camper
just visiting this planet
Premium Member
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT

camper

Premium Member

[DTA] Comcast has begun deploying HD DTAs

"...Comcast Corp. confirmed that it's begun to deploy a new class of HD Digital Terminal Adapter (DTA) with integrated security that the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) approved for use in the fall of 2010. A version made by Motorola Mobility LLC recently passed through the FCC. Comcast won't reveal where the deployment is starting, but "we're at the beginning of a phased deployment that will ultimately go the entire footprint," a spokeswoman says. ..."

»www.lightreading.com/doc ··· d=228110
(scroll down a couple of paragraphs)

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

Yeah, I had posted that news in another DTA thread back on Wednesday: »Re: [DTA] Are DTA boxes with HD coming out any time soon?

I'm looking forward to getting one of those for use with the small HDTV in my bedroom. Wonder what the monthly charges will be for those?
Paul F
join:2009-05-15
Portland, OR

Paul F

said by telcodad:

I'm looking forward to getting one of those for use with the small HDTV in my bedroom. Wonder what the monthly charges will be for those?

I am interested, too. I think the reason so many people are wanting this is that they think "DTA box" means "cheap box" and that Comcast will pass on the cheap box price savings to the bill. I have my doubts.
chewch99
join:2008-04-20
united state

chewch99 to camper

to camper
Looked it up at work today. Launched already in Portland, pickups at payment center only.

Seems prices are staying the same as SD DTA's, although you will need the HD channel subscription for 9.95. That would give 1 HD Box and then you could add the HD DTA's for the same 1.99.

For basic only customers they will not need the HD Channel subscription (But they will if they subscribe to any premium channels).

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by chewch99:

Seems prices are staying the same as SD DTA's, although you will need the HD channel subscription for 9.95.
:
For basic only customers they will not need the HD Channel subscription (But they will if they subscribe to any premium channels).

I guess that makes sense, as when Comcast starts encrypting the Limited Basic channels, any basic-only customers without STBs, using only the Clear QAM tuners in their HDTVs, would lose all HD channels. With these HD-DTAs, they can get the basic HD channels once again.

camper
just visiting this planet
Premium Member
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT

1 edit

camper

Premium Member

said by telcodad:

... With these HD-DTAs, they can get the basic HD channels once again.

Sadly, that means that the FCC is implicitly involved in Comcast's charging me for channels that I used to get, without charge as a part of my subscription, over ClearQAM. At best, it looks like a thinly-veiled price increase to me.

What FCC commissioner is Comcast going to hire for a cushy job in return for this favor?

I have to wonder what that means for things like NHK's excellent Newsline channel that I receive over ClearQAM but is not on the encrypted channel STB offerings.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by camper:

Sadly, that means that the FCC is implicitly involved in Comcast's charging me for channels that I used to get, without charge as a part of my subscription, over ClearQAM. At best, it looks like a thinly-veiled price increase to me.

See:
Cable subscribers are about to get a sneaky fee
By Herb Weisbaum, NBC News - December 9, 2012
»www.nbcnews.com/business ··· C7476067

mikedz4
join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV

mikedz4 to camper

to camper
it's going to force some customers to go to antenna. In some instances you actually get MORE channels with an antenna than with cable.

Spiderman865
join:2005-12-27
Joliet, IL

Spiderman865 to camper

to camper
Any idea what markets are offering HD DTA's?

motorola870
join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

motorola870

Hmm Time Warner Cable solved the problem of HD DTA and SD DTA they started out with one system that had SD DTAs and then they stopped and when they started the new deployments after the trial all new DTA's are the Cisco 170HD and locals are passed through in HD and some expanded basic HD channels might be passed through if they are not SDV.
heymang
join:2008-07-03

heymang to telcodad

to telcodad
said by telcodad:

I guess that makes sense, as when Comcast starts encrypting the Limited Basic channels, any basic-only customers without STBs, using only the Clear QAM tuners in their HDTVs, would lose all HD channels. With these HD-DTAs, they can get the basic HD channels once again.

Someone mentioned these HD DTAs will likely block ALL HD channels including the basic channels unless you pay the HD tech fee.

For a limited basic customer with an hdtv, it seems strange to pay Comcast for TV service and not receive the locals networks in HD when you get get those channels in HD OTA for free. A limited basic customer would need to pay the HD fee to get the basic channels in HD doesn't sound right.
Joe12345678
join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL

Joe12345678

limited basic uses can get FULL HD boxes and HD for a much lower HD fee.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to heymang

MVM

to heymang
said by heymang:

said by telcodad:

Someone mentioned these HD DTAs will likely block ALL HD channels including the basic channels unless you pay the HD tech fee.

Yes, that was me in this thread: »Re: [DTA] Are DTA boxes with HD coming out any time soon?
said by heymang:

For a limited basic customer with an hdtv, it seems strange to pay Comcast for TV service and not receive the locals networks in HD when you get get those channels in HD OTA for free. A limited basic customer would need to pay the HD fee to get the basic channels in HD doesn't sound right.

In a few posts above, chewch99 See Profile had said that a Limited Basic customer wouldn't have to pay the HD fee just to get the basic channels in HD with an HD-DTA: »Re: [DTA] Comcast has begun deploying HD DTAs