Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Sweet Witch
Be the flame, not the moth.
Premium,MVM
join:2003-07-15
Gallifrey

Intel to begin soldering cores to mb's??

I just read this clip - "Computers will push high-end features.

As tablets continue to gain momentum in the consumer electronics realm, computers are returning to their original function as work-related machines -- albeit more powerful and expensive ones. According to Stephen Baker, the vice president of industry analysis at the NPD Group, Apple's new notebooks with retina displays are among the highest-priced models out there, and Microsoft's latest operating system, Windows 8, is driving the adoption of premium touchscreen PCs. (Microsoft is the publisher of MSN Money.)

Even geeks and gamers could see higher prices, as Intel plans to release processors that are soldered onto motherboards in 2013, rendering them un-upgradeable. This would make DIY upgrades to a desktop machine impossible, forcing the computer-savvy to opt for custom configurations from the manufacturer, which is, as a general rule, more expensive then getting a deal on the boxed CPU and upgrading it on your own."

from this link - »money.msn.com/how-to-budget/arti···edab323a

Is this true???
--
"While you can teach an old dog new tricks, you simply can't teach him to be a cat."

"Are you my Mummy?"

VegasMan
Are We There Yet?
Premium
join:2002-11-17
Schaumburg, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T Midwest

Intel has said that they have no immediate plans of doing this.

A lot of their revenue is from upgraders, and while some companies have been known to chop their own noses off by doing stupid stuff, I don't think Intel is going to do that this time around.

Now as the price of chipsets and the like go down I see this as a very high possibility in the future.
--
In need of a Vegas vacation.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
reply to Sweet Witch

Being discussed...

»Intel to Kill Off Replaceable CPUs
»Is Haswell the Last Interchangeable Intel Client Processor?

As Vegas said, Intel said they are NOT going to do this in the foreseeable future:

»www.techpowerup.com/176721/Intel···ot-.html
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Sweet Witch
Be the flame, not the moth.
Premium,MVM
join:2003-07-15
Gallifrey

Whew!