Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

DaDawgs
Premium
join:2010-08-02
Deltaville, VA

UBNT M900 bridge

I set up an M900 bridge link last June PtP WDS. This evening is the first time I've had to take it down or reboot it. Very nice. I'm scared of updating the firmware. How is the latest firmware for this device?

wirelessdog

join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD
kudos:1

5.5.2 has been decent for me.

join:2011-04-18
reply to DaDawgs

5.5.2 is much better then the 5.3.x branch in my experience...

Also there have been some reports that the beta 5.5.4 alternative data rate is helping a substantial amount in noisy environments.

wirelessdog

Queen Anne, MD

said by Newbie:

Also there have been some reports that the beta 5.5.4 alternative data rate is helping a substantial amount in noisy environments.

That would be the placebo effect.

1 edit

ok.... A few posts I dug up.....

(Edited forgot against rules to post links from the UBNT beta forum)

wirelessdog

Queen Anne, MD
reply to DaDawgs

Right, because firmware fixes "trees" and "hidden nodes". Airmax is supposed to correct hidden node issues. Firmware does not correct physics. The second thread has a comparison between 5.5.2 with no Airmax and the beta with Airmax.

Firmware cannot change physics.

DaDawgs
Premium
Deltaville, VA

1 recommendation

reply to Newbie

Good for Ubiquiti! They are not allowing deep linking into their sites. If you don't have an account (I don't) you can't view the thread.

Those of us who remember why we came here in the days of "Kory" was that the other industry forum (whose name we do not speak ) was dominated by vendors and we wanted a forum which was vendor neutral.

I respect Ubituiti for limiting the linkage between DSLR and the Ubi forum by requiring membership in their forum.

So sorry, Newbie, but I can't read the thread unless I login and I forgot my login LONG ago. I'm not a fanboy. I'm a wireless engineer who selects the *BEST* product for my customer.

I'm hoping that Ubi is becoming that product. There have been some bumpy times but when "The Dog" tells me that he is reasonably satisfied with the current firmware, that speaks volumes. Ubi has hired some great engineers and they have some great employees. They have always tried to be responsive to their customer base and they have sometimes stumbled but they have generally been a great boon to the WISP industry.

It is a great product at a great price point... They just need to stop tripping over engineering issues, be brutally honest about marketing claims, reign in some of their fan boys and continue to march. That will make them the number one vendor in the industry.
--
Once we IPv6 enable every device on the Internet we will have toasters, baby monitors, and security cameras joining the bot nets which today are populated only by idiots that can not refrain from clicking, "Yes I would like to see those titties..."

jim_p_price7

join:2005-10-28
Henryetta, OK
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..
reply to wirelessdog

said by wirelessdog:

said by Newbie:

That would be the placebo effect.

I can say firsthand the 5.5.4 beta software does help in noisy environments. Anyone is free to PM me for more details.

wirelessdog

Queen Anne, MD
reply to DaDawgs

Why are the reasons secretive and requiring of a PM Jim?

wirelessdog

Queen Anne, MD
reply to DaDawgs

Michael-

Only the beta forums over at UBNT require a login.

wirelessdog

Queen Anne, MD
reply to DaDawgs

If you are referring to the Alternative Algorithm for Rate Modulation I think you will see this "black magic" to be about as good as the channel hopping. Everyone is imagining great results and opinions are all over the board because it really makes no difference.

webformix

join:2009-01-25
Bend, OR

I can't say that the 5.5.4b2 firmware with alternative data rate works well for the 900 series, but I do know that it helps for 2.4 for noisy/poor links. I'm really digging it.

DaDawgs
Premium
Deltaville, VA
reply to wirelessdog

said by wirelessdog:

Michael-

Only the beta forums over at UBNT require a login.

ah, so the tech being linked is still in beta?

LLigetfa

join:2006-05-15
Fort Frances, ON

Ja, would appear so. I have a regular (not 1337) account at UBNT and cannot access those links so infer they must be beta.

WHT

join:2010-03-26
Rosston, TX
kudos:5

said by LLigetfa:

I have a regular (not 1337) account at UBNT

*I* have a 1337 account! MuWahahhah..

»forum.ubnt.com/showthread.php?t=6057
said by samcamfilms;19047 :
I'm that bored lately that i noticed WHT user number here on the forums.

1337 = Hardcore pro @ etc a game, (but wireless in this case) in nerd slang.

[url]»ubnt.com/forum/profile.php?mode=···37[/url] is WHT

Now how lol is that!

DaDawgs
Premium
Deltaville, VA
reply to LLigetfa

said by LLigetfa:

Ja, would appear so. I have a regular (not 1337) account at UBNT and cannot access those links so infer they must be beta.

I do love the Ubnt packaging. Today I have my tilt over down and I'm hanging a 5.8 AP, 2.4 AP, and 900 PtP. Their packaging is just brilliant.

Hoping that the M900 improves on the link to my customer down the street. The 2.4 is so that we have 100% coverage on our property and to link the DSL to the house when I move everything to the base of the tower. The 5.8 is just for grins. Maybe some of the folks across the creek will want service and it lights them up.

But yeah, I do love what Ubiquiti is doing. They have done a lot to help this industry.

OT: My dog is going to have puppies some time around Christmas. I decided to let her mate with an enormous Chocolate Lab named Jethero. We just can't figure out whether to call them labherds or shepadores. You get a lot of money for proper branding of a mutt. What do you lads think? Christmas puppies, Yay!
--
Once we IPv6 enable every device on the Internet we will have toasters, baby monitors, and security cameras joining the bot nets which today are populated only by idiots that can not refrain from clicking, "Yes I would like to see those titties..."

SipSizzurp
Fo' Shizzle
Premium
join:2005-12-28
Houston, TX
kudos:4
reply to DaDawgs

said by DaDawgs:

How is the latest firmware for this device?

What problem or deficiency of operation with your existing firmware prompted your query ?

I've got bullets out there with 5.1 beta something on them. They have been delivering packets for years, and I haven't logged into them in over two.

DaDawgs
Premium
Deltaville, VA
reply to WHT

heh... yep WHT is 1337. But for the rest of us ...

DaDawgs
Premium
Deltaville, VA
reply to SipSizzurp

To be honest, and I should be, I am not using UBNT in it's TDMA mode and I am interested in possibly using that mode in the future, hence the question. Right now today I use Mikrotiks for my bridges because they are just damn bullet proof. Never-the-less it is important to keep up with all the vendors. Last time I checked Ubnt was having issues with their inability to sync their TDMA stuff between APs on the same tower, have they fixed that?
--

SipSizzurp
Fo' Shizzle
Premium
Houston, TX

said by DaDawgs:

Last time I checked Ubnt was having issues with their inability to sync their TDMA stuff between APs on the same tower, have they fixed that?

No, as far as I know they have completely given up, and the GPS stuff is no longer being sold.

WHT

Rosston, TX

said by SipSizzurp:

No, as far as I know they have completely given up, and the GPS stuff is no longer being sold.

The Rocket M5 GPS is active and the new Titanium M5 (though it has a few problems still). It was the Rocket M2 that was never sold.

SipSizzurp
Fo' Shizzle
Premium
Houston, TX

Looks like you are right. »www.streakwave.com/product-ubiquiti.asp

Is this stuff actually "stocked" and available, or just vapor ware ? I don't see much about it on the UBNT forum.

WHT

Rosston, TX

discussions are quite active on both products in the you be in UBNT forum, the a major bug has been found on the Titaniums.

jim_p_price7

Henryetta, OK
reply to wirelessdog

Nothing secretive. Figured if someone would PM me for info they'd likely be serious about the answer. Don't wish to get into any arguments (as in "that would be the placebo effect" kind of coment)

wirelessdog

Queen Anne, MD
reply to DaDawgs

I think anyone would be serious about the answer if it is legitimate. If you come here talking about voodoo magic in firmware it kind of reminds me about the company selling circular polarized antennas as the end-all for non-line of site.

Why is it so hard to believe a firmware update made the equipment more resilient to noise?

Lord knows everyone that has used UBNT 900 gear realizes that it works like garbage with any noise in the area, not hard to improve on that Nobody mentioned Vodoo magic that will blast through more trees, just that things are improving with the newest betas, thats it.

Also I'll delete the links above, I wasnt thinking and forgot about the beta rules. (What happens in beta, stays in beta)

wirelessdog

Queen Anne, MD

said by Newbie:

Why is it so hard to believe a firmware update made the equipment more resilient to noise?

Lord knows everyone that has used UBNT 900 gear realizes that it works like garbage with any noise in the area, not hard to improve on that Nobody mentioned Vodoo magic that will blast through more trees, just that things are improving with the newest betas, thats it.

Also I'll delete the links above, I wasnt thinking and forgot about the beta rules. (What happens in beta, stays in beta)

The posts to which you linked absolutely claimed better tree penetration and fixes to "hidden node" issues.

LLigetfa

join:2006-05-15
Fort Frances, ON
reply to WHT

said by WHT:

said by LLigetfa:

I have a regular (not 1337) account at UBNT

*I* have a 1337 account! MuWahahhah..

Your account # today is 1332 so it must have changed.

»forum.ubnt.com/member.php?u=1332

1337 is Daglin.
--
Strange as it seems, no amount of learning can cure stupidity, and formal education positively fortifies it. -- Stephen Vizinczey

jim_p_price7

Henryetta, OK
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..
reply to wirelessdog

said by wirelessdog:

I think anyone would be serious about the answer if it is legitimate. If you come here talking about voodoo magic in firmware it kind of reminds me about the company selling circular polarized antennas as the end-all for non-line of site.

5.5.4 Has an alternative rate modulation scheme. It's definitely helping a couple of my subs with fresnel issues. Rates tend to stick better instead of bouncing around all over the place. Normally I'd deal with that by fixing a rate. The alternative rate still allows the rates to shift down when necessary, but holds them steadier overall.