Any thoughts or is it just me?
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

Why are you testing to a New Jersey server?
Just Bob
Premium Member
join:2000-08-13
Spring Hill, FL

Just Bob

Premium Member

Because that's what is offered at dslreports
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to Just Bob

Premium Member

to Just Bob
As much as I like DSLR I would not use their speed tests (thats one). Two you should be testing to the server nearest you with http based tests. »speedtest.bhn.net/
Just Bob
Premium Member
Spring Hill, FL

Just Bob

Premium Member

46.4 down and 5.82 up

I have a sense that Brighthouse can provide the marketed speed. Unfortunately, once you get beyond the local NOC it just doesn't happen.

I'm thinking there's not much need for a very fast car when you can only use it in your own driveway.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to Just Bob

Premium Member

to Just Bob
LOL um no that would not be the case... here... there are two tests below..it helps when you actually test to a decent server.

»www.ispgeeks.com/wild/mo ··· pipSpeed
Atlanta

»www.ispgeeks.com/wild/mo ··· peedTest
Dallas
Just Bob
Premium Member
Spring Hill, FL

Just Bob

Premium Member

Both show results on a par with the local speed test.

So...are you thinking there are network problems in the northeast?
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

1 recommendation

BHNtechXpert to Just Bob

Premium Member

to Just Bob
No I'm thinking lousy test and server. The location isn't the worlds best as well. Remember most of these places (like DSLR) use donor servers. They don't certify those test sites nor ensure they remain quality test servers over time. So you get what you get by going to random places on the net. You also need to consider distance from the server and the method of testing. The NJ server you used does not use an industry accepted testing platform unlike the three sites I sent you to.
Just Bob
Premium Member
Spring Hill, FL

Just Bob

Premium Member

Thanks for your input. I spend time at dkos which also has its servers in the northeast (NYC). That's why I ran the first speedtest. It's very slow tonight.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to Just Bob

Premium Member

to Just Bob
The industry accepts data from 3 testing platforms only...

Sam Knows
Ookla
Visualware

Any site offering a home brewed or a fancy flash uncertified testing platform is just wasting your time and there are plenty of them out there...most nothing more than a landing page with ads and lots of technomumbojumbo thats designed to impress you but will do nothing but leave you scratchin your head.

You were sent to sites that use Ookla and Visualware platforms. Sam Knows you will need to sign up to become a volunteer.
Just Bob
Premium Member
Spring Hill, FL

Just Bob

Premium Member

Thank you, but that doesn't explain why my internet access is at 1980's speed. I trust the results from the servers you suggested. I only wish that speed reflected my daily experience.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to Just Bob

Premium Member

to Just Bob
Bob the internet is a collection of networks, servers and misc hardware most outside the control of your local or even adjacent providers. Your experience will vary from site to site, location to location depending on handfuls of reasons. There is nothing that can be done about that. Our obligation is to deliver you to the interwebs at the speeds we advertise. We do that...beyond that you are at the mercy of any number of networks, network conditions, server capacity at the remote site and the almighty network management imposed by networks external to BHN. In this case your test results prove we are delivering not only on-net but also off-net and thats what counts.
Just Bob
Premium Member
Spring Hill, FL

Just Bob

Premium Member

Oh come on. We both know the internet is a series of tubes.

I started my computer career in 1964 back when computers really were tubes.

But as long as I have your attention, I'm considering a personal DNS server either running on my desktop or as a dedicated machine. I've run Treewalk DNS in the past and was happy with it but that's no longer available.

I'm open to suggestions or being told I'm wasting my time and money.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to Just Bob

Premium Member

to Just Bob
LOL

Okay so I have to ask the honest question exactly what do you think you gain by running your own DNS server?
Just Bob
Premium Member
Spring Hill, FL

Just Bob

Premium Member

Along with slow speeds I see a lot of dropped requests and DNS failures. Once a local server had my routine sites in cache I wouldn't have that problem. 1ms DNS lookups rock.
Just Bob

Just Bob to BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

to BHNtechXpert
Name resolution for the name dns.msftncsi.com timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded.
428 such events since I restarted the system following tonight's security update.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to Just Bob

Premium Member

to Just Bob
External DNS servers such as google or openDNS work just fine and when we're talking ms time segments no human could possibly notice the difference. Neither of these orgs will drop requests and honestly we don't either except in extremely rare cases...now if you are just being geeky well...there are several out there. None of which I bother with. Look...I'm about the geekiest guy you will ever know...no seriously I am...my house is wired and connected in ways that disgust me at those rare instances of clarity and non-geekiness and I don't even bother with that nonsense.

Now I do run my own mail server but thats because I'm a private kinda guy and the public offerings all come with a catch...your privacy is nonexistent.
Just Bob
Premium Member
Spring Hill, FL

Just Bob

Premium Member

Did you see my last post?
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to Just Bob

Premium Member

to Just Bob
I did but doesn't change my last post
Just Bob
Premium Member
Spring Hill, FL

Just Bob

Premium Member

Really?

Check your own event log and tell me how many dropped DNS request you see in a 2 or 3 hour period.
Just Bob

Just Bob

Premium Member

Ah...I checked again. That wasn't in a 2 or 3 hour period. That's over a period of days. I'm going to have to clear that out more often.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to Just Bob

Premium Member

to Just Bob
I don't worry about logs unless whatever issue is being logged actuallty becomes impactful or relevant. There are those that will parse logs 24/7 and drive themselves crazy over them...I am not one of those people..learned 30 years ago not to.