Premium Member
join:2005-04-06
Cayuga, ON

Inssomniak to twizlar

Premium Member

to twizlar

Re: Own ARIN IPs

said by twizlar:

Yeah sorry I should have clarified more. You would simply sign agreements with 2 providers for bandwidth and then have it backhauled to your routers/pop. You don't need to place your router at the datacenter, you can have both connections backhauled over a vlan to your pop.

You would buy a 100mbit port to both providers and then purchase however much bandwidth you needed based on 95th percentile. Realistically you could probably get 100mbit unmetered connections for around $300-400 each plus your backhaul costs. Once you get close to needing 100mbit it is usually cheaper to backhaul it and purchase your own transit this way versus buying 100mbit of bandwidth from your provider.

This would meet all the requirements of being dual homed and would allow you to get an ASN and an IP allocation.

If you don't mind me asking who are you getting the fibre from?

Ill PM you.

Since you are in the same area as me.... Id buy a 100mb "backhaul" from Shaw to 151. Then I get 2 providers, they backhaul it to me. (I dont understand how they hook that up at the DC though?). I never understood 95th percentile. I peak around 75 megabit in the evening.

So Shaw would bill me a backhaul fee, then each provider would bill me for transit. ?

All while meeting multi homed requirements?

twizlar
I dont think so.
Premium Member
join:2003-12-24
Brantford, ON

twizlar

Premium Member

Yep, thats exactly how it would work. Shaw would give you a vlan across their network and terminating on their router/switch at 151 Front Street. You would then contract 2 providers and purchase bandwidth from them. You would work with your fibre provider to backkhaul the bandwidth to your location, typically this portion is fairly easy to do though.

The only thing you need to watch out for is cross connect fees if your provider isn't willing to drop your vlan into the meet me room.

Semaphore
Premium Member
join:2003-11-18

Semaphore to Inssomniak

Premium Member

to Inssomniak
I use a Freeware app called Observium to monitor some of my commercial customers who are billed on 95th. You could use it to monitor yourself. Basically it takes utilization samples at regular intervals (typically 5 minutes) and discards the top 5% of the samples. What you're left with is the 95th.

95th is a "good idea" if your traffic is bursty; you get about 36 hours a month where you can hit 100% but you are being billed for 95% of that. Most providers look at in and out traffic separately and bill for the highest of the two.

Some will charge you steep overage fees if you exceed your 95th though so you need to be careful in that regard.

I wish independent transit was an option in my area. I had to build 40kms in each direction just to reach a single supplier at each end. LOL Forget about transit. Should be glad I have light.

twizlar
I dont think so.
Premium Member
Brantford, ON

twizlar

Premium Member

All transit providers are going to bill you at 95th percentile, however a good portion of them also offer full usage ports as well.

If you can reach any of the fibre suppliers you can probably have it backhauled pretty cheaply. Rogers has plenty of assets in your area.

Semaphore
Premium Member

Semaphore

Premium Member

Yeah Rogers, Quest, Cogeco and Bell (via EORN) are my choices for 'real' carriers. I'm currently with two of them. Cheap is not in the vocabulary here I'm afraid, and just backhaul without transit is almost as expense as transit via the carrier. Add on the absolute lack of cooperation and it's just a complete cluster f___.

twizlar
I dont think so.
Premium Member
Brantford, ON

twizlar

Premium Member

That is pretty strange, I recall quoting out several backhaul only circuits in your area on rogers fibre for roughly $950 for 100/100.
jcremin
join:2009-12-22
Siren, WI

jcremin

said by twizlar:

That is pretty strange, I recall quoting out several backhaul only circuits in your area on rogers fibre for roughly $950 for 100/100.

I'd jump on that in a heartbeat. The CHEAPEST 100/100 backhaul only circuit I've been able to get a quote for in my area was around $3500.

Semaphore
Premium Member

Semaphore to twizlar

Premium Member

to twizlar
Umm. You sure you know where I am ? Not saying it can't be done but I'd be surprised if you can hit that mark in this area. Robbers's port access fee alone is $1,200 per month. Bandwidth is on top of that and it's in excess of $18 per Mbps per month at 100 Mbps. I pay less than that with my primary provider but not by much.... and again I can't get friggin IP's to save my soul.

twizlar
I dont think so.
Premium Member
Brantford, ON

twizlar

Premium Member

You are up near carp correct? I quoted out two separate locations close to carp with the same pricing.

Semaphore
Premium Member

Semaphore

Premium Member

Yup. I sent you a PM with my contact info.