Outland
kudos:2
Reviews:
·ooma
·Google Voice
·Comcast
·Future Nine Corp..

[Business] Comcast ran RG11 in my conduit today

Today, Comcast business came out to run new wire for my Internet service. The installer used RG11, not RG6 from the pole through the underground conduit to an interior demarc.

I noted the cable seemed a bit larger than RG6. Is RG11 for conduit or longer runs? The run from telephone pole to the new demarc area is about 50% longer than the over head cables were.

So far, everything seems fine. No real difference in connection speed or ping times.
--
"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand." - Milton Friedman"

NetFixer
Snarl For The Camera Please
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

1 recommendation

said by pandora:

Is RG11 for conduit or longer runs? The run from telephone pole to the new demarc area is about 50% longer than the over head cables were.

»Cable Modems and Wiring Issues »What are the most common types of CATV wiring?

RG11 is higher quality than RG6, but also much thicker and harder to work with. It is usually used for longer cable runs (over 150 feet) because it loses signal more slowly.

--
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

Cable Employ

join:2012-07-23
Saint Paul, MN
reply to pandora

RG-11 is generally used for runs over 250 feet, or it can also be used in you have multiple outlets. The bigger the cable, the less signal loss through the cable, meaning more signal at the premise.

ExoticFish

join:2008-08-31
Stuarts Draft, VA
reply to pandora

I got RG11 run for my drop. It's less than 50'.

telcodad

join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:6
reply to pandora

FYI - Here is a thread from several months ago, where I discussed the use of RG-11 vs RG-6QS cable with DarkLogix See Profile, who had upgraded the line to his modem to RG-11: »Questions about RG11 cablling vs RG59 and RG6?

pandora
Premium
join:2001-06-01
Outland
kudos:2
Reviews:
·ooma
·Google Voice
·Comcast
·Future Nine Corp..
reply to NetFixer

Thank you all for the explanations. It appears the cable installer used appropriate wire. I will have a number of RG 6 drops, and the length of the run was about 120'.
--
"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand." - Milton Friedman"

neufuse

join:2006-12-06
James Creek, PA
reply to pandora

in my area comcast has went exclusively to QR-320 cable in orange conduit for all under ground runs.. nothing is less then that now in our area, even if the run is less then 50 ft

noisefloor

join:2010-05-09

1 edit

QR 320 is for trunks and feeder lines, basically the stuff going downstream from tap to tap, it's preferred for apartments or commercial buildings. Contractors are using it more and more in place of P3 now. maybe because it's flexibility? Not sure.

neufuse

James Creek, PA

the stuff they use for feeders around here is about 3x the diameter of QR320... it's literally 1" wide and stiff as heck

neufuse

James Creek, PA
reply to noisefloor

I think we use QR-1125JCASS-T for feeders / trunks

gar187er
I do this for a living

join:2006-06-24
Dover, DE
kudos:4
reply to noisefloor

said by noisefloor:

QR 320 is for trunks and feeder lines, basically the stuff going downstream from tap to tap, it's preferred for apartments or commercial buildings. Contractors are using it more and more in place of P3 now. maybe because it's flexibility? Not sure.

ummm no. 320 is drop cable, QR 540 is used for feeder if you want to stay within the quantum reach family.

and please do not ever say 320 is flexible, ITS NOT. rg11 is flexible. 320 is brittle
--
I'm better than you!

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

3 edits
reply to pandora

QR isnt limited to any application. QR320 Can be used for plant or drops. Just as any other qr can be used for either or. Depending on what mood the tech was in that day. The smallest cable ive run in the qr family for drops i have run is 320 but ive run drops as large as qr860 for drops. The same can be said for plant with plant going bigger yet. Some junk that gets in the 1100 range and nobody can eve work with. In my opinion the whole qr family is junk. But its cheaper than actual hardlines so the cable companies like it. Does tend to not drop off as fast after longer runs tho. Thats supposed to big the biggest seller of it.

SeaSeaTee5

join:2010-05-06
Maryland
reply to pandora

We're phasing out 320QR around here. After several years of using it for drops, we're back to using RG11, and I've seen no objections. Like mentioned above, RG11 is much more flexible, especially if you need to run a temp across a driveway.

We use 500QR, 540QR, 860QR and 1125QR. IMO all QR is much more subject to radial cracks and 500QR has the worst high end roll-off I've seen out of any feeder cable. Would much rather have 500P3 or 565P3 if for some reason they wouldn't run 625P3.

When I was up in NJ after Sandy, all of their replacements (trunk AND feeder) were being run with 715QR. Of course alot of what was being replaced was MC cable. Don't even get me started on that crap....lol.