uniqs
share rss forum feed

NotTheMama
What Would Earl Do?

join:2012-12-06
reply to rradina

Re: Too funny...

said by rradina:

Well -- it could mean that providers stop investing in upgrades in an effort to guarantee...

customer dissatisfaction and disaffection.

Real networks--without caps--manage congestion automatically in way that's the most fair to each user of the network--not that your typical ISP has a "real" network. Caps--for monthly usage or otherwise--do nothing useful, nothing good for users of a network. They're entirely about marketing and money (for the ISP).
--
"...but ya doesn't hasta call me Johnson!"

silbaco
Premium
join:2009-08-03
USA

1 recommendation

Real networks don't need to manage traffic. They have ample capacity for all.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

said by silbaco:

Real networks don't need to manage traffic. They have ample capacity for all.

to the Mod:I did NOT mean to approve of THAT post.
can my approval be removed?
To silbaco See Profile That is an ignorant statement, Most networks have temporary congestion at some point.
Good management is to anticipate congestion based on usage patterns and new app designs, to budget for needed/known/upcoming growth, but no one can afford to deploy earlier than necessary, or predict uncontrolled growth from new "fad-like" demand patterns all the time .

If congestion and other problems didn't ever exist there would be a lot less demand for QUALIFED Network engineers.

NotTheMama
What Would Earl Do?

I thought he was being facetious (mostly anyway).
--

silbaco
Premium
join:2009-08-03
USA
reply to tshirt

I wasn't being serious.

However there are some ISPs out there that do operate that way. Particularly ISPs that have ftth or cooperatives that offer good old ADSL. They don't or simply can't offer speeds fast enough to cause congestion.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:4

I hoped you were be sarcastic about the post above you, which when beyond ignorant.

NotTheMama
What Would Earl Do?

reply to tshirt

Real networks are managed by qualified engineers seeking to make the network as efficient as possible for all users. ISP networks (typically) are managed by qualified engineers doing what upper-level management tells them to do in order to make the network only efficient enough to keep customers from leaving (as if most of them had any viable alternatives)--so, not what I call a "real" network.
--