AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD

Premium Member

secure element

Can different apps access the secure element, or is it exclusive to one app at a time?

rwatkins
@rr.com

rwatkins

Anon

Re: secure element

The apps use different Secure Elements. Google Wallet uses one embedded in the device itself. Isis uses one in the SIM card.

Access to the Secure Element is controlled by the the owner of the crypto keys to it. Google owns the keys to the SE on their Nexus devices, the carriers own the keys to the SE on the SIM.

AVD
Premium Member
Onion, NJ

AVD

Premium Member

how about the SE on galaxy devices?
tcope
Premium Member
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT

tcope

Premium Member

said by AVD:

how about the SE on galaxy devices?

Same... that is why Verizon is calling foul. Google is the only one that has access to the SE element on any Android phone.

So the flip side of this is that Google is _blocking_ the use of the phone's SE from any phone carrier. This prevents those phone carriers from using their own NFC payment system. So who is the "mean" one... Google or AT&T/Verizon/TM?

Personally I think you could point the finger at either of them and be correct. It's just one of those things.

Once ISIS goes nationwide, it should be a moot point.

AVD
Premium Member
Onion, NJ

AVD

Premium Member

does the sprint SGS3 have a carrier secure element.
tcope
Premium Member
Sandy, UT

tcope

Premium Member

said by AVD:

AT&T, Verizon and TM _are_ blocking GW but Google is also blocking carriers from using the SE in the phone for their own use. In other words, Google is telling the carriers, you have to use our Wallet and you cannot use your own. As a result, carriers had to create a work around.

AVD
Premium Member
Onion, NJ

AVD

Premium Member

As a user, I should be able to make an informed choice over what software I can run on my unit. Unless the carrier has a legitimate operational concern.
tcope
Premium Member
Sandy, UT

tcope

Premium Member

said by AVD:

As a user, I should be able to make an informed choice over what software I can run on my unit. Unless the carrier has a legitimate operational concern.

You can make an informed choice to use what is available or not to use what is available.

"Operational concern"... this is what Verizon is using to defend themselves... without saying too much. They are really stalling for time as once ISIS goes national, they can always state customers are not damaged as they can simply use ISIS instead of GW.

You state you should have the choice if software to use. So shouldn't Google unblock the Secure Element of the phone so that carriers can give their customers the option of what NFC payment app they want to use? That is my point. Google is not blameless in this matter. They, as much as Verizon, AT&T and TM are blocking apps from being used. You don't hear Google complaining about GW being blocked. Why not? Perhaps because they know full well that they are really doing the same thing.

Again, I'm not saynig Verizon, AT&T and TM are not to blame as well. But really, all parties are to blame. It's just what it is. But you can't just point the finger in one direction.

Once ISIS goes national no one will need to worry about the issue.

AVD
Premium Member
Onion, NJ

AVD

Premium Member

said by tcope:

except Google and Verizon.
tcope
Premium Member
Sandy, UT

tcope

Premium Member

said by AVD:

said by tcope:

except Google and Verizon.

Neither are complaining now and there still would not be a reason in the future. It was Verizon customers who were complaining. Those customers will have less of a case if they have access to ISIS as it's providing the same service.

AVD
Premium Member
Onion, NJ

AVD to tcope

Premium Member

to tcope
said by tcope:

said by AVD:

AT&T, Verizon and TM _are_ blocking GW but Google is also blocking carriers from using the SE in the phone for their own use.

Sprint GS3s do not use sim cards. Was a secure element included in the substitute electronics?
tcope
Premium Member
Sandy, UT

tcope

Premium Member

said by AVD:

Sprint GS3s do not use sim cards. Was a secure element included in the substitute electronics?

The Secure Element of the phone is built into the phone directly. Google has locked it down so only Google has access to it. This is why AT&T, Verizon and TM needed to come up with a new way to run a wallet system (a Secure SIM... personal data is stored on the Secure SIM rather then the Secure Element in the phone).