uniqs
share rss forum feed

peterboro
Premium
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON
reply to zacron

Re: [Weather] Special weather statement - WOCN11 CWTO 201145

I want to publicly thank Gone for talking me into Shaw satellite as I have no tv to watch tonight.

Compounded by the fact that titty movies appear at midnight, and I'm really into Stormy Daniel's excellent screenwriting, directing and acting will leave me emotionally distraught.

I want you to think long and hard Gone about what you have done to me.

dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

odd...back in my Bell days, i never lost signal, even during the heaviest of storms...i do recall (at least back then), Bell had high powered satellites, and my dish had zero obstructions (perfect line of sight) and the installer who mounted it did a flawless job aiming it (100% signal on all transponders)...i think the lowest i ever saw it get during a heavy storm (where others were talking about losing signal) was something like 92%...my issue with Bell was never about their services...it was always billing and CS.
--
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

- George Orwell

peterboro
Premium
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON

I just got the dish this fall and we are getting wet heavy snow now. I guess now i know why when I drive around i see ladders up under dishes all winter.

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
reply to peterboro

said by peterboro:

I want to publicly thank Gone for talking me into Shaw satellite as I have no tv to watch tonight.

You're saving money and are no longer a Cogeco subscriber. You're welcome.

If snow or ice is sticking to the dish, spray it with pam. Seriously. Snow typically doesn't cause me issues unless it's the heavy wet stuff that sticks to the dish, as you're seeing.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
kudos:2

1 edit

Click for full size
said by Gone:

If snow or ice is sticking to the dish, spray it with pam. Seriously. Snow typically doesn't cause me issues unless it's the heavy wet stuff that sticks to the dish, as you're seeing.

Unless, like me, you have to get up on the roof at least once a winter to dig out the freaking dish BECAUSE IT'S BURIED IN SNOW!
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON

said by DKS:

Unless, like me, you have to get up on the roof at least once a winter to dig out the freaking dish BECAUSE IT'S BURIED IN SNOW!

Hahaha, good ol' Owen Sound

dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON
reply to DKS

surely there is a better spot to mount that, isn't there?

koira
Keep Fighting Michael
Premium
join:2004-02-16

I used to have ours on the roof but between the wind and snow and potential for leaks. Ended up with the dish on a pole in the yard. I was lucky to get a line of sight over the house though.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
kudos:2
reply to dirtyjeffer

said by dirtyjeffer:

surely there is a better spot to mount that, isn't there?

No. Side of the house is too low. Line of tall trees in the back yards on the other side of the street. I get 92% signal or better all thee time, unless the snow buries the dish.
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.

koira
Keep Fighting Michael
Premium
join:2004-02-16
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..

Looking at your photo , you might be able to use a j pole with base attached under the eve
»www.thesatelliteshop.net/eave-mo···401.html

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to Gone

said by Gone:

said by peterboro:

You're saving money and are no longer a Cogeco subscriber. You're welcome.

Canada doesn't enjoy the micro-climate that Fort Erie has. That entire part of Ontario rarely gets much weather.

Although I do agree that no longer being a customer of Cogeco is likely worth it.

Although I am not sure why people bother we cable or satellite anymore..
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON

said by J E F F:

Canada doesn't enjoy the micro-climate that Fort Erie has. That entire part of Ontario rarely gets much weather.

Um, the climate varies across all of Canada. Either way, Fort Erie doesn't have a microclimate. It's the same Lake Erie shore climate that stretches from Essex County up through here, though we tend to get more snow than places like Leamington do.

If you have said Beamsville, Vineland, St. Catharines or NOTL - basically anywhere below the escarpment on the peninsula - then you would have been correct about microclimates. They're distinctly unique, rarely ever getting snow - compared to the rest of Canada, anyway - and with winter temperatures that are usually above freezing. Niagara Falls and Fort Erie, comparatively, get a shitload of snow compared to areas immediately to the north of here or even the southern parts of the GTA.

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..

said by Gone:

If you have said Beamsville, Vineland, St. Catharines or NOTL - basically anywhere below the escarpment on the peninsula - then you would have been correct about microclimates. They're distinctly unique, rarely ever getting snow - compared to the rest of Canada, anyway - and with winter temperatures that are usually above freezing. Niagara Falls and Fort Erie, comparatively, get a shitload of snow compared to areas immediately to the north of here or even the southern parts of the GTA.

Yeah, I think that is what I meant. For some reason, I thought Fort Erie was part of that. That's basically anything east of Stoney Creek and West of Niagara Falls.

Good grape growing country too.

Weird how that part get's so little snow.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON

Hah yeah, that's the exact location of the microclimate, but there's another separate microclimate within a small section of Niagara Falls itself near the actual Falls.

When I worked in St. Cats but lived in NF it was weird. It would be snowing like crazy in Niagara Falls when I left for work. The moment you'd pass Mountain Road on the QEW the snow would stop, the sun would be shining and you'd see grass. My car would still be covered in snow and everyone in St. Cats would give me a weird look. Going home at the end of the day I would take the 406 and 58. The weather would be nice as I entered the Thorold Tunnel, and as I emerged on the Niagara Falls side the snow storm would commence and by the time I'd get home the piles of snow on my street would be taller than a minivan.

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable

This microclimate is exactly why I moved to St. Catharines. The amount of effort I engage in removing snow from anything is minimal, maybe a few times a year I'll shovel the walk way. I think maybe once I had to clear out my driveway in the past few years.

I just came from Niagara Falls, exactly 12 minutes from where I am now, and there's a blanket of snow on the ground. Here? Whatever the term is when there's a dusting that almost imperceptable, where you see more ground than snow.

I'm genuinely interested to know how the weather here compares to Leamington, Ontario, since Leamington is pretty much the largest most southern municipality you can find in Canada.

mr weather
Premium
join:2002-02-27
Mississauga, ON

Leamington is moderated by the lake, especially in the summer when southernly winds cool down after a 60km journey over water.

In winter they'll sometimes get good dumpings of snow if the wind is from the west.
--
"It's all coming down!!" - Mike Holmes

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON

said by mr weather:

Leamington is moderated by the lake, especially in the summer when southernly winds cool down after a 60km journey over water.
In winter they'll sometimes get good dumpings of snow if the wind is from the west.

That's the same as Fort Erie - or anywhere along Lake Erie for that matter - except that in Fort Erie specifically we get more snow as we're in the perfect position to get Lake Effect snow from three lakes - Erie, Ontario and even Huron. Lake Huron snow is a lot more common down here than people would think.

It's beautiful in the summer down here though, always cooler than the surrounding area.

mr weather
Premium
join:2002-02-27
Mississauga, ON

said by Gone:

It's beautiful in the summer down here though, always cooler than the surrounding area.

Indeed. Mrs. Weather is from there (I grew up in Windsor) and during summertime visits it's always a refreshing change going from my parents in Windsor to my in-laws in Leamington.
--
"It's all coming down!!" - Mike Holmes

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
kudos:3

haha I always chuckle when a thread concerning weather has a new post notification from "mr weather". The expert weather man has something to say!

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
reply to mr weather

said by mr weather:

Indeed. Mrs. Weather is from there (I grew up in Windsor) and during summertime visits it's always a refreshing change going from my parents in Windsor to my in-laws in Leamington.

I'm near the lake here in town. When I go for walks in the summer there is a certain point where if you take one step the air gets gold, and if you go back a step it's warmer and humid. Where that line is depends on the direction and speed of the wind.