spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

staticfree6

join:2002-08-03
United State

[TWC] My TWC Cisco box reboots every midnight?

Lately, I've been noticing that around midnight every night while I am watching cable TV, the cisco set top box interrupts my program viewing annoyingly with the message "please wait".
I can understand occasionally automatically downloading updates and fixes but this is happening every night on my box. Is this normal or is there something wrong with the firmware in this box causing it to do this every night?

Update: I should add that I am in the NYC TWC area. Are they constantly updating their firmware or software like this lately?

Fleeced

join:2012-10-06
kudos:2

You shouldn't be getting this every night. How long has this been happening, and how long does it last?

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY
kudos:11
reply to staticfree6

Is it rebooting or just coming up with a please wait message on the guide?
What model of box?

Hob
--
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

staticfree6

United State

It is a cisco 4742hdc box and it happened again at midnight (12:00am) transition time again today. It blacks out the TV programs I am watching and displays "please wait" for about a half minute or so then returns back to the TV program. It is annoying.

Satch

join:2009-11-25

said by staticfree6:

It is a cisco 4742hdc box and it happened again at midnight (12:00am) transition time again today. It blacks out the TV programs I am watching and displays "please wait" for about a half minute or so then returns back to the TV program. It is annoying.

Does the box reboot? Or do you just get "Please Wait" for a half hour with the guide showing No Data?

The screen also is going black during this time?

Satch

staticfree6

United State

1 edit

It seems to me that it just displays the "Please wait..." message and blacks out the screen during that message. Since it seems to come back on in about 30 seconds or so each time, I guess it is not rebooting the box but updating some software parameter(s).
A reboot would take several minutes. Still this interruption every night around midnight or after midnight is intrusive and annoying when watching TV at that time. I guess they think doing it in the wee hours of the morning like that won't disturb customers. But it does for the ones who are trying to watch things at that time.

Also several times already during the middle of a day, the status of the programming menu (when you press info) would be off showing the wrong program and scheduled show times. Pressing for more info will say that the info is not available at this time and to press the yellow "A" button to exit. It gets into a corrupted state and the only way to fix it is to reboot the cisco set top box by unplugging the AC power and powering it back on.

Satch

said by staticfree6:

It seems to me that it just displays the "Please wait..." message and blacks out the screen during that message. Since it seems to come back on in about 30 seconds or so each time, I guess it is not rebooting the box but updating some software parameter(s).
A reboot would take several minutes. Still this interruption every night around midnight or after midnight is intrusive and annoying when watching TV at that time. I guess they think doing it in the wee hours of the morning like that won't disturb customers. But it does for the ones who are trying to watch things at that time.

Also several times already during the middle of a day, the status of the programming menu (when you press info) would be off showing the wrong program and scheduled show times. Pressing for more info will say that the info is not available at this time and to press the yellow "A" button to exit. It gets into a corrupted state and the only way to fix it is to reboot the cisco set top box by unplugging the AC power and powering it back on.

First suggestion would be to see if a cold reboot solves the problem. Before midnight comes around, turn off the box, than unplug it for 30 seconds. Now plug it back in and wait for the reboot to finish.

Now, wait for the next midnight cycle to come around. If it happens again, my guess it is something with the transfer of guide data to the box. If it doesn't happen again, than the cold reboot solved the issue. Maybe, watch the box around midnight for about three nights after your cold reboot. Be sure not to reboot the box around midnight but before that time. It should be a cold reboot where you unplug the box for 30 seconds from the wall or surge protector. Power off the box before unplugging it.

Satch

staticfree6

United State

The cable TV box just did it again at 1:00am this morning. It lasted for about 20 seconds or so blacking out the entire screen and displaying the message "Please wait". It is annoying that they keep doing this every night/morning at around 12:00am (midnight) or at 1:00am.
I've been unplugging the AC power and rebooting the cable box several times over in the past to clear up locked up channel info and schedule data menus. These reboots never solved this "Please wait" at midnight blackouts. It is annoying that they do this. Terrible disruptive method of updating the menus if that is what they are doing.

Satch

said by staticfree6:

The cable TV box just did it again at 1:00am this morning. It lasted for about 20 seconds or so blacking out the entire screen and displaying the message "Please wait". It is annoying that they keep doing this every night/morning at around 12:00am (midnight) or at 1:00am.
I've been unplugging the AC power and rebooting the cable box several times over in the past to clear up locked up channel info and schedule data menus. These reboots never solved this "Please wait" at midnight blackouts. It is annoying that they do this. Terrible disruptive method of updating the menus if that is what they are doing.

Sup Static?

I would open up a support ticket at the Secure Direct to Tech forum for TWC. Give your name, address, and account# at that forum along with the description of this issue. You can even refer them to this thread. This does sound like a data based issue. You need to get a ticket opened up on this issue. Here is the secure forum:

»Time Warner Cable Direct

Something's wonky here.

Satch

skuv

@rr.com
reply to staticfree6

On a regular 1 tuner cable box, this is unfortunately what happens when the guide data updates. It has to happen at some point or you will not have new guide data.

The box only has one tuner to receive data. Normally you are receiving QAM data and watching a program. But when guide info has to be sent, the tuner has to be used to receive that.

DVRs don't see this because it always uses the tuner that you are not watching to get this data.

There are areas of TWC that have started using DSG to receive data. It's basically a cable modem inside the box that connects to the headend just for receiving data and sending data that is not QAM video. Those cable boxes don't have to be interrupted to receive guide updates.

skuv

@rr.com
reply to staticfree6

Also, forgot to mention, your box isn't rebooting. I'm sure you've done a reboot before, it takes a lot, lot longer than 20 seconds to reboot, and doesn't just say please wait.

NightOwl2

join:2012-03-19
reply to staticfree6

You should call in for a hard reboot signal. It is a long reboot but generally clears out any corrupted data.

Generally updates are performed after midnight, hopefully the least disruptive time. I have Charter and my guide must be updated every night. If I turn on the box/tv in early a.m., only a few listings show on most channels and the rest is to be announced.

Satch

said by NightOwl2:

You should call in for a hard reboot signal. It is a long reboot but generally clears out any corrupted data.

Generally updates are performed after midnight, hopefully the least disruptive time. I have Charter and my guide must be updated every night. If I turn on the box/tv in early a.m., only a few listings show on most channels and the rest is to be announced.

My guess is that there was a guide update sometime within the last week or so, and the box is somehow stuck with data corruption between the 12am-1am cycle. I think opening a support ticket at TWC Direct to Tech forums (link above) is the way to go with this.

Correct, a "Please Wait" is not a box reboot. This is a guide data issue.

Satch

NightOwl2

join:2012-03-19

Yes, but it doesn't hurt to have a hard boot. It's a different signal than just a refresh hit. Alternatively, he can unplug the box for 30 minutes, (not seconds) and then reload. Depends on how fast he can get assistance through the Direct forum.

staticfree6

United State

Thanks for the tips on approaching this "Please wait" interruption. I will attempt the unplug for 30 minutes solution and if that does not resolve it, then I will report it as Satch recommended.

staticfree6

United State

Well the cisco box is still rebooting at 12:00am (midnight) every night. The power off for 30 minutes did does not fix this quirk. fyi.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY
kudos:11

said by staticfree6:

Well the cisco box is still rebooting at 12:00am (midnight) every night. The power off for 30 minutes did does not fix this quirk. fyi.

I thought we established it was a guide update using the only available tuner.

Hob
--
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Satch

said by hobgoblin:

said by staticfree6:

I thought we established it was a guide update using the only available tuner.

Hob

That seems to make sense. Static's OP was misleading at first, because when he is talking about the "Please Wait" that's not a reboot, its a loading data message for the guide. The reboot is the approximate 2-5 minute time when your box has funny letters and symbols where the clock is.

This is the Tribune Media Services data updating from the server to the box. The solution for two tuners to potential avoid this issue, upgrade to a DVR box. I think all the non-DVR boxes only have one tuner.

Satch