not much. Your best bet at this point is to call in and get a tech visit scheduled - they'll be able to determine if the problem is with your modem or with your wiring.

PsndCsrV

Las Vegas, NV
Hmm, alright.

Thanks for your help!