spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ifa

join:2009-07-17
New York, NY

[VoIP] Why is TWCNY&NJ charging me a modem fee?

Why are we being charged for the modem installed by TW? I have cable, internet and phone through TWCNY&NJ. The modem installed by TW serves provides both internet access and phone service. I was advised a few weeks ago that I would be charged a fee for my modem, but I could save myself that fee by purchasing a modem of my own. However, after visiting J&R, Radio shack and best buy in NYC as well as checking on Amazon, I found that there is no commercially available modem that would serve to provide internet access as well as phone service. In other words, the unit installed by TW is not available for purchase to the general public. I then called TW and was told to buy a modem for my internet access only and keep their modem for phone service. If I do that, TW tells me that they will waive the fee. What is the logic in that? If I am holding on to their equipment, why would they waive the fee? The real question though is why are they charging me the fee in the first place? My thoughts on this: This is a sleazy, underhanded way of raising the fee on internet access without acknowledging that they have done so.

Fleeced

join:2012-10-06
kudos:2

Sleazy or not, it seems like they only do the modem fee for their internet and not their phone. It's annoying, but they are one of the last companies to actually charge that fee, and it's one of the lower fees of what I've seen (Comcast charges 7 I think, Centurylink where I live charges 5.95 or something for their DSL modems).

Neiljoshua

join:2012-08-20
Astoria, NY

I have RCN service in Astoria. RCN doesn't charge any modem fee. RCN has the real Tivo too. TWC has became a greedy corporation.... I wish Fios, and Google Fiber were available here in NYC. Then you will see all those crazy fees disappear.

NightOwl2

join:2012-03-19
reply to ifa

TWC began charging an internet modem rental fee got NYC/NJ in March, 2012. A quick search of the TWC internet and voice/cable forums will bring up dozens of posts. Initially the hsi fee was $2.50 for new customers and grandfathered for existing customers. This fee was charged regardless if a combo voice and hsi modem was utilized. Fee was raised around October (per Stop the Cap! and various news outlets) to $3.95 and was expanded to include existing customers. I don't think "waiving the fee" is the correct term. There is a fee for hsi modem. There is no fee for phone modem.

There are lawsuits pending »www.timesunion.com/business/arti···pa2Zover the new fee: is an example.

pizz
bye bye twc. hello Comcast.
Premium
join:2000-10-27
Astoria, NY
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Neiljoshua

said by Neiljoshua:

I have RCN service in Astoria. RCN doesn't charge any modem fee. RCN has the real Tivo too. TWC has became a greedy corporation.... I wish Fios, and Google Fiber were available here in NYC. Then you will see all those crazy fees disappear.

Just curious here. I'm in Astoria as well in zip code 11103 on 28th ave and 36th. you near there with rcn ?
--
It's ok to say, 'I don't know'. It's even better when someone takes the time to explain what you, 'don't know'.

Neiljoshua

join:2012-08-20
Astoria, NY

My zip code is 11102. I am by 26th ave and 21st

juilinsandar
Texas Gooner
Premium
join:2000-07-17
San Benito, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Neiljoshua

said by Neiljoshua:

I think that once other companies see that it's an easy way for them to get money with little to no fuss then all of them will fall in line. Not many people can afford to buy their own modem or have an interest in even going through that hassle.
--
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. - Sir Winston Churchill

Fleeced

join:2012-10-06
kudos:2
reply to ifa

Other companies will probably wait for the judgement from the pending lawsuits. If TWC is able to defend against the suits, more companies will probably jump on the bandwagon.

roc5955
Premium
join:2005-11-26
Rosendale, NY
reply to ifa

They are charging a modem fee because:
1) They can
2) They want more profits
3) Management needs to pay off their luxuries
4) They don't make enough money
5) They care more about stock holders than customers.

Need I go on?
--
"Understanding is a three-edged sword."

jeblis

join:2012-10-08
Austin, TX
reply to Fleeced

Most companies already do, TWC was one of the last.