signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

Voltage requirement for Z77?

An associate is planning on dropping the hammer on a build, he isn't as knowledgeable as many of you here. In another thread I saw mention of voltage issues with Intel processors/mainboards.

What voltage RAM is required for Z77 boards? Will 1.5 volt RAM work?

This is the board:

»www.asus.com/Motherboard ··· ications

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Yes, do not buy 1.65v ram.
Morris0
join:2011-05-14

Morris0

This is the link to ASUS qualified DRAM:

»www.asus.com/Motherboard ··· 77M/#MSL

AlphaOne
I see
Premium Member
join:2004-02-21

AlphaOne

Premium Member

I can't believe Asus still have those 1.65v DRAMs in the official QVL.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Alleged ram compatibility is a clusterfuck these days. I buy based on how good the ram is, not what the mobo manufacturer "claims" works in it.

But yeah, Asus should not be telling people it's OK to put 1.65v ram modules in Ivy Bridge.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS

said by Krisnatharok:

Alleged ram compatibility is a clusterfuck these days. I buy based on how good the ram is, not what the mobo manufacturer "claims" works in it.

But yeah, Asus should not be telling people it's OK to put 1.65v ram modules in Ivy Bridge.

I have 1.65 v QVL qualified Kingston memory in my Sandy Bridge Z77. It's fine.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

said by DKS:

I have 1.65 v QVL qualified Kingston memory in my Sandy Bridge Z77. It's fine.

Did the mobo automatically set it to 1333mhz / 1.5v? It should automatically undervolt to stay within spec, unless you went in and forced it back up to 1.65v.

It working right now =/= "it's fine." Degradation can occur slowly over years.

We discussed this back in early November: »Ivy Bridge and 1.65v ram = no-go?

My favorite quote out of the Reddit thread:

That's because you cannot hear 5 years from now into the future, when bapc builder cries in a foetal position wondering why his build just suddenly died one day, unable to play his newly bought pre-ordered Call of Duty 4:Modern Warfare 5:Team 6 Special Release:Day of Double Reckoning:Premium Edition:Microsoft Store Edition, because the incorrect RAM voltage was slowly eating at his processor. That and the fact that his 3570 was decaying slowly because of thermal insulation compound used by Intel is corroding his processor as well.

Also another good post on how this degradation will not be a given effect for every IB build running overvolted memory:

Just to clear up some misconceptions it seems like some people are having. There are two main reasons why 1.5v RAM is recommended aside from the fact that Intel's spec is 1.5v +/-5% for RAM. First, and the most important, is overclocking. Since Intel moved the memory controller off of the motherboard and onto the CPU die, voltage has a more direct impact on overclocking. Higher voltage RAM puts more stress on the Integrated Memory Controller (IMC) and can result in lower stable overclocks than with lower voltage RAM.

The second is long term life of the CPU. It should be noted that, to date, I have not seen an Ivy Bridge or Sandy Bridge CPU killed by higher voltage RAM. That said, the higher voltage puts more stress on the IMC and could potentially result in the CPU degrading faster. In other words, while some are insisting it will have long term negative effects, this is not certain as many have safely run higher voltage with SB. Given its smaller process, IB should actually handle higher voltages better. So if you already have 1.65v RAM, don't worry about it. Ideally you should undervolt it to around 1.6v, lower if you can, but it shouldn't be a big issue if you can't.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

Owen Sound, ON

DKS

And most of that is FUD. 99% of users will replace or upgrade their computer, processor and motherboard before any sign of degradation appear. As your quote says,
quote:
So if you already have 1.65v RAM, don't worry about it. Ideally you should undervolt it to around 1.6v, lower if you can, but it shouldn't be a big issue if you can't.

The memory was set to 1333 Mhz/1.5 volts on boot. It is warrantied for 1.65 volts.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

said by DKS:

And most of that is FUD. 99% of users will replace or upgrade their computer, processor and motherboard before any sign of degradation appear.

The problem being is that you can't guarantee that, and there is at least enough of a theoretical chance that the warnings are out there.

It would certainly be irresponsible to recommend that a new builder should use 1.65v ram.
said by DKS:

The memory was set to 1333 Mhz/1.5 volts on boot. It is warrantied for 1.65 volts.

It being the ram. Ram is cheap. A CPU is not.

I understand what you are saying--anyone out there who already built IB using 1.65v is probably safe for the next couple years at least, barring abnormally high ambient or on-die temps. New builders, however, should avoid the theoretical degradation problem (as well as the stability problem should they try to run 1.65v ram undervolted at 1600 mhz) by buying 1600 MHz/1.5v ram.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

Owen Sound, ON

DKS

said by Krisnatharok:

said by DKS:

And most of that is FUD. 99% of users will replace or upgrade their computer, processor and motherboard before any sign of degradation appear.

The problem being is that you can't guarantee that, and there is at least enough of a theoretical chance that the warnings are out there.

It would certainly be irresponsible to recommend that a new builder should use 1.65v ram.
said by DKS:

It being the ram. Ram is cheap. A CPU is not.

I understand what you are saying--anyone out there who already built IB using 1.65v is probably safe for the next couple years at least, barring abnormally high ambient or on-die temps. New builders, however, should avoid the theoretical degradation problem (as well as the stability problem should they try to run 1.65v ram undervolted at 1600 mhz) by buying 1600 MHz/1.5v ram.

Or sticking to the QVL table provided by the manufacturer. Then you can at least make a warranty claim.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Only if it's the mobo that goes--not if it's, as everyone is saying, the CPU that goes, since the memory controller was moved to the CPU from the mobo.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

Owen Sound, ON

DKS

said by Krisnatharok:

Only if it's the mobo that goes--not if it's, as everyone is saying, the CPU that goes, since the memory controller was moved to the CPU from the mobo.

And again, that is unlikely.