Search similar:

uniqs
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080

monopoly bill of right$?

WIRED broadband has no need for caps!!!
Stop protecting monopolies! DO something to increase competition to lower current prices!

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
join:2005-03-19
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList

Premium Member

I F**KING LOVE THIS COUNTRY!
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned) to tmc8080

to tmc8080
How do you increase competition? A cable company is not going to go into another cable companies territory especially fi the area also has U-verse or FiOS too. There isn't any money in that. Also no one is going to like another cable company putting up more wires and digging up their yards for more cabling for a service they probably won't be using anyway.
LostInWoods
join:2004-04-14

1 recommendation

LostInWoods

How to increase competition? I think the term is "structural separation".

I'm thinking that the way to increase competition is to recognize that a monopoly (or equally anti-competitive duopoly if you're lucky) situation exits for internet access. Also recognize that high-speed internet access is now an essential service for the economy, just like telephone and electric power. And recognize that last mile access (preferably FTTP) to consumers is a natural monopoly, just like power lines, and treat it as such.

Once you've recognized that reality, it becomes much simpler to encourage (through something like a broadband coop) or force divestiture of the last mile segment into a regulated return access company, with data services provided by multiple service providers. You would pay a regulated rate to your local loopco, then a competitive rate to whatever service provider(s) you choose.

Imagine for a moment if Earthlink and AOL were able to compete straight up against Comcast, AT&T, and possibly Google or Apple as your ISP. And there should be no reason you couldn't use more than one provider if you like.

I suspect there would be lots of competition for unfettered access to your click-stream, even in rural locations since the loop expense is separate. Look at Google in KC - they'll GIVE you a 5 Mbit connection for access to that information.
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

said by LostInWoods:

How to increase competition? I think the term is "structural separation".

I'm thinking that the way to increase competition is to recognize that a monopoly (or equally anti-competitive duopoly if you're lucky) situation exits for internet access. Also recognize that high-speed internet access is now an essential service for the economy, just like telephone and electric power. And recognize that last mile access (preferably FTTP) to consumers is a natural monopoly, just like power lines, and treat it as such.

Once you've recognized that reality, it becomes much simpler to encourage (through something like a broadband coop) or force divestiture of the last mile segment into a regulated return access company, with data services provided by multiple service providers. You would pay a regulated rate to your local loopco, then a competitive rate to whatever service provider(s) you choose.

good luck getting that by republicans
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080 to LostInWoods

to LostInWoods
Don't mistake Verizon's FOR PROFIT expansion of $20+ Billion dollar expansion of FTTP with states claiming eminant domain on Fiber Optic lines to play carrier neutral loop.. that's not gonna happen and any idea like that is living in fantasy land..

What is possible is new carriers entering into markets.. Verizon and AT&T saw fit to do this in 2003 - 2009 as it suited their "NEEDS" at the time, and in reverse to divest geographies that are NOT profitable.. You the "RESIDENTIAL CUSTOMER" are lower in value than the pawns on a chess board to these companies as individuals, however if consumers would shed the apathy (and form coalitions that will not re-elect your politicians over this issue alone)-- perhaps progress could be made in the worst anti-competitive geographies!
Skippy25
join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

Skippy25 to 88615298

to 88615298
Forced line sharing at a regulated rate.