Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Mattphill

join:2012-12-21
Somerset, KY

[MoP] Guild Recruiting (How To?)

Greetings!

Looking for suggestions on Guild Recruiting. I know about the Guild Recruitment Forums. My friends and I have been playing since 2007 and we're looking to explore the ins and outs of running our own guild. The first step is of course recruiting. We are a level 1 guild and any advice here would be greatly appreciated. I'm looking for in game tactics on how to recruit and out of game tactics.
-Thanks in advance!

mettachain
Goblineer

join:2011-09-27
Azeroth
kudos:1
First, you should probably set up a guild website. Although some people never use the website, IMO that is the first step in becoming a legit guild. Somewhere that members of the guild can go to collaborate and discuss things out of game.

An addon I used a while ago to aid in recruitment is called NuttyRecruit. Used in game, you can set up premade advertisements to post in your set up channels at regular intervals. Also, you can advertise that people interested in your guild can whisper a keyword and you will automatically reply with up to 5 personal whispers with further information on your guild to the person who whispered you the keyword.

You are also able to filter out certain levels of players, say, only level 20+ players are able to whisper you for information on your guild.

Another keyword setup and if the person whispers you, for example, !invite, they would get an automatic guild invite from you without you actually having to do the "add member" button in the guild UI.
--
Reading your post made me want to punch a kitten in the jawbone.

Antonica
Premium
join:2002-09-02
reply to Mattphill
I see a lot of people spam in Trade chat about their guild. I assume they do it because it works so that is probably an option.

Just grouping with people and inviting strangers you see in the world adds up fast too.

Mattphill

Somerset, KY
reply to mettachain
said by mettachain:

First, you should probably set up a guild website. Although some people never use the website, IMO that is the first step in becoming a legit guild. Somewhere that members of the guild can go to collaborate and discuss things out of game.

An addon I used a while ago to aid in recruitment is called NuttyRecruit. Used in game, you can set up premade advertisements to post in your set up channels at regular intervals. Also, you can advertise that people interested in your guild can whisper a keyword and you will automatically reply with up to 5 personal whispers with further information on your guild to the person who whispered you the keyword.

You are also able to filter out certain levels of players, say, only level 20+ players are able to whisper you for information on your guild.

Another keyword setup and if the person whispers you, for example, !invite, they would get an automatic guild invite from you without you actually having to do the "add member" button in the guild UI.

Thanks for the solid advice!! This helped more than you know!

Mattphill

Somerset, KY
reply to Antonica
I worry about posting grecruitment in /2 because I think it annoys people. I wonder if it works though? Also, would you piss off more people by spamming /2 than you would recruiting? . . . hmmm

mettachain
Goblineer

Azeroth
not neccessarily. as long as you don't spam Trade every 30 seconds with your guild recruitment advert. try to space it at least 120 seconds between posts.
--

Mattphill

Somerset, KY
said by mettachain:

not neccessarily. as long as you don't spam Trade every 30 seconds with your guild recruitment advert. try to space it at least 120 seconds between posts.

Good point. Trade chat here we come!

Mattphill

Somerset, KY
To join the Guild Recruitment Channel it's just /join GuildRecruitment amirite? I've only been in it on new toons and they didn't have that channel when I first started playing

cigtyme
Coonass and Proud of it

join:2010-08-17
Houma, LA
reply to Mattphill
They have many philosophy's on Guild recruitment. What type of guild is it? PvE or PvP or Both. Casual or Hardcore. If you and the other officers know the type of guild you want, go for it. Set up Metta's Add-on, but don't limit yourself to only this. Use the WoW forums, as well as others. GuidOx, Icy-Veins,WoL, and many others have guild recruitment forums. Also don't use your real ID email, but your battletag(or go to blizzard site and set one up). Mine is cigtyme#1791. Have people on your real id list and share your guilds message to them. Networking in game, and on the Web, is the best place to look. Just be honest with all possible recruits.
--
Cigtyme - Alliance - Galakrond - Draneri Arcane Mage
GM and RL of Exalted with Chuck Norris (Before damn Commercial)
"What the hell man, wipe it, we fricken can't heal this damn thing to death"

Kilroy
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN
reply to mettachain
said by mettachain:

I'm one of those who never go to a guild web site. If I'm on line I'm in game. It might be nice to have a place where you can point people for things like Vent info, but other than that I don't spend the time.

Just a thought for how much effort to put into a guild web site. With the in game calendar, guild message of the day, and other built in features I don't see a lot of need for out of game content.
--
“Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something.” ¯ Robert A. Heinlein

mettachain
Goblineer

Azeroth
reply to Mattphill
i believe so. also, i forgot to mention that the guild UI has a reruitment pane available to officers of the guild where you can put a short description of the guild and list it on the guild recruitment UI in game. it'll show your guild level, icon and what ever you post in the description. be sure to check back at least once a week on that as well to see if anyone has put an "application" via the stock UI there.

best bet is put yourself out there. join pugs, make friends, advert in Trade, Guildrecruitment, General chats. make that website (wowstead and enjin offer free hosting), eventually purchase a Ventrilo or Mumble server, and have fun.
--

Mattphill

Somerset, KY
reply to cigtyme
said by cigtyme:

They have many philosophy's on Guild recruitment. What type of guild is it? PvE or PvP or Both. Casual or Hardcore. If you and the other officers know the type of guild you want, go for it. Set up Metta's Add-on, but don't limit yourself to only this. Use the WoW forums, as well as others. GuidOx, Icy-Veins,WoL, and many others have guild recruitment forums. Also don't use your real ID email, but your battletag(or go to blizzard site and set one up). Mine is cigtyme#1791. Have people on your real id list and share your guilds message to them. Networking in game, and on the Web, is the best place to look. Just be honest with all possible recruits.

To answer that; we are a casual guild, both PVE and PVP. Once again, solid advice. Our goal is to get at least 5 more level 90 players (difficult goal considering we are level 1 guild) and have as many low level players as we want. We have a good system in place but I want to exhaust all advice I can from the internet before we start recruiting after Christmas. Considering I'm at work these forums are the current limit of advance on internet lol. I've been coming here for reading material for weeks though so, I've got faith I'll find all my answers here. . . and some grammatical advice too (probably)

cigtyme
Coonass and Proud of it

Houma, LA
reply to mettachain
Also posting here is a nice thing also, You cannot recruit, but i have made a similar post to this when my guild was growing. I recieved great advice. I also recieved PMs, which lead to alts and some mains. The members of this board, regardless if they are respected, or considered a troll, Have had great input in some of my descisions on guild matters. And helping me with recruiting strats.

Mattphill

Somerset, KY
said by cigtyme:

Also posting here is a nice thing also, You cannot recruit, but i have made a similar post to this when my guild was growing. I recieved great advice. I also recieved PMs, which lead to alts and some mains. The members of this board, regardless if they are respected, or considered a troll, Have had great input in some of my descisions on guild matters. And helping me with recruiting strats.

Agree totally, this is a great site!

cigtyme
Coonass and Proud of it

Houma, LA
I found a OT in the WoW forums. I posted what we wanted. Put my Battletag. They have no bump rules, so what i did was put extra stuff i never needed to happen. Like i put we needed heals and DPS. In order to bump it i put:"Auditioning a Warlock tonight, so hold on DPS." Next day i would put Warlock didn't pan out. DPS back open. I would use this as a bump, without putting BUMP.

This may be dumb advice, but i thought i would share.
--
Cigtyme - Alliance - Galakrond - Draneri Arcane Mage
GM and RL of Exalted with Chuck Norris (Before damn Commercial)
"What the hell man, wipe it, we fricken can't heal this damn thing to death"

Carpie

join:2012-10-19
united state
kudos:5
reply to Mattphill
I'm in the same boat as you and have just recently started to recruit over the past two weeks or so. I didn't want to spam the trade channel so what I've been doing while online is just a /who 1-90 and then sorting by guild name to see who doesn't have a guild. For those folks I'd send a whisper letting them know about the guild and asking if there was any interested. Have had about 10 people join thus far and the guild has already gone up another three levels (from 5 to 8). Best of all, all of the people thus far have been great. One is even big into telecom and setup a vent server for us to be able to use without charge.

mettachain
Goblineer

Azeroth
Carpie. An easier method to scanning players who are unguilded is an in game addon called SuperGuildInvite from Curse.

A typical scan will take approx. 15 minutes for all players on your faction and server. A list will be generated showing you who is unguilded and you will have the option to Invite to Guild, whisper a preprogrammed greeting/advert, or both at the same time.

You can filter your results as well like level 21-90 (1-20 are usually trial accounts and can't join guilds).
--

stonhinge
Premium
join:2003-07-28
Topeka, KS
reply to Carpie
I will mention that there's quite a few people who really hate unsolicited whispers about guild invites. I find them to be the equivalent of the people who ask you to take a survey/sign up for whatever at the mall. Also telemarketers.

Granted, there are probably people who are looking for a guild, and don't have a good idea on how to go about it. just be warned that it'll annoy some people and possibly get you ignored. That said, make sure only one person is doing it at a time, and wait a decent length of time before doing it again. Keeping track of people who say "no" is probably a good idea as well.

you're going to have to sell yourself, and the guild, to any potential new members. Vent server is probably a plus. Pug raids - even for older content - can be a source of members. Just don't do it in a raid you didn't start up - at least, not without asking the person who formed it up first. you might not be the only person looking for new members. Ulduar meta achievement/legendary crafting runs are popular for the drakes. While BWL is technically soloable, with multiple people Razorgore is less of a hassle, and a lot of people like the look of T2 (and the nice 1H/2H swords in there).
--
When the ship lifts, all bills are paid. No regrets.

Mattphill

Somerset, KY
reply to Mattphill
A Quick Follow Up:

We started recruiting yesterday and things have gone well so far. We advertise in Trade but it's limited. We've used the addons suggested and I highly reccomnend them to anyone and we've started adding small events to the Calendar.

-Also, being a new guild we need two more officers. Advertising that we are looking for an officer has really spiked interested and got a few level 90 characters in with us. I just hope the ones we recruit for the potential officer position don't quit if they don't get it (they probably will lol)

Cptbeatstix

join:2011-12-21
Carrollton, TX
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Mattphill
/4 is the guild recruitment channel I believe. Honestly I would tread lightly on metioning raiding, but if you do, make sure you get people who don't mind being patient. I recruit quality over quanity for my raid team. I took us about 5 weeks to finally start raiding, but we can clear raids as apposed to wiping 8000 times on one fight.