Search similar:

uniqs

Dennis
Mod
join:2001-01-26
Algonquin, IL

Dennis

Mod

[Other] Want to disable wifi during nights and weekends.

My sister owns a small business and I want to come up with an open wifi hotspot for customers while they wait but I want to have it automatically turn off the wifi over night and weekends when they aren't open.

Looking around the Cisco devices seem to have parental controls but they only apply to known computers and not all wifi at all. Does anyone know of router that might support this?

Serbtastic
You Know How Many People I Have Buried?
Premium Member
join:2002-02-24
Stoney Creek, ON

Serbtastic

Premium Member

Pick up a router that supports dd-wrt and you can schedule when internet access is allowed and when it isn't very easily.
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE to Dennis

MVM

to Dennis
said by Dennis:

Looking around the Cisco devices seem to have parental controls

Which specific model of Cisco device were you looking at here -- Linksys by Cisco or a CISCO cisco piece of kit?

A non-technical solution would be to put whatever router you get onto a power bar and link it
to the light / powerswitch that shuts down the lights or something similar, so it just ends up
being part of the day end process -- turn off lights, which turns off the router...

My 00000010bits.

Regards

Dennis
Mod
Algonquin, IL

Dennis

Mod

Well I was looking for something a little bit more automatic.

I grabbed one of these for 18, google says they are wrt-dd compatible:

»slickdeals.net/permadeal ··· usb-port

mattmag

join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois

mattmag to Dennis

to Dennis

My Netgear Router allows blocking services on a schedule that can be set daily, and you could then select "HTTP" as the service to block. Seems that would effectively shut down browsing etc. They could connect but that would be it.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

1 edit

NetFixer to Dennis

Premium Member

to Dennis
My D-Link DIR655 can turn on its guest WiFi on a schedule:

FYI, if you decide to try the DIR655, don't load the latest 2.10NA firmware; that version screws up the guest WiFi functionality (use 2.07 or earlier).

Dennis
Mod
Algonquin, IL

Dennis

Mod

That's cool. I just finished flashing the Belkin N300 to dd-wrt and tweaking it to turn radio off and on and also give a splash page to make them "acknowledge" terms of use and also applied a QoS. Just giving it some soak time now.