uniqs
share rss forum feed

NOCMan
MacChatter
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Colorado Springs, CO

[OS X] Fusion Drived My 2011 17" MBP

Up until a few days ago I had installed a 256gb ssd in the main drive bay and used a OWC drive mount in the cd bay for a 1tb hard drive. Once it was discovered that creating a LVM Volume using both disks would enable fusion drive I jumped at the chance.

NOTE: If you have a setup like mine, if you can at all manage it, make sure your user account is not on the HDD. I had moved it onto the HDD to keep the media on the slow disk. Time Machine will want to see 2 drives to do a proper restore. What I had to do create that account again and do a restore of the directories and not a time machine restore. Annoying.

Performance is excellent, after a few reboots they were instant again just like when I had the SSD as the boot drive and the apps I use the most pop up instantly. I am quite happy with the setup and now that TM has backed everything up, restores work like they should so when it comes time to add a larger HDD down the road the restore should work fine. i Hope lol.
--
Ski News - Ski Colorado Blog
Web Hosting - www.FrontRangeHosting.com

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11

I did it to my MacBook Pro 15" awhile ago:
»Fusion Drive

I reformatted to 2 physical volumes a few weeks ago. The speeds were slightly slower, and I couldn't take the sound of the HD spinning up all the time with no way to spin it down.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
kudos:2

1 edit
reply to NOCMan

Re: [OS X] Fusion Drived My 2011 17" MBP

Huh, I'm trying it on my Mini and so far it doesn't seem any slower than straight SSD. As it fills things will likely change.

NOCMan
MacChatter
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Colorado Springs, CO
reply to Thinkdiff

I dont ever hear my HDD spinning up, what do you got SCSI disks

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
kudos:2

1 edit
reply to NOCMan

The only thing I'm seeing is glacial boot times, but once booted, apps open instantly as if they've been moved to the SSD. My VM is also obviously running off SSD.

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
Bronx, NY

1 recommendation

reply to NOCMan

It's a 7200RPM drive. In a quiet room with no other moving parts, it's the only thing I can hear. Not to mention watching my battery life drain because of it.
--

vukodlak75
Nisam Ti Dude
Premium,MVM
join:2001-10-27
Willoughby, OH

said by Thinkdiff:

It's a 7200RPM drive. In a quiet room with no other moving parts, it's the only thing I can hear. Not to mention watching my battery life drain because of it.

Ditto.
Very annoying.
--
Money can't buy you happiness ... But it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.

sfogliatelle
We Is Whut We Am
Premium
join:2002-05-29
Baton Rouge, LA
reply to Thinkdiff

How bad a battery hit did the Fusion Drive install cost you, Td?

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
Bronx, NY

It wasn't the Fusion drive specifically. If I didn't manually manage when my HD spins down, it'd be just as bad with a regular two disk setup. In regular mode, I can unmount/eject the second drive when I'm not using it (which is most of the time), and it spins down.

The issue with Fusion drive is you have absolutely no control over spinning down the second drive.

Just a wild guess, but it seems like I can get around 6-7 hours without the HD spinning. That goes down to around 4-5 hours if the HD spins up all the time.
--