Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Sachula
Premium
join:2003-04-29
Detroit, MI

Switching to Uverse?

Thinking of getting Uverse adsl2 (I can't get vdsl), was wondering if I could use my own modem / router?

What I have is a D-Link DSL-2540B ADSL2/2+ Modem/Router.

Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.

walta

join:2001-05-22
Saint Louis, MO
kudos:2

Only the new modem will work.

You life will be much if you get a switch to plug in your wire devises and program the new modem to match you old SSID.

Walta

qlopp

join:2011-09-15
Saint Charles, MO
reply to Sachula

Maybe I don't know what all is available, but my understanding is that U-Verse is not ADSL. Standard DSL service is typically ADSL, but U-Verse is fiber to the "neighborhood distribution box" (whatever it is called) and then copper phone line from there to all of the houses via the existing phone line infrastructure. With the U-Verse I am aware of you need to use the "residential gateway" (RG) that they provide so that it can communicate with the unique U-Verse hybrid communication protocol.

You can then plug in your own brand of router into one of the RG's ports if you want to add wifi N and gigabit LAN ports, but the RG has to be the modem for U-Verse to function.

mackey
Premium
join:2007-08-20
kudos:11

said by qlopp:

Maybe I don't know what all is available,

No, you don't. Uverse comes in 2 flavors: "IP-DSLAM" which uses ADSL2+ from the central office, and VDSL from a fiber-to-the-cabinet VRAD (the "neighborhood distribution box").

As for the OP, no, you cannot use your own modem/router. Both flavors of Uverse use 802.1X authentication, and your modem will not have the correct security certificate installed.

/M

qlopp

join:2011-09-15
Saint Charles, MO

Thanks for the correction/explanation. We have the fiber to VRAD, copper to house here. As I understand it that is the common U-Verse setup, sort of a hybrid to compete with fster cable service without changing the physical wiring in the neighborhoods. I hadn't heard of ADSL2+ until now. Is the wiring/infrastructure identical to the POTS that conventional ADSL uses, or is there some sort of physical difference(s) to the circuitry outside of the central office?

Regardless, the OP can't use his modem to connect to either form of U-Verse.

mackey
Premium
join:2007-08-20
kudos:11

said by qlopp:

I hadn't heard of ADSL2+ until now. Is the wiring/infrastructure identical to the POTS that conventional ADSL uses, or is there some sort of physical difference(s) to the circuitry outside of the central office?

Yup, it's pretty much the exact same as the old ADSL. Same filters/splitters and wiring. For us, it was unplug old gateway, plug new one in, done.

/M