uniqs
share rss forum feed

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5

1 recommendation

Major Geeks redirecting to Download.com??

I want to download WordWeb for my new Win 8 computer. I have an older version on my XP computer. I love it.
»wordweb.info/free/

So, I clicked on the Major Geeks link. When I try to download it from Major Geeks, I am REDIRECTED to download.com! I have an iron clad policy for many, many years now that I do not ever download anything from that smarmy, virus ridden, third party toolbar wrapped, downloader/installer at download.com.

Why would Major Geeks be redirecting this download to that horrible place? I like Major Geeks because it is an honorable site unlike download.com.

(I first clicked on the author's download link but he is redirecting to download.com also).

Can anyone get this from Major Geeks?
»www.majorgeeks.com/WordWeb_d5237.html
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

aussiedog

join:2007-01-10
Colorado Springs, CO

1 edit

Apparently WordWeb downloads exclusively from Download.com; MajorGeeks can merely provide the link access.

note: I just downloaded and installed WordWeb and there are no weirdnesses to be had.

--
If I can only find my keys...

lilhurricane
Crunchin' For Cures
Premium,Mod
join:2003-01-11
Purple Zone
kudos:57
reply to Mele20

Filehippo has it hosted on their servers

chachazz
Premium
join:2003-12-14
kudos:9
Reviews:
·TELUS

1 recommendation

reply to Mele20

Click for full size
Always download from the source - best policy -
»www.wordwebsoftware.com/

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
reply to lilhurricane

I'll get it from Filehippo. Thanks.

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
reply to chachazz

said by chachazz:

Always download from the source - best policy -
»www.wordwebsoftware.com/

I agree. However, I don't know you got a direct download. The author's link on his own site redirects to download.com.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

chachazz
Premium
join:2003-12-14
kudos:9
Reviews:
·TELUS

1 edit

2 recommendations

Downloaded from his site.

Click Free Download button: »wordweb.info/
Click Download WordWeb button: »wordweb.info/free/

ps: is that crazy Proxo blocking links?

NotTheMama
What Would Earl Do?

join:2012-12-06
reply to Mele20

All of those links redirected me to download.com, too.
--
"...but ya doesn't hasta call me Johnson!"

aussiedog

Colorado Springs, CO

ditto.

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
reply to chachazz

No, it's not Proxo. I tried with it bypassed.

Maybe it is Ghostery? Ghostery blocks Google Analytics, Facebook and ShareThis there.

I allowed cookies there. If I allow the trackers Ghostery blocks, Google and Facebook are also in my Hosts file (ShareThis I have not heard of before so it is not in my Hosts file). Maybe it is Google Analytics. I can understand the author wanting to collect information about who visits and downloads...but I did allow cookies there.

[NotTheMama] and [aussiedog] do you guys use Ghostery on Firefox? I didn't think last night (late) to try with Opera where I can't get Ghostery to work.
--

NotTheMama
What Would Earl Do?

join:2012-12-06

I tried in 2 different instances--one Fx16 with NoScript (my usual Fx) and one with nothing else installed (a new Fx17 install, totally vanilla); worked the same way in both--redirected to download.com.
--
"...but ya doesn't hasta call me Johnson!"

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
reply to Mele20

Click for full size
I think it might be a "sharethis" cookie and a cookie from WordWeb not offered on Fx (even with Proxo bypassed). I still got redirected to download.com on Opera 12.11 but more cookies were offered on Opera. I really didn't want "sharethis" tracking cookies so I didn't accept them but I did accept an additional "permanent" cookie from WordWeb that I didn't see on Fx. I still got redirected but I wonder if I had accepted the "sharethis" cookies if I would have gotten the download from the author's site.
--

Old Computer
Premium
join:2002-04-12
France
reply to Mele20

Click for full size
I use Noscript, Adblock Plus, Ghostery and had no problem to get the file without redirection.
(SeaMonkey)
Maybe only for some IP's ?

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11
reply to Mele20

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Mele, I see what you are seeing in Opera 12.12.
Unless I am doing something wrong here... I get redirected to CNET.com when clicking that link in the first screenshot. The second screenshot is butchered by either AdMuncher or by my custom HOSTS file. Perhaps this is why I am being redirected?

Dustyn
Premium
Ontario, CAN

Click for full size
As a side note I do not have AdMuncher installed on Windows XP SP3 32-bit with Opera 12.12. I am using a smaller HOSTS file than compared to the one on Windows 7 64-bit, so some of MajorGeeks.com images come through. However, I am still taken to download.com.
--
Remember that cool hidden "Graffiti Wall" here on BBR? After the name change I became the "owner", so to speak as it became: Dustyn's Wall »[Serious] RIP

NICK ADSL UK
Premium,MVM
join:2004-02-22
kudos:16

2 edits
reply to Mele20

major geeks never as a rule links to 3rd party sites
major geeks is mirroring it now and will continue to do so in future

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to Mele20

said by Mele20:

I want to download WordWeb for my new Win 8 computer. I have an older version on my XP computer. I love it.
»wordweb.info/free/
(I first clicked on the author's download link but he is redirecting to download.com also).

If I visit the WordWeb page (in your first link) using Opera 11.52 and with JavaScript enabled, either accepting all cookies or accepting only first-party cookies, but with auto-redirect disabled, I receive cookies from wordweb.info, and www.crossword-compiler.com. When I then click on the Download WordWeb button, I receive the download of wordweb.exe from the wordweb site. I repeated this several times, and occasionally (but not always) I received an additional cookie from com.com as well.

On the other hand, if I enable auto-redirect and click on the Download WordWeb button on your linked WordWeb page, I get auto-redirected past the WordWeb download page to the C/Net download page (the WW download page blinks momentarily past my view as the redirect occurs). The site coding lists download.com and MajorGeeks.com as alternative download sites. In experimenting with this, sometimes the redirect would take me to the MajorGeeks site initially instead of the C/Net site, but the MG site itself would auto-redirect to the C/Net for downloading on those occasions as well. Also, a whole mass of other cookies get set when the auto-redirected MG-C/Net path is taken.

All of this makes me suspect there's both some brower-sniffing and server-side redirecting going on at least when auto-redirect is enabled. For some reason, this gets bypassed if I force manual redirection in my browser. I did notice on one of the MG pages as I looked at source code that there was a browser-sniffed timer that was set if it didn't find a JavaScript behavior of its liking. Possibly that is the kind of thing being done up at a server or via a cookie handshake that sets up the auto-redirection, but that fails to do that if I force manual redirection.

My guess is that this is all part of a key-click tracking and revenue-raising arrangement that invokes different forms of compensation depending on which path (and browser) situation gets invoked for whatever reason.

Note: all this was done with MVPS hosts file operating, which effectively blocks google analytics (which is referenced in the site code), as well as all the other MVPS typical site blocks.
--
“The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.” A. de Tocqueville

Exidor
Premium
join:2001-05-04
Brampton, ON
reply to Mele20

MajorGeeks is no longer redirecting to Download.com from my location.

Perhaps the geoip in the download link, at the WordWeb site, is an indication that only UK/Europe IPs will get a direct download from the author's UK-based site?

Don't know, just wondering.

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
reply to Mele20

Click for full size
Click for full size
I think MajorGeeks read this thread and fixed it.

What really seemed odd to me was that MajorGeeks has always shown two USA download servers to me and I could choose the closest one. However, with Word Web, the servers were not there to click on. Now they are back and the download is not being redirected. I tried just now with Proxo disabled and both servers immediately offered me the download. (I'm not sure why there is no ad....I made sure I disabled Proxo BEFORE going there as I understand Major Geeks needs revenue and I trust them to not let any virus ridden ads get on their site. But I didn't see an ad and the word "advertisement" is not clickable).

As for Opera, I don't know why I didn't think to try it on manual redirect. I had it set to manual redirect for awhile because of that security vulnerability, but it drove me nuts so much extra clicking that I finally put it back on automatic redirect, but in this situation manual would have been good.
--

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
reply to Mele20

The author's website still redirects to download.com when you click to get a direct download (Proxo bypassed and first party cookies accepted) on Fx. it redirects on Opera also. BUT if I put Opera on manual redirect, I get an instant download box from the author's website. Pretty much like what Blackbird See Profile describes except I only got offered one cookie from the author's website...no others.
--

aussiedog

Colorado Springs, CO

1 edit
reply to Mele20

said by Mele20:

[NotTheMama] and [aussiedog] do you guys use Ghostery on Firefox?

I use Ghostery, NoScript and AdBlock Plus. I don't disengage them unless I have an obvious problem. I didn't consider disengaging any/all of them to test the link...

Incidentally Mele20, WordWeb has turned out to be a very useful dictionary program for my purposes. Never would have found it if not for your post!

--
If I can only find my keys...

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
kudos:2
reply to Mele20

said by Mele20:

I'm not sure why there is no ad....

If author cares about that question (if someone can add an ad or a virus to his package), he may simply publish a hash on download page. Ask him about the hash (MD5, CRC32, etc) for the package and then you may download it from any place...
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

Dustyn
Premium
Ontario, CAN
reply to Mele20

Yup. It works for me too now. I see now it pops up asking me to save the file directly from MajorGeeks.com. They've also added Internode - Australia.