Badonkadonk
Premium
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Dish Network

[DISH] Dumping Comcast and getting Dish installed tomorrow

Any gotchas to look our for during and after installation?

The only thing I'm presently worrying about is my MoCA home network.
--
How nice. This country is being run by a broken record repeating the same two words over and over. Cretin.

westdc

join:2009-01-25
Amissville, VA
kudos:1

Whatever is working Now (network) -Just make sure it works during and after your New Dish Install before the installer -Drives away.

That would be your only issue to watch.

Badonkadonk
Premium
Naperville, IL
Reviews:
·Dish Network

Thanks. I literally just talked to Dish and they said the same thing. I'm getting the strong impression that once the installer leaves and I've signed on the dotted line, I'm captured.
--
How nice. This country is being run by a broken record repeating the same two words over and over. Cretin.

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
kudos:2
reply to Badonkadonk

said by Badonkadonk:

The only thing I'm presently worrying about is my MoCA home network.

I don't know what the rule is on using existing cabling, but if the technician has any doubts or concerns about it, he/she will prefer to run their own, new cabling. You may not want that for aesthetics though. From the technicians standpoint though, say that a connector isn't crimped on just right and causes an issue in a month. You call Dish and when the new technician finds and reports the issue, that first tech gets penalized !

Badonkadonk
Premium
Naperville, IL
Reviews:
·Dish Network

Recable to each individual outlet? That's going to suck if it happens.

It'll take a long time to do and it'll probably mess with my network. I've avoided changing services for a long time because I worry about this the most. I have a clusterF of a network because of splitters, amps, etc. I didn't want Comcast or any other company messing around in there, but thought I'd take the chance now.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
--

westdc

Amissville, VA

The installer will reuse rather than reinstall new cable as it make the job faster for him and time is money.

I assume you have Comcast cable service & Internet service now? The Rg6 you have now if it comes into your home and is daisy chained with splitters to get to the other locations –Then the installer will have to make a home run for each (either from the splitter location –Cutting and rejoining the cables) back to the Dish cable feed)

The sat signal can not be combined with your Comcast internet (Run on the same RG6) (look at how you cable modem is connected. Conflicting Feq.

Just make sure Every thing works (DON’T ASSUME anything) Check it before you sign and before he goes.

Badonkadonk
Premium
Naperville, IL
Reviews:
·Dish Network

I have internet, phone and cable with Comcast. I'm just dropping the cable TV service.

Presently there's a splitter in the demarc. One leg feeds the upstairs (attic) and another leg feeds the downstairs (basement). I have a MoCA POE filter on the trunk as well.

The attic must have some kind of 4-way splitter because it feeds four of the bedrooms upstairs. The basement feeds almost everything else, including a bedroom and bathroom upstairs, the finished portion of the basement and then the main level.

The way it works now is that the cable connections in three upstairs bedrooms are for MoCA/internet only. No TVs. The fourth and fifth bedrooms and the bathroom are TV only. No internet.

Downstairs on the main level, the den, family room and sun room are all for TV. In addition the family room and den are for TV and internet. The cable and voice modems are in the den as is the main MoCA router.

So the cable lines connecting the upstairs and downstairs need to stay intact and any additional splitters need to be carefully placed in case they get in the path of the MoCA signal and break it.

It's really not that complicated, but I have no faith in most installers because of issues in the past.
--

westdc

Amissville, VA

Let us know how it goes -Wishing you good luck and a Merry Christmas & Happy New Year

Badonkadonk
Premium
Naperville, IL

Thanks. I will. Happy holidays!

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH

From what you describe, the installer isn't likely to touch your existing wiring. It's too complex (or confusing). I'm certain he/she will avoid the splitters at all cost too.

As westdc said, "homeruns" are the operative word. When a home is pre-wired, it will have "homeruns" from a central location to each individual outlet. That doesn't sound like the case with your home.

By the way, what equipment (receivers) are you getting ?

Badonkadonk
Premium
Naperville, IL

2 hoppers and 6 joeys.

Badonkadonk
Premium
Naperville, IL
Reviews:
·Dish Network
reply to Badonkadonk

Installation went well. From entering our front door to leaving, he was here from 11:15 am to 7:45 pm. He left my MoCA network completely untouched by running new cabling and leaving the old untouched. For the other ones he used the existing coax where he could and ran new coax where there wasn't any. The main time sink was just running the new cabling. He had to do three wall fishes. Very good quality job overall. Nice guy to boot.

All the equipment seems to be working fine. It seems that a fast internet connection is necessary to maximize the enjoyment of the On Demand feature. I do have to say that Comcast's On Demand is far, far superior. My kids are a bit bummed out by that, but I figure if it means they watch less TV, so be it. That being said, they'll be able to record so many more shows that after a while they'll probably build up a pretty big library of stuff.

I'm happier overall because I'm able to get more HD to more TVs in the house for a little less cost. My wife is a don't care, since she only watches a couple of different channels anyway. The kids are a little less happy. So, in general, it's a win.
--

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH

Yes, the On Demand offerings with Dish are poor compared to what's offered by most cable systems. The only people who tend to think Dish's are good are those who've NEVER seen what cable offers in comparison.

Now, I don't know how good or bad Comcast was with performance of their On Demand, but for example, last night we tried to watch Dark Knight Rises through On Demand (i.e. streaming). We watched about 15 minutes and gave up. It never buffered - worse, it skipped ! Worse is, when you hit Pause, it indicates where we are vs where the "buffer" is and it was 2x into the movie compared to where we were watching, so it should NOT have buffered at all.

Badonkadonk
Premium
Naperville, IL
Reviews:
·Dish Network

Comcast OD was pretty flawless. But, honestly, I did the Dish OD and it worked OK. It's a little a little inconvenient in that you can't really fast forward right away if you want. But with a 50/15 connection it's decent. I can't imagine how painful it would be with a 3 Mbps ATT DSL connection, which is what Dish tried to sell me during the Dish purchase.
--

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
·ooma
reply to Badonkadonk

Glad your install went well. I am in a similar situation. I've got DirecTV and am using their DECA adapters to share the coax to get the network all around the house. They had to do 7 new drops of RG6 because the house was prewired with RG59 and they couldn't use any of it.

I just let them do their thing and set up my network stuff afterwards and it all works like a charm.
--
So put me on a highway, and show me a sign.
And take it to the limit one more time...

Badonkadonk
Premium
Naperville, IL
Reviews:
·Dish Network

1 recommendation

It's nice when an install goes well, isn't it?

About 10 years ago we had WOW do an install and it was a mess. Terrible experience. Not only was the installer incompetent, but rude as well. We complained very loudly and the trainee with him must have also said something. The main installer ended up getting fired, the trainee got the truck, and a couple of days later he came out and fixed everything up. He'd been very apologetic during the botched install and you could tell he was mortified by the main tech.
--

bmetelsky
Premium
join:2005-10-16
Elyria, OH
reply to Badonkadonk

Goober -
Sounds like a fair amount of work for the DISH install. Was there a charge involved? Most installs don't take that long and don't involve fishing cable through walls.

Badonkadonk
Premium
Naperville, IL
Reviews:
·Dish Network

He did three fishes, but charged for only a single one. Nothing went wrong or was out of the ordinary, really. I have a complex MoCA setup at home and the installer was very careful about staying away from those cable lines. I'm pleased with all the work and the quality of the work he did.
--
"You lie!" Talk about an understatement, Joe.