uniqs

doa
join:2001-09-19
Baldwin, NY

doa

FTP Setup using the Actiontec router

Click for full size
Hey everyone

I have been using my own router for a long time, But just upgraded my speed and had to take it out of line and run with the actiontec router.

Old router was a Zywall 35 and to run an FTP server all I did was forward port 21 to my Dlink DNS323.

I'm finding its not that simple with the actiontec router. I had to change settings on the DNS323 for passive mode and forward a bunch more ports to get it working. I dont like that Idea at all.

I'm hoping someone has found there way around this problem.

Right now I have forward port 21 and a couple of passive mode ports and told the Dlink DNS323 to respond with my public IP address. That has worked, but I do have a friend thats still having problems getting in to my FTP so something is still not right.

Anyone have any ideas to try?

Thanks
Mike

Mahalo
join:2000-12-20
united state

Mahalo

Are you saying that you had to turn on passive mode? If so, turn off passive and forward 20 & 21.

wmcbrine
join:2002-12-30
Laurel, MD

wmcbrine to doa

to doa
FTP is a bitch. If at all possible, I suggest using SFTP (SSH). Preferably on a nonstandard port.

doa
Baldwin, NY

doa

I did not have to turn on passive mode, I had to add the ports to the actiontec forwards for ftp to work. My old router I just forwarded port 21 only. So something is different with the actiontec.

Anyone have any luck running an FTP with an FTP in a BOX like the Dlink DNS323

Dream Killer
Graveyard Shift
Premium Member
join:2002-08-09
Forest Hills, NY

Dream Killer to doa

Premium Member

to doa
hmm, that's how my port forward is setup with filezilla and it works perfectly. what problems are you having?

doa
Baldwin, NY

doa

Ok maybe this will help someone else at some point.

I did get it working. What I had to do is below.

1- I set my FTP outside of the DHCP range of IP address.

I was finding that if my FTP went to sleep the actiontec would not keep the IP address active. So the port forward would not work.

2- Give the FTP a static IP address on the FTP itself, Again out side of the DHCP range

3- do a port forward on the actiontec IP address and custom port 20 and 21.

This seem to work and confirmed
dmine45
join:2002-11-03
Fredericksburg, VA

dmine45 to doa

to doa
FTP requires both ports 20 and 21 to work. One sets up the connection and one is the actual data transfer itself. It's the only protocol that appears to work this way. Just forwarding port 21 won't work in most cases.

doa
Baldwin, NY

doa

said by dmine45:

FTP requires both ports 20 and 21 to work. One sets up the connection and one is the actual data transfer itself. It's the only protocol that appears to work this way. Just forwarding port 21 won't work in most cases.

I had it forwarded 20 and 21 but still no luck till outside the DHCP range.

Just infor that may help someoen else
nyrrule27
join:2007-12-06
Howell, NJ

1 edit

nyrrule27 to doa

to doa
if you dont have TV and your router supports 10/100/1000 on the lan and wan ports you can still use your own router

edit..should have asked what speed you upgraded too. 75/35 you an still use your own router 150/65 or higher needs 10/100/1000 on the lan and wan ports