derekm

There goes the neighbourhood - Cogeco to buy Peer 1

»www.montrealgazette.com/ ··· ory.html

As best put by others (NSFW): fuckity fuck

jack black 1
@rogers.com

jack black 1

Anon

what the hell is wrong with Cogeco? why are they making such a drastic change of their business from ip networks to furnature and house wears? C'mon, from selling cable tv to a Pier 1 import store?
resa1983
Premium Member
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON

resa1983

Premium Member

said by jack black 1 :

what the hell is wrong with Cogeco? why are they making such a drastic change of their business from ip networks to furnature and house wears? C'mon, from selling cable tv to a Pier 1 import store?

Peer 1, not Pier 1.

Peer 1 is a peering company, that provides transit between networks.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer to jack black 1

Premium Member

to jack black 1
Post of the day.

Mike

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to resa1983

MVM

to resa1983
said by resa1983:

Peer 1, not Pier 1.

I think you're the one missing the joke, not him
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs to dillyhammer

Premium Member

to dillyhammer
said by dillyhammer:

Post of the day.

Mike

Whadda ya expect? He's on Rogers.
cog_biz_user
i ruin threads apparently
join:2011-04-19

cog_biz_user to derekm

to derekm
Was there anything wrong with Cogeco's peerings to start with? My biggest peeve with them is the lack of upload speeds... and their packet filtering.

MarketForces
@videotron.ca

MarketForces to derekm

Anon

to derekm
Prices are going to go up!

creed3020
Premium Member
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON

creed3020 to dillyhammer

Premium Member

to dillyhammer
said by dillyhammer:

Post of the day.

Mike

Agreed. I laughed so hard as I read that post.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to MarketForces

MVM

to MarketForces
said by MarketForces :

Prices are going to go up!

It's not like Peer1 is the cheapest provider around to begin with...

Jay_P
join:2005-12-12
Montreal, QC

1 edit

Jay_P

said by Guspaz:

It's not like Peer1 is the cheapest provider around to begin with...

We run a hosting business and we rely on Peer1 for colocation and bandwidth, I wasn't too happy when I got the email this morning but Cogeco will have to play by the market rules. There is no monopoly here, if they're raising prices we will move it's that simple.

JunjiHiroma
Live Free Or Die
join:2008-03-18
Renfrew, ON

JunjiHiroma to derekm

to derekm
This doesn't stop bell (and other big telco's) from buying peering networks. /startsarcasm Whatcould they possibly do if they bought all the peering networks out? /endsarcasm

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to derekm

MVM

to derekm
Bell already directly competes with companies like Peer1, and it's not particularly hard to start up a new such company (it doesn't have the massive cost wall like the wireless or last-mile businesses do).
cog_biz_user
i ruin threads apparently
join:2011-04-19

cog_biz_user

said by Guspaz:

Bell already directly competes with companies like Peer1, and it's not particularly hard to start up a new such company (it doesn't have the massive cost wall like the wireless or last-mile businesses do).

As well as Shaw and Rogers.

milnoc
join:2001-03-05
Ottawa

milnoc

Cogeco can afford to raise Peer1's prices. Cologix (formerly Canix) tried to slap me with an 86% price increase via a bogus "cable maintenance" charge at the end of my contract this year. The colocation industry is taking advantage of the growing cloud industry and the growing need for colocation space by jacking up the prices across the board.

At this rate, It'll be cheaper for me to build my own datacenter.
Cyborg994
join:2005-04-18
Montreal, QC

Cyborg994 to derekm

to derekm
I was looking for colocation a while ago and decided to stick with dedicated servers for the time being, prices are much higher for bandwith, especially wth most dedicated providers providing 10 TB+ now with their servers. Also with all the acquisitions, prices are going up not down... Not good news.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to derekm

MVM

to derekm
With the kind of things and prices you can get in dedicated servers these days (especially with pricing like OVH's), very few people actually need colocation. Unless you're talking about a very very large deployment, it would be hard to be more cost efficient colocating a single server.

$59/mth gets you unmetered 100 megabit, $119/mth gets you 8TB (4x2TB) of storage... Considering you've got to pay for the hardware on top of all monthly expenses for colocation, you'd need to have pretty custom requirements to be worth it.

pstewart
Premium Member
join:2005-10-12
Peterborough, ON

pstewart to resa1983

Premium Member

to resa1983
said by resa1983:

said by jack black 1 :

Peer 1, not Pier 1.

No - Peer1 is a co-location company that provides connectivity. They do peer with other providers in certain markets but they are not a "peering company". They also "dabble" once a in a while in providing IP Transit services to other ISP's but they are not a big player in that space....
Cyborg994
join:2005-04-18
Montreal, QC

Cyborg994 to Guspaz

to Guspaz
I agree, but when you need more RAM, Hardware Raid and/or SSD drives, colocation can be more affordable the dedicated. At least it used to be...

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to derekm

MVM

to derekm
It used to be, but... 8GB of RAM for $39/mth, 16GB of RAM for $49/mth, 32GB of RAM for $89/mth, 64GB of RAM for $169/mth...

Those are the prices of the cheapest servers with that amount of RAM. I doubt many people need more than 64GB of RAM in a single node. There comes a point where it's better to scale horizontally than vertically anyhow.