whizkid3
Premium,MVM
join:2002-02-21
Queens, NY
kudos:9
reply to nunya

Re: Future Proofing home networks

said by nunya:

For residential use, I think wired networks don't have much of a future at all. Maybe for hardcore enthusiasts. For most people wireless will be plenty.

Respectfully, I would have to disagree. I am in the city, but in a 'burb' type setting of single family homes with some apartment buildings nearby. I can see no less than 15 wireless networks at any time; with about 1/3 interfering. I have DirecTV receivers on internet. I am not going to attach a wireless AP to each one of those, especially considering the bandwidth they require.

Going by theory alone, there is only so many bits (you can call it bandwidth if you like) that can be carried on a radio signal with a given power level. This is based on laws of physics and can not be improved. Given these constraints, improved coding is one way to solve this, but will only get one so far. The more people go to wireless, the less 'bandwidth' available for others. If one wants increased data rates ('speeds'), its going to have to be 'wired'.

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
kudos:1

said by whizkid3:

said by nunya:

I think wired networks don't have much of a future at all.

Respectfully, I would have to disagree.

I think it's a matter of blending the two.
Keeping wired networks up to date when you have an outlet in every room is kind of intense. Also, a lot of devices are now wireless only, or pretty annoying to hook up:

- Laptops (Sofa, kitchen table, toilet, you name it, can't hook it up every time).

- Cellphones, Tablet PCs, they are only wireless.

What's left are desktop computers, Set-Top-Box (and variances of it) and network storage. Those are typically in fixed locations.

What I'm doing is running cable to key locations but I'm not going to bother getting a RJ45 port in every bedroom, just the office room.

nunya
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
·surpasshosting

1 recommendation

reply to whizkid3

I wholeheartedly agree that the 2.4 GHz band is now just "junk". But as people move to 5 GHz and buy newer equipment with better "anti-crowding" algorithms, things will get better.

Remember, as wired data rates increase, wireless rates do as well, with an increasingly shorter lag period.
--
If someone refers to herself / himself as a "guru", they probably aren't.