how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

eurochoi

join:2012-12-21
Lucedale, MS

Single Tunnel PPTP Internet Access

I'm trying to setup a VPN. I'm connecting locally and remotely with no problems, but what I am having issues with is tunneling all traffic through the VPN and using the internet. I know that I can deselect using the default gateway in advanced options, but I'd like to be able to use the VPN for browsing as well.

Is there something I'm missing here?
I'm using Win7 as the server and the client as well as my Iphone via 3g to connect remotely. Neither the win7 client locally nor the iphone via 3g will use the internet with a single tunnel. Any assistance would be appreciated.

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:13

So if I have this right, the current setup is this :

Win7 client / iphone -> "the Internet" -> Win7 PPTP server -> internal LAN resources

Currently, the above setup works in that both the Win7 client and iphone can connect to Win7 PPTP server
and the resource(s) behind it without issue. What you want it to do is force any internet traffic from the
Win7 client and iphone THROUGH the Win7 PPTP server as well?

Can you post screenshots of your complete PPTP config on both ends as well?

Regards

eurochoi

Lucedale, MS

These are the local settings for the win 7 client

I'll post the server settings in a moment.

eurochoi

Lucedale, MS
reply to HELLFIRE

These are the local settings for the win 7 client

eurochoi

Lucedale, MS
reply to HELLFIRE

okay, one thing that I'm seeing when I pull up ipconfig on the win7 server in the terminal/command prompt is that I have a subnet mask of /32 and the default gateway is empty. Is populating the default gateway in the PPP adapter with dsl gateway address what I'm after here?

eurochoii

@sbcglobal.net
reply to HELLFIRE

okay, one thing that I'm seeing when I pull up ipconfig on the win7 server in the terminal/command prompt is that I have a subnet mask of /32 and the default gateway is empty. Is populating the default gateway in the PPP adapter with dsl gateway address what I'm after here?

HELLFIRE
Premium
reply to eurochoi

You haven't answered my question yet eurochoi See Profile, namely

said by HELLFIRE:

Currently, the above setup works in that both the Win7 client and iphone can connect to Win7 PPTP server
and the resource(s) behind it without issue. What you want it to do is force any internet traffic from the
Win7 client and iphone THROUGH the Win7 PPTP server as well?

I need to confirm that I understand your problem / question first before I can point you in a direction

Regards

eurochoi

Lucedale, MS

I'm trying to force internet traffic from the server win 7 machine to the remote client win 7 machine when at a public hotspot via vpn.

HELLFIRE
Premium
reply to eurochoi

I'll take that as a "yes" to my question. In which case, you basically want to do a non-split tunnel VPN
connection so that ALL traffic from Win7 client and iphone while at a hotspot is encrypted by the Win7
PPTP.

I'd follow this guide here and skip step 4. A google search for something like "windows pptp no split tunnel" should turn up some similar guides.

Regards