The One & Only
Premium Member
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to JLR

Premium Member

to JLR

Re: [Tampa] Might lose WFLA CH8?

A tentative agreement has been reached. While we work to finalize our agreement, our customers will continue to receive Media General programming without any disruption.

DanG1974
join:2005-06-26
Saint Petersburg, FL

DanG1974

Please don't drop channel 8. I'm a big fan of Johnny Carson, The Cosby Show, Night Court, Hunter, ALF, Cheers, Blossom, The Smurfs, and many, many more.

This whole thread made me laugh. People weren't concerned about losing WFLA, they were upset at the possibility of losing NBC.
If an agreement hadn't been met, wouldn't Bright House just try to add another NBC affiliate, like WESH in Orlando? Sure, you wouldn't get Bob Dickin' Gale, or whomever does their local news now, but you'd still get your nightly fix of whatever reality programming you need to consume.

samw
Are you sure? If not check again
Premium Member
join:2009-11-23
Lakeland, FL

samw

Premium Member

I agree. Plus most programming if I'm correct can be viewed on NBCs website or HULU. Not local programming but not one post I read talked about losing the ability to see their favorite anchors or other local unique viewing.
Art Deco
join:2011-04-27

Art Deco to JLR

to JLR
The most troubling thing to lose (without replacement by another NBC affiliate) would have been the NFL playoffs on Saturday. The rest of the stuff, aside from local news, can be found elsewhere.

kdwycha
join:2003-01-30
Ruskin, FL

kdwycha to DanG1974

to DanG1974
said by DanG1974:

Please don't drop channel 8. I'm a big fan of Johnny Carson, The Cosby Show, Night Court, Hunter, ALF, Cheers, Blossom, The Smurfs, and many, many more.

This whole thread made me laugh. People weren't concerned about losing WFLA, they were upset at the possibility of losing NBC.
If an agreement hadn't been met, wouldn't Bright House just try to add another NBC affiliate, like WESH in Orlando? Sure, you wouldn't get Bob Dickin' Gale, or whomever does their local news now, but you'd still get your nightly fix of whatever reality programming you need to consume.

BHN is not able to provide locals from another market. The FCC and Nielson Media Research define a local market area or Designated Market Area (DMA) and a multichannel video programming distributor must follow FCC guidelines and only allow broadcast of a local channel within its DMA.

You may ask "Well why do we get CLF News 13 and NY1 then?" Well those are not broadcast OTA and are not defined by DMA.

I have not watched local channels in years anyway so could really care less but you can always get your favorite programming on HULU for instance if Media General were to pull the plug on the programming during their quest to extort BHN and exploit BHN customers by denying them access to their favorite NBC programming.

samw
Are you sure? If not check again
Premium Member
join:2009-11-23
Lakeland, FL

samw

Premium Member

What's nice is there are some media channels, unsure about WFLA, that stream their news segments and such when the normal time for the news comes on but it depends on what people are looking for. Did they want WFLA just for the news or for the national programming. If they wanted just the national programming then Hulu or NBC.com should be good enough so you don't watch your shows. Heck even if it was Super Bowl time, there is talk about it being streamed online as well so in the case of a total disconnect, there are still options. Yes maybe they might be confusing or not the best for the customers but this is why each side growls but in the end, they usually don't bite
waynew
join:2012-03-16
Lake Mary, FL

waynew to kdwycha

to kdwycha
said by kdwycha:

BHN is not able to provide locals from another market. The FCC and Nielson Media Research define a local market area or Designated Market Area (DMA) and a multichannel video programming distributor must follow FCC guidelines and only allow broadcast of a local channel within its DMA.

Didn't BHN provide an NBC filler from PA when they lost permission to carry WESH NBC in Orlando?

kdwycha
join:2003-01-30
Ruskin, FL

kdwycha

said by waynew:

said by kdwycha:

Didn't BHN provide an NBC filler from PA when they lost permission to carry WESH NBC in Orlando?

Yeah I couldn't figure that one out either when I read that. I was just reading an article on that and an except from it stated...

"Nexstar released this statement: “We believe Time Warner on an unauthorized basis in an illegal manner misappropriated our signals from three markets. Nexstar intends to pursue all legal and regulatory remedies to cause Time Warner to cease and desist misappropriating signals.”

TWC was doing the negotiating on behalf of BHN for WESH TV.

Full article here...

»blogs.orlandosentinel.co ··· ppy.html