how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Mike86

join:2004-09-28
Darien, IL

Double-Play U-Verse Internet & Phone?

I have AT&T regular old DSL plus phone service. I spoke to AT&T a few months ago & was offered U-Verse IP-DSL plus voice at a reduced promo price for 12 months. The rep made it sound like my voice/phone service would also be over the Internet (VoIP?), and that I would need a battery backup system in case of power failure. However he did not seem real sure about this.

He said my Internet speed would not be any faster than the 3Mbps that I currently have. From my understanding there is no fiber in my system & I cannot get U-Verse video.

Why would I need a battery backup & would voice really be over the Internet?

What am I giving up, if anything, by switching to their double-pack IP-DSL and phone service?

Darknessfall
Premium
join:2012-08-17
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Comcast
·AT&T U-Verse

The battery backup is for the modem which will supply your phone service along with internet service. The voice service will be VOIP(Voice over IP). One of the things you give up by changing from POTS to VOIP is that if your power goes out you rely on the battery backup.

brookeKrige

join:2012-11-05
San Jose, CA
kudos:3
reply to Mike86

There's a legend of folks supposedly with some POTS bare minimum plan (below $10 per month), no charge for unlimited incoming calls, but using google-voice,et-al (thru an internet connection to trigger the callback) to transform all outgoing calls into free-incoming.

But when I look up uverse-voice plans there's nothing near that cheap. So could it be true: your very least-cost dirt-basic voice plan is higher price on uverse than on POTS? Or is that only for lifeline states (and is lifeline only available on POTS...)?

Also rumor that once your DSL goes to uverse, though your phone can later go backwards to POTS (IIRC), you won't ever be able to "go back to traditional DSL" such as to exploit the non-ATT traditional DSL companies.

Mike86

Darien, IL

No way would my bill be $10. It would be something like $50 versus $75 for 12 months. After that it would still be a bit cheaper than my current plan.

So if I change I need a new $100 modem. And additional charges if a tech installs it. However I don't see any problem about doing a self-install.

That being said, my phone line is split outside the house & there is a dedicated DSL line coming to the computer. How is this handled if a IP-DSL modem is used? How does my phone service tie into the modem?

Darknessfall
Premium
join:2012-08-17
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Comcast
·AT&T U-Verse

1 edit

said by Mike86:

No way would my bill be $10. It would be something like $50 versus $75 for 12 months. After that it would still be a bit cheaper than my current plan.

So if I change I need a new $100 modem. And additional charges if a tech installs it. However I don't see any problem about doing a self-install.

That being said, my phone line is split outside the house & there is a dedicated DSL line coming to the computer. How is this handled if a IP-DSL modem is used? How does my phone service tie into the modem?

One line goes to your modem. Your modem will have 4 ethernet ports for your internet devices and two phone ports for phone(Can be plugged into an eligible wall jack for a whole home phone connection). Not sure if you need a special connection to make the wall jack you plug into for phone a whole home connection though.Your phone service is brought over the internet then it's turned into voice data at the modem which is then sent to a connected phone .

Mike86

Darien, IL

If I understand correctly, the modem has an output that feeds back into a wall jack in order to distribute the phone signal throughout the house.

But since the house phone wiring is still connected to the outside telephone line, doesn't that mean that the modem is also sending a signal back to the outside world? In guess I'm seeing some kind of a loop there that does not currently exist.

AMDUSER
Premium
join:2003-05-28
Earth,
kudos:1
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Time Warner Cable

Two phone outlet wallplate
said by Mike86:

If I understand correctly, the modem has an output that feeds back into a wall jack in order to distribute the phone signal throughout the house.

But since the house phone wiring is still connected to the outside telephone line, doesn't that mean that the modem is also sending a signal back to the outside world? .."

That is true... [most houses have two pairs connected at the nid..]. Basically, you are going to want to disconnect line two [yellow /black] , from the nid. [You may want to buy a two telephone jack plate similar to the attachment.] For the line providing service to the modem...attach the red / green pair to the top [or bottom [doesn't matter.] Attach the yellow / black pair to the Red/ green - on the second jack. Because of how your house may / or may not be wired... you may need to disconnect the red / green pairs from the rest of the phone jacks. [To isolate the dial tone coming from At&ts network into your house. Or it may cause problems with the VoIP phone service of theirs.]

Mike86

Darien, IL

When I had another line installed to the computer room AT&T put in a two telephone jack plate. One for the PC & one for phone. This added line was somehow connected to the wiring that came inside the house.

When I changed to DSL I was having a problem & AT&T split the line outside & now one of the telephone jack plate outlets is DSL only & the other is telephone only. I'm presuming each is fed by its own wire pair. I also removed the DSL filters from all the phone jacks since they were not needed anymore.

If I decided to go with the IP-DSL does it come into the house on my existing DSL line? Do I still need to disconnect anything else?

AMDUSER
Premium
join:2003-05-28
Earth,
kudos:1
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Time Warner Cable

It sounds like they installed a whole house dsl filter... . If they did install a dsl filter in the phone NID outside.. you may only have to unhook two wires [basically disconnect the telephone service- by unhooking the dsl filter. ] But leave the dsl service line still connected. At that point install IP-DSL modem.. the green dsl line to the dsl service, and the phone to the telephone jack. [This will backfeed the phone service to the rest of the telephone jacks.]

The only way to tell for sure is to see a picture of the customer side of the telephone nid..

»www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp···P5RPfQ30

.. This says At&t does allow self install of the Uvoice phone service.