Mike
Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
·Verizon FiOS

Mike

Mod

iCloud won't let me add email

I am attempting to add my iCloud email to a machine I just put 10.8 on.

However it is whining about I cannot add an email account because my alias already exists... uh... is there a way to log in then? I check off mail and it goes to the make a new account window.

Ideas? Thanks.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

Click for full size
During post-install
It's a long shot but try logging into iCloud.com On machines I haven't set up iCloud on I get a drop down in Safari asking if I want to add the account to the OS (also happens with gMail).

But if you installed and used your iCloud UN/PW during setup, it should already be there. Part of the post-install wizard is setting up iCloud services.

Mike
Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA

Mike

Mod

I didn't. I wanted to add it afterwards.

How do I get back to that screen then?

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

1 edit

skeechan

Premium Member

Click for full size
Click for full size
Ah, found screenie of log in if you have never set up iCloud

Changes up some stuff, then you can choose services
There is no going back to that screen other than rerunning the installer AFAIK. The iCloud setup is done in System Preferences. In the iCloud control panel on the left you can log in and out and on the right you choose which iCloud services you want to use.

If you have NEVER setup iCloud there is a 'similar' screen that just prompts for your iCloud UN/PW the first time you open the panel preference pane (I think). In any event, once logged in you can choose the services.

If you find you are already logged in I would log out and then back in, then choose the service you want and see if that 'resets' it in Mail.
kitsune
join:2001-11-26
Sacramento, CA

kitsune to Mike

to Mike
The problem isn't in the way he is trying to setup iCloud. Mike, when you put a check in the box for mail does it ask you to create an address? Then you type in your address and it says that it already exists? If this is what happens, then you have two Apple IDs. One is a full iCloud account with an email address and the other is one I'm guessing you have used for iTunes purchases in the past with an email address from a 3rd party provider such as Gmail. In which case you have two options. 1) Continue using the apple id for iTunes and choose a different email when prompted to create one. 2) Sign out of iCloud completely and then sign in with your existing @mac/me/icloud.com address and password and just use the iTunes apple id in iTunes. There is one other option which would be to use the @mac/me/icloud address for everything but then you will have two different accounts for iTunes.