uniqs
share rss forum feed

Zionikk

join:2012-12-08
North Baltimore, OH
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

Upgrading PC, Need Opinions

I have a Dell Optiplex 360 at the moment. First off, ill give my current specs and then I'll list what I plan on getting for the upgrade.

Current Specs-

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E7500 @ 2.93GHz
Memory(RAM): 2.00 GB
Graphics: Intel G33/G31 Express Chipset Family
Gaming Graphics: 256 MB Total available graphics memory

I have Windows 7 Professional 32-bit

Now here is what I plan on upgrading to:

Memory: 8 GB DDR3
Grpahics: XFX- ATI Radeon HD 6670
Power Supply: 520w

I plan on keeping my current processor and motherboard for now because I only have a little bit of cash to put to a PC.

I'm looking to play games on my computer such as Guild Wars 2, Aion, Chivalry, Medieval Warfare, Skyrim and more.

What do you guys think about my upgrade plans? Think there is anything I should change?

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5

said by Zionikk:

I have a Dell Optiplex 360 at the moment. First off, ill give my current specs and then I'll list what I plan on getting for the upgrade.

Current Specs-

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E7500 @ 2.93GHz
Memory(RAM): 2.00 GB
Graphics: Intel G33/G31 Express Chipset Family
Gaming Graphics: 256 MB Total available graphics memory

I have Windows 7 Professional 32-bit

Now here is what I plan on upgrading to:

Memory: 8 GB DDR3
Grpahics: XFX- ATI Radeon HD 6670
Power Supply: 520w

I plan on keeping my current processor and motherboard for now because I only have a little bit of cash to put to a PC.

I'm looking to play games on my computer such as Guild Wars 2, Aion, Chivalry, Medieval Warfare, Skyrim and more.

What do you guys think about my upgrade plans? Think there is anything I should change?

8gb of RAM running 32bit Windows 7 is useless. 32bit doesn't even utilize that amount of RAM.

You're pretty much in need of a full rebuild. Because whatever you upgrade, you're going to be severely bottlenecked in other places.

I can tell you this, Guild Wars is very CPU intensive.

Personally, I wouldn't throw money at that machine of yours.

Zionikk

North Baltimore, OH
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

Trust me I don't want to, but its really the only choice that I have for now. Maybe I won't get the ram, I don't know a whole lot about computers so I wasn't aware of that. How much does it utilize anyways?

But I don't see what the gpu and power supply would hurt. I could always put it in my complete build when I get the money to purchase it all. But for now I can only buy a few pieces at a time.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
reply to Zionikk

Your motherboard doesn't support DDR3. I believe it supports DDR2 800, which is prohibitively expensive, compared to the current DDR3.

Here's your planned upgrade budget:
8GB DDR3 Memory: $40
Radeon 6670: $85
PSU: $55
Total: $180

I suggest that you skip the ram for now (Windows 32-bit can only use 3.25 GB), but get the PSU and a Radeon 7770.

Hopefully you can afford the rest of your upgrade in a couple months.

Heck, if you are near a Microcenter (or know a friend near one), you can get the Intel Core i3-3220 CPU and the MSI Z77A-G41 motherboard for $125 together as an in-store bundle. 8 GB DDR3 1600 kits are as cheap as another $30, so for $155 you get a current CPU/mobo/ram.

But your CPU is going to severely bottleneck whatever you put in your current rig, so I wouldn't do any upgrades to it as a long-term solution.
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Zionikk

North Baltimore, OH
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

Thanks. I think I will start out with the GPU and PSU for now. Then in a couple weeks, possibly a month I'm going to purchase my new CPU, motherboard, and ram. As well as a new hard drive.

I'm looking to put it all in a new case with built in fans. So any recommendations on that would be appreciated.

I was wondering if anyone knew how much I could maybe overclock my E7500 before it starts to overheat. I've never overclocked before. It would just be temporary until I got my new cpu.

This might be an odd way of upgrading, but its the only choice I have until I get started on my new job in January.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

There's quite a few bargain/affordable cases around the $50 mark you should consider, although at this price they typically only come with 1 fan, so you should budget another $20-30 to buy a couple 120mm fans to utilize in the case (I like these Yate Loons):

Rosewill Challenger - $50

Corsair Carbide 300R $80 - $10 MIR - $20 instant code (use code EMCJHHJ25 at checkout) = $50

Cooler Master Elite 430 (CM has a bunch of cases in this price-range, check out the 335 and 371 as well)

NZXT Source 210 White - $50

Thermaltake V3 - $45
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Zionikk

North Baltimore, OH
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

Took a look at one of the links above and stumbled upon this: COOLER MASTER Storm Scout SGC-2000-KKN1-GP Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case.

I think I might get that one, I like the design and the fact that it has 3 pre installed fans.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

The Scout is a really good case, and with the $20 MIR and $10 instant discount (use code EMCJHHN62 at checkout, expires 12/26/12) is only $50 as well:

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···11119196
--

me1212

join:2008-11-20
Pleasant Hill, MO
reply to Krisnatharok

the i3 3220 isn't on sale with the motherboard combo this month, just the 3225 which costs $120 by itself there. At least according to the sale ad I got a few days ago.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

I pulled the prices directly from the Microcenter ad on their website.

me1212

join:2008-11-20
Pleasant Hill, MO

Hmm well crap, maybe mine isn't doing the bundle this month.

Zionikk

North Baltimore, OH
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to Zionikk

Honestly I have no idea what a Microcenter is...haha.

But today I got the Ati Radeon HD 6770 1GB DDR5 and a 520w PSU.

I picked it up directly from a Bestbuy that had them in stock. Together it came to $170. I don't know if that's a good price but I wasn't concerned at the time.

The card was $99.99 on sale and the PSU was $59.99. I know you told me I should get the Radeon 7770 but I didn't have the cash.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

said by Zionikk:

I picked it up directly from a Bestbuy that had them in stock. Together it came to $170. I don't know if that's a good price but I wasn't concerned at the time.

It's not.

I would not recommend blowing what little cash you have at a place like Best Buy that charges full MSRP for shitty components.

Return whatever it is you got and buy from Newegg--you will save a lot of money:

SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6670 1GB $50 with MIR

OR (since you clearly have the cash):

SAPPHIRE 100358L Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 - $105 with MIR

AND

CORSAIR Builder Series CX500 500W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply - $50 with MIR

That's $100 (or $155 if you went with the 7770) total, and still cheaper than what you paid. And just knowing the PSUs that Best Buy sells, I guarantee you the Corsair will provide cleaner, more stable and efficient power and safely protect your components should it get fried.
--

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5
reply to Zionikk

Oh god....Best Buy.

It's amazing that place stays in business with their prices.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to Zionikk

said by Zionikk:

Honestly I have no idea what a Microcenter is...haha.

There are two Microcenters in Ohio. In-store prices of Intel CPUs are the lowest you will find, period.

»www.microcenter.com/site/stores/default.aspx
--

Zionikk

North Baltimore, OH
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

Oh well the problem with me is that I don't have a debit/credit card, so I can't really order online.

But my girlfriend does lots of online shopping and sometimes buys me things online. So I'm going to see if she will let me use her card if I pay her cash.

I went to the store because I wanted the stuff asap. But if you suggest I return it I probably will.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

Your other alternative is to get to Microcenter and purchase in-store.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

I believe both of the stores closest to him would be a couple hours away. The Cincy store would be about 3 hours to 3.5 hours away. Columbus would be about 2 hours I think.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain