All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

CindyB

join:2005-01-18
Chesapeake, VA

New desktop - will I need to create a new DSL network?

I just got a new desktop, to replace my aging 7 year old machine. I have a wireless router modem that is connected via ethernet to my old pc, and of course our various wireless devices connect wirelessly as needed. What will I need to do on the new machine to get connected to DSL - anything other than simply switching the ethernet cable to it?

Sorry if this is a dumb question...I just remember when I had to reimage this machine, I had a hell of a time with DSL, and ended up having to call Verizon and they had to have me go through all these steps over the phone. Should that be neccessary?

Demonfang

join:2011-04-21
Spring Mills, PA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·DSL EXTREME
typically, moving the ethernet cable over to the new computer is all that should be needed. the only time it wouldn't be is if you had the internet going from modem to computer, and then back out of a second lan port on computer to a wireless network, but this isn't the case.

neilemon

join:2010-06-06
united state
reply to CindyB
You need to make sure your network settings are correct on the new machine.

What OS are you running?

CindyB

join:2005-01-18
Chesapeake, VA
Sorry to get back to this so late. Christmas and family!
The new PC is Windows 7. So, I won't have to go in and create a new network or anything? All that information lives in the router, is that what you are saying?

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
kudos:9
Reviews:
·FirstLight Fiber
·Hollis Hosting
·G4 Communications
said by CindyB:

All that information lives in the router, is that what you are saying?

Yup - it is the router that does the networking stuff that allows you to share a single connection among multiple PCs, and the modem maintains the PPPoE session. All that stuff should be invisible to your PC.

As long as the PC is set to obtain IP settings automatically (that is the default configuration) and the DHCP server is running on your router you should be all set.

/tom