join:2004-10-26
Fort Pierce, FL
Reviews:
·AT&T Southeast
·Comcast
·AT&T U-Verse

1 edit

Motorola SBG6580 Gateway New Firmware this morning

For the last week I have seen line people working on lines in the area. So every morning I check for signal changes so far no changes but this morning I saw uncorrectables in the 5000 to 7000 range on all 8 channel yesterday was still at 0 on all channels so I rebooted the modem.
When it started it went into download flashing of the lights so I waited and then checked the software version changed to SBG6580-6.5.0.0-GA-00-226-NOSH

This did not enable IPV6 yet. So does anyone know what changed with this new version?

blindsay

@12.147.113.x

I just got the firmware as well, I have no idea what changed. I do seem to be having problems with port forwarding now though I have some ports forwarded and it doesn't seem to be listening as they are blocked still.

maxriders

join:2006-05-18
Crystal Lake, IL
reply to GSTEXEC1

I also got the firmware upgrade on 12/19. Wife reported that cable and Internet was down most of the day on the 19th. When I got home I saw very high uncorrectables and correctables like you did. Then the modem went thru that same download process and then rebooted itself and then I had the new firmware. I am in Illinois northwest of Chicago. I notice on the wireless tab that it appears to have some descriptions next to some settings that I don't recall seeing before but otherwise I also am not sure what changed.

I usually don't post when I don't have anything of value to add but in this case I am posting to keep the topic bumped. So I am also not sure what this upgrade provides.

It appears that we must be some of the first to get this as there are no posts about this. As a matter of fact I only came across this using hotbot as my search engine. Google and Bing did not show your post in the search results.

dwthoma1

@comcast.net

It seems like the "Parental Controls" tab disappeared. When I log onto 192.168.0.1, it only has: Status / Basic / Advanced / Firewall / Wireless / Logout. What happened to my "Parental Controls"?

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL

1 recommendation

Yet another reason to stay away from gateway modems. You may have lost a feature, and you have *NO* control over why or when it happens.

not

@comcast.net
reply to dwthoma1

said by dwthoma1 :

It seems like the "Parental Controls" tab disappeared. When I log onto 192.168.0.1, it only has: Status / Basic / Advanced / Firewall / Wireless / Logout. What happened to my "Parental Controls"?

Call and report it. I bet it's something they overlooked when they built the firmware because the majority of people have standalone modems and a router behind it that handles this. You need to report it to them.

Mother Hen

@comcast.net

I have also lost my parental controls - at first I thought the teenagers found a way around it - has anyone found a solution?

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL

Dump the Gateway and get separate modem and router. That way, your security is not in the hands of Comcast.

pht58

@comcast.net
reply to Mother Hen

Yep, I lost the parental control too . I need this badly. My kid is out of control. Motorola or Comcast should come up with a solution fast. If anyone knows how to bring it back please help.

NetFixer
Snarl For The Camera Please
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

said by pht58 :

Yep, I lost the parental control too . I need this badly. My kid is out of control. Motorola or Comcast should come up with a solution fast. If anyone knows how to bring it back please help.

Allow me to join the chorus that seems to not be loud enough. Replace the cable gateway box with a standard cable modem (or at least insist that Comcast put it into bridge mode), and get your own router with whatever firewall features you wish (and that only you control).
--
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.