Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

telcodad

join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:6

[Price] Basic Tier price hike for Comcast of Central NJ

FYI - Comcast of Central New Jersey is asking the NJ BPU for permission to raise its base rate by the maximum amount allowed by law in all service areas except Princeton. Under Comcast’s proposal, the cost would increase to $21.74/mo., from the current $15.03/mo.:

Comcast wants 40% rate hike for basic service in central Jersey
By Lillian Shupe, The Hunterdon County Democrat - December 21, 2012
»www.nj.com/hunterdon-county-demo···s_f.html

halfband
Premium
join:2002-06-01
Huntsville, AL

A 40% rate hike on a regulated service would seem to be obscene in the current economic environment.
--
Registered Bandwidth Offender #40812

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

Not really when you consider how much the broadcasters upped the rebroadcast fees. In some cases more than twice as much. Not to mention the fact that a lot of jersey has both the new york locals and philly locals.

jagged

join:2003-07-01
Boynton Beach, FL

only the big 4 nets have large(er) retransmission fees. And they are barely $1 per subscriber per month per TV station. The rinky dink broadcast stations get nothing or probably nothing over 25 cents

The Q

join:2008-06-26
Collegeville, PA

said by jagged:

only the big 4 nets have large(er) retransmission fees. And they are barely $1 per subscriber per month per TV station. The rinky dink broadcast stations get nothing or probably nothing over 25 cents

But they used to be free, right?

So in Northern NJ it's now maybe costing video providers over $5.00 for the local broadcasters (using your numbers, no idea what the real numbers are).

Still can get free over the air signals with an antenna (once you buy the antenna of course) and a DTV OTA adapter. I got one of the government subsdized boxes "back in the day" and have it as a back up on an A-B switch to get most all of the Philly area stations.

jagged

join:2003-07-01
Boynton Beach, FL

funny thing is many markets have been at $19-$21 per month for basic cable for years, probably 3-4. At my old place here in South Florida basic cable got hiked to $21 4 years ago this month.
Before NBC enacted the tiered affiliation contracts for the stations and tied it to retrans fee negotiations, and before FOX started to demand the $0.25-$0.50 from their affilaites.

Im sure there's some justification for it, I'm just not sure it's worth it anymore

bohratom
Jersey Shore is back again.

join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ
reply to telcodad

Will be interesting to see what FIOS does with their $12.99 local/basic package. I'm in central Jersey and if Comcast raises their rates to ~$22 a month I could see alot of base-rate users moving to FIOS.