All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
LostInWoods
join:2004-04-14

LostInWoods

Cap Neutrality

One provision I really like in this proposal was not mentioned in the article writeup.
(c) DISCRIMINATION OF CONTENT.— A covered Internet service provider may not, for purposes of measuring data usage or otherwise, provide preferential treatment of data that is based on the source or the content of the data.
As I read this, it would effectively outlaw attempts to count OTT content against the cap while exempting ISP content. In other words, the capping ISP would have to count bits for their own video product exactly the same way they do Netflix content.

I see this as aimed at Comcast trying to pretend their IP video shouldn't count while Netflix & Amazon Prime content should. Also, I think it would outlaw the latest notion of AT&T to extort protection money from content providers by ensuring that the "protected" content wouldn't count against the cap.
silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

silbaco

Premium Member

I don't think it would have any affect on At&t's idea. Companies would be paying extra for that instead of someone getting a free ride, which seems to be the aim of the provision.
Skippy25
join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

Skippy25

Maybe you should read the statement again taking note of:
• Preferential treatment
• Regardless of source and content.

Paying to have it prioritized or not count is preferential treatment that takes into account the source and content of the data.