spc
uniqs
wirelessdog
join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD

wirelessdog to dadaniel

to dadaniel

Re: Reasonably Priced TDMA?

Airmax is working, yes. We had some issues with old RB532's a year or so ago. They were running old firmware with UBNT NS2 clients and had been chugging along without issue. We upgraded the firmware on the AP's and it killed them. Throughput went in the toilet. Downgrading to the old firmware didn't fix the issue. We switched over to a bullet on said AP and it worked ok no Airmax just RTS. When we started adding new customers we started seeing more and more throughput issues.

We switched over to Airmax and with 20 customers on this AP single 10mhz channel all legacy NS2 clients single chain we can see 4 megs to every single client. Our clients are running at 3megs and we have had no complaints since making the change. Thats been about a year ago now.

About six months ago we began changing anything 802.11 over to Airmax and haven't seen any notable issues.

The 900mhz product is still crappy compared to Moto in terms of robustness in noisy environments but if you can get the signal down to -68 or better in a low noise environment the throughput is pretty amazing.

DaDawgs
Premium Member
join:2010-08-02
Deltaville, VA

DaDawgs

Premium Member

Very good. Thanks for the info, dog. I am happy to hear this as we are working on a major deployment and I will feel comfortable recommending Airmax now.

Do you know, or does anyone know the chip size for the Airmax TDMA system. What is the smallest fragment size that the system sends in bits between clock ticks? With Moto it is 64 bytes.

This is important in VoIP and similar applications.
DaDawgs

DaDawgs to wirelessdog

Premium Member

to wirelessdog
said by wirelessdog:

The 900mhz product is still crappy compared to Moto in terms of robustness in noisy environments but if you can get the signal down to -68 or better in a low noise environment the throughput is pretty amazing.

I'm thinking this is likely the result of legacy attributes associated with the 802.11a/b/g/n protocol. The collision avoidance logic might be in hardware or firmware. If you can't turn it off, the radios would shut down in a high noise environment. Just guessing though.