spc
Search similar:

uniqs

steelingbox
join:2005-07-09
Casselberry, FL

steelingbox

Every channel flagged as copy once?

Im trying to set up a mythtv backend using a hdhomerun hd prime with 2 cable cards but I cannot for the life of me to lock on to any channels. Can anyone confirm that brighthouse flags every single channel as copy once? I understand doing this to the premium channels but all of them?
I should note that if I switch to an OTA antenna mythtv has no problems finding channels.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

All channnels with the exception of your locals are copy once.
BHNtechXpert

BHNtechXpert to steelingbox

Premium Member

to steelingbox
Consider also following this thread....

»Using CableCard/HDhomerun Prime? Feedback Wanted

steelingbox
Casselberry, FL

steelingbox

Well thats just dandy.... As far as i knew TWC were the only ones doing this. Well I guess ill just cancel my tv in the morning and save myself $200 a month at home, $100 at the office and move to OTA.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

Premium Member

to steelingbox
You can get around that by streaming to an Xbox or to Windows media center appliance. They are tough to find and a bit on the pricey side but they are out there.
rabeatz
join:2012-11-26
Winter Springs, FL

1 edit

rabeatz to steelingbox

to steelingbox
At the moment, unfortunately, using Windows and Windows Media Center and their extenders is the only way to go. But.....

Check out our thread that BHNtechXpert linked, there is a glimmer of hope. SiliconDust is working on their own solution around this. Supposed to be in phase 1 by the end of this month. I'd give that a chance before cancelling - I know how you feel, I wanted to do the same thing with Linux instead of Windows. Until then, you could give Windows Media Center a try. I just set up my HDHRPrime less than a month ago and 'settled' for it, and I'm somewhat happy with it.

Here are links RE: What SiliconDust is working on.

»Using CableCard/HDhomerun Prime? Feedback Wanted

»www.silicondust.com/comp ··· ny/news/

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· youtu.be

»www.silicondust.com/foru ··· php?f=47

»www.engadget.com/2012/12 ··· live-tv/
rabeatz

rabeatz

It's still in the works but it's got potential, and I'd assume they're going to be handling alot of the licensing with the DTCP-IP since they want it to work on a wide variety of devices.
rabeatz

rabeatz to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
said by BHNtechXpert:

You can get around that by streaming to an Xbox or to Windows media center appliance. They are tough to find and a bit on the pricey side but they are out there.

Don't forget the Ceton Echo. It's been released now. So, not too tough to find. But at that price you can just buy another Xbox...

bigdaddy
join:2009-11-18

bigdaddy to rabeatz

to rabeatz
said by rabeatz:

I'll note that it seems that alot of providers are moving in this direction. Verizon went from copy freely TO copy-once on almost everything back in July.

rabeatz the information you stated about Verizon FiOS TV is Incorrect. All the Channels are Copy Freely except for HBO and Cinemax they are set to copy once.
rabeatz
Winter Springs, FL

rabeatz

I stand corrected, I must have read the article wrong. It is only on premium channels. I edited my post to reflect that.

»www.engadget.com/2012/06 ··· py-once/

bigdaddy

bigdaddy

No Problem

Only on HBO and Cinemax.
»Good News

steelingbox
Casselberry, FL

steelingbox

I am doing this with windows media center on 4 machines but it sucks so bad I want to get away from it desperately. I like the WMC interface but no one is writing new addons for it that I could find, it crashes randomly, the netflix plugin has broken several times over the few years ive been using it, and I cant save recorded shows to my NAS and share them with other machines. Though I dont think that MS has any control over the last one.
I am using a combination of XBMC and WMC to do the things I want but would rather have one solution to do everything.
steelingbox

steelingbox to rabeatz

to rabeatz
Well it isnt going to help anyone that has a cable company that flags everything as copy once. XBMC or any other open source project is not going to license DTCP-IP unless I have misunderstood the article.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

Premium Member

to steelingbox
said by steelingbox:

I am doing this with windows media center on 4 machines but it sucks so bad I want to get away from it desperately. I like the WMC interface but no one is writing new addons for it that I could find, it crashes randomly, the netflix plugin has broken several times over the few years ive been using it, and I cant save recorded shows to my NAS and share them with other machines. Though I dont think that MS has any control over the last one.
I am using a combination of XBMC and WMC to do the things I want but would rather have one solution to do everything.

Right now the industry is in the middle of the "grey zone" where no solutions really work that well...this is changing quickly...I say within the next year or so expect to see some significant changes that will benefit all especially from the content transportability standpoint. How it ultimately gets adopted remains to be seen but there is significant light at the end of this tunnel...
rabeatz
Winter Springs, FL

rabeatz to steelingbox

to steelingbox
My hope is that SiliconDust develops some sort of closed source DTCP-IP plugin for xbmc since it'd seem that they're already paying for the licensing. That's my hope but we'll see what actually pans out.

steelingbox
Casselberry, FL

1 edit

steelingbox

said by rabeatz:

My hope is that SiliconDust develops some sort of closed source DTCP-IP plugin for xbmc since it'd seem that they're already paying for the licensing. That's my hope but we'll see what actually pans out.

I have dropped Brighthouse cable and Im giving up on SiliconDust too. I purchased the 6 tuner model when it first came available but it looks like they have completely erased any traces of its existence from the internet, for what reason I have no idea.
Im now using an OTA antenna, 4 Happauge tuners, MythTV backend, and XBMC connected to all of my tv. I am extremely pleased with the setup and kinda upset I didnt do it sooner.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by steelingbox:

said by rabeatz:

I have dropped Brighthouse cable and Im giving up on SiliconDust too. I purchased the 6 tuner model when it first came available but it looks like they have completely erased any traces of its existence from the internet, for what reason I have no idea.
Im now using an OTA antenna, 4 Happauge tuners, MythTV backend, and XBMC connected to all of my tv. I am extremely pleased with the setup and kinda upset I didnt do it sooner.

Erased your existence?

steelingbox
Casselberry, FL

steelingbox

No BHN. Try looking for the 6 tuner prime and you will come up empty handed.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

1 edit

Premium Member

to steelingbox
Oh oh....I was thinkin....geez I'm good but *not* NSA good lol

bigdaddy

2 edits

bigdaddy to steelingbox

to steelingbox
said by steelingbox:

Try looking for the 6 tuner prime and you will come up empty handed.

Look's like it's been Discontinued and for good reason you know the HDHR3-6CC-3X2 needed two cable cards, two tuning adapters and two Gigabit Ethernet port's it was basically two unit's in one. And no the Product page was not Erased from the innternet here is the URL »www.silicondust.com/prod ··· 6cc-3x2/

Keep an eye out for new products form silicon dust and ceton corp at this year's CES 2013.
rabeatz
Winter Springs, FL

rabeatz

said by bigdaddy:

said by steelingbox:

Try looking for the 6 tuner prime and you will come up empty handed.

Look's like it's been Discontinued and for good reason you know the HDHR3-6CC-3X2 needed two cable cards, two tuning adapters and two Gigabit Ethernet port's it was basically two unit's in one. And no the Product page was not Erased from the innternet here is the URL »www.silicondust.com/prod ··· 6cc-3x2/

Keep an eye out for new products form silicon dust and ceton corp at this year's CES 2013.

Yeah, the 6 tuner prime was essentially two of the three tuner ones stacked on top of each other.

steelingbox
Casselberry, FL

steelingbox to bigdaddy

to bigdaddy
Not really sure why it was a good reason to discontinue it as the appeal of the device was to place everything in one unit. Requiring 2 cable cards is a limitation by the card itself and not the hardware. You still need 2 cable cards, 2 tuning adapters, and 2 ethernet ports if you want/require 6 streams but now you have to add an extra power cord to the mix, 2 devices you cant mount in a rack, and would require you to spend about 75-100 dollars more buying the two 3 tuner models compared to the 6 tuner.
I guess this is going to make it hard for me to unload this thing on ebay now that its a discontinued item.
CableGuRu2
join:2012-03-02
Geneva, FL

1 edit

CableGuRu2

Actually...its a hardware/system limitation. The cable card (s) we use have a limit of 6Stream. However, BHN system is not setup(yet??BHNTechExpert would now more on when and if we expect to support it) to allow anything more then 2 out of the cablecard.

note: here is the spec sheet on the cards we use

»www.cisco.com/en/US/prod ··· 99eb.pdf
ecollin23
join:2012-12-15
Orlando, FL

1 edit

ecollin23

Don't you allow M-cards to support 4 streams on Ceton InfiniTV products? I think the SiliconDust limitation is based more on the fact that they support operation in a 100 Mbit LAN environment. Ceton uses USB and/or PCIslots both of which have more bandwidth than a 100Mbit lan. I have a SiliconDust tuner and one Cablecard supports all three tuners and one tuning adapter.
CableGuRu2
Geneva, FL

CableGuRu2

I would have to check with BHNtechXpert to be 100% sure only because I have not seen nor heard of any of my guys running into quads out in the field; only the duals.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

Premium Member

to steelingbox
By specification a "Multi-Stream" CableCARD (M-Card) can decode up to six channels simultaneously. I personally have never seen it done but that doesn't mean much.
CableGuRu2
Geneva, FL

CableGuRu2

TiVo was "supposed" to release a 6tuner distribution hub, a server more or less, this year but i think it was delayed for some reasons. So something to look forward to...
ecollin23
join:2012-12-15
Orlando, FL

ecollin23 to CableGuRu2

to CableGuRu2
People that have multiple tuner devices that use cablecards will do almost anything to keep the cable company from coming inside their house They don't want to have to explain their setup to someone who will never believe it can work. They will pick up the card and call in for activation or use a forum like this where people appear to have more experience with the new products. I believe that is why your guys haven't seen them in the field.
ecollin23

1 edit

ecollin23

I also want to take this opportunity to share my reasons for even trying such bleeding edge technology. I went for several years using the converter boxes. About three years ago I bought an audio receiver that has the ability to switch HDMI signals. When I called Brighthouse to see if they had any HDMI converter boxes I was told I would have to drive in and see because the agents on the phone cannot see what is in the store. To make a long story short they didn't have any HDMI converter boxes in stock AND they had closed the office near me so I had to drive much farther just to find out they did not have what I needed. They told me I could schedule a truck roll but they could not guarantee what boxes the tech would have. I am not saying Brighthouse is a bad company. What I am trying to convey is that by allowing me to buy and install the products that are important to me, you have created a very loyal customer. No other Orlando programming provider gives me that choice and I appreciate the fact that you do.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by ecollin23:

I also want to take this opportunity to share my reasons for even trying such bleeding edge technology. I went for several years using the converter boxes. About three years ago I bought an audio receiver that has the ability to switch HDMI signals. When I called Brighthouse to see if they had any HDMI converter boxes I was told I would have to drive in and see because the agents on the phone cannot see what is in the store. To make a long story short they didn't have any HDMI converter boxes in stock AND they had closed the office near me so I had drive much farther just to find out they did not have what I needed. They told me I could schedule a truck roll but they could not guarantee what boxes the tech would have. I am not saying Brighthouse is a bad company. What I am trying to convey is that by allowing me to buy and install the products that are important to me, you have created a very loyal customer. No other Orlando programming provider gives me that choice and I appreciate the fact that you do.

In all honesty there's a reason why reps cannot call the lobby locations and simply stated we want the lobby reps focused on you not our reps calling them. We no longer have HD boxes without HDMI so this won't be a problem going forward