how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

bnceo

join:2007-10-11
Bel Air, MD

Carrier Phones Suck - Unlock All The Way

We need to get out of his mentality of getting cheap phones. And then whining when you can't leave your contract. I have started to avoid all this and I will only buy unlocked phones and use them on GSM providers. The nonsense that Verizon has done to a Google device has convinced me that carriers have no business messing with a product. Just be a signal carrier and nothing more. Stop messing with phone technology. It hurts everybody.

So I challenge everyone to stop being attracted by the cheap 2-year contract price and escape these carriers. Go unlock and buy your phone outright.

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness
said by bnceo:

We need to get out of his mentality of getting cheap phones. And then whining when you can't leave your contract. I have started to avoid all this and I will only buy unlocked phones and use them on GSM providers. The nonsense that Verizon has done to a Google device has convinced me that carriers have no business messing with a product. Just be a signal carrier and nothing more. Stop messing with phone technology. It hurts everybody.

So I challenge everyone to stop being attracted by the cheap 2-year contract price and escape these carriers. Go unlock and buy your phone outright.

Awesome except in my area the only GSM provider is at&t. Also once everyone goes all in with LTE then GSM/CMDA won't exists

ArrayList
netbus developer
Premium
join:2005-03-19
Brighton, MA
reply to bnceo
uhh, all verizon phones are locked.

bnceo

Bel Air, MD
reply to 88615298
If you have AT&T in your area, you can use Straight Talk.

bnceo

Bel Air, MD
reply to ArrayList
Which is why I say go GSM. You have some options.

ArrayList
netbus developer
Premium
Brighton, MA
Reviews:
·RCN CABLE
·Comcast
ah, yes. I'm lucky that I live near a metro area and can get decent service on a gsm carrier(I have T-Mobile), but a large portion of the country does not live close to a metro area and cannot do that, therefore they are stuck with the likes of Verizon. It is really unfortunate.

bnceo

Bel Air, MD
Which is fine. The priority for those people are different. They like their location a lot more than having an overimposing carrier. Can't fault them for that. Glad I live in the Northeast/Mid-Atlantic to have some options.

GLIMMER

join:2004-01-17
Fisher, IL
reply to ArrayList
um no there not. I have a droid dna and have put both att and tmobile sims in and they work. this is part of verizons block c provisions

grepya

@comcastbusiness.net
reply to bnceo
I second the straight-talk suggestion. I'm using it on my iPhone 4S (I bought it factory unlocked.. but it since straight-talk uses AT&T network, I believe locked ATT iPhones work on it without any mods)
»9to5mac.com/2012/07/30/review-th···ht-talk/

bnceo

Bel Air, MD
reply to GLIMMER
He means locked to Verizon. You can't take a Verizon phone and go to Sprint. Using AT&T or T-Mobile is just using the World Phone part

PhoenixAZ
Get A Mac
Premium
join:2004-01-04
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:1
reply to ArrayList
Not really, all LTE phones are unlocked, and you can take them to T-Mobile or AT&T with no issues.

PhoenixAZ
Get A Mac
Premium
join:2004-01-04
Phoenix, AZ
reply to bnceo
said by bnceo:

He means locked to Verizon. You can't take a Verizon phone and go to Sprint. Using AT&T or T-Mobile is just using the World Phone part

Being able to use a Verizon phone on 3 out of the 4 carriers is a GREAT start. Who cares about Sprint?

ArrayList
netbus developer
Premium
Brighton, MA
reply to PhoenixAZ
you are saying that if you get a subsidized LTE phone from Verizon that it will work right away with T-Mobile or AT&T?

ilikeme
I live in a van down by the river.
Premium
join:2002-08-27
Sugar Land, TX
Reviews:
·Vonage
said by ArrayList:

you are saying that if you get a subsidized LTE phone from Verizon that it will work right away with T-Mobile or AT&T?

LTE is on different frequencies and no phones support both Verizon and At&t frequencies yet. The HSPA and GSM portions will work if the Verizon phone has them.