Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Logan Five

join:2001-09-06
Berea, OH

[OS X] Partition a drive

Hi,

I am going to buy a OWC 1.5 TB external hard drive (5400 rpm) to use for Time Machine backups and use CCC to clone my main drive and make a bootable clone. My early 2010 Macbook Pro has a 250 GB hard drive and I have 500 GB G-drive mini I have been using for Time Machine backups (since Apr-May 2010 and yet to have to erase any old backups).

I am not sure how I should partition the drive as far as space goes. I am not sure how big bootable clones can be and I would probably make one each week. Any suggestions how big the clone side should be?

Thank you,
Logan
--
“When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying, 'Damn, that was fun'.”

Groucho Marx

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11

The clone will be exactly the same size as the currently used space of your startup disk.

In Finder, press Command + Shift + C, then select your startup disk. Then press Command + I or File > Get Info. Look at the "Used" number. That's the minimum size you'd want to make your clone partition. The maximum size is the total available space (250GB). Personally, I'd pick 250GB as you never know when you'll fill up your drive.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

Logan Five

Berea, OH

Hi,

Thank you. Right now I am using 167 GB on my Mac. If I make multiple bootable clones (say 1 each week), 250 GB would be fine to allocate for the clone side? Would that not fill it up rather quickly or would it save them as Time Machine does with many old versions? Does the weekly clone would only "add" anything new to the "bootable clone"?

If so then maybe 1.5 is more than I need since the G-Drive mini is still keeping all old backups 2.5 years later.

Thanks again,
Logan
--
“When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying, 'Damn, that was fun'.”

Groucho Marx

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11

I'm not sure what you mean by multiple bootable clones. When you clone a drive regularly, you usually don't keep a copy of the old clone - you just update it to match what's currently on the master drive. So every time you clone the drive, you have an exact 1:1 copy - no archives.

If you want to archive deleted files, Carbon Copy Cloner now has that option, but I never used it. You will obviously need more space to store the archives and that depends on how much stuff you delete and add on a regular basis. If you're already using Time Machine, I see no point in doing this.

If you actually want multiple bootable clones, you'll need multiple partitions. You can't have two separate bootable clones on one partition.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

Logan Five

Berea, OH

Thanks - now I get it. It keeps just the most current clone so I only need to partition the clone side as big as my Mac hard drive. The rest of the space can be used for additional Time Machine backups.

Since that is the case and I have a 500 GB G-Drive mini as well, perhaps I will just get the 1 TB at 7200.

Thanks again, that really helped!

Logan
--

Groucho Marx