Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON

Teddy Boom

Premium Member

Who are the TPIAs?

Of course we know about CIK (not confirmed, but probably an aggregated TPIA), Distributel (aka Acanac, CIA, 3web, and etc.), Start (on aggregated), and Teksavvy....

In the cover letter for TN29, Rogers says there are 4 aggregated TPIAs. In the cover letter to TN30, Rogers says there are a total of 7 individual customers across 3 aggregated TPIAs subscribed to 75mbps service.

That raises an obvious question, who are the other two aggregated TPIAs?

edit: some links..
»www.crtc.gc.ca/8740/eng/ ··· 8_29.htm
»www.crtc.gc.ca/8740/eng/ ··· 8_30.htm

creed3020
Premium Member
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON

creed3020

Premium Member

Where are you seeing four TPIAs in Roger's cover letter for TN29? I've read that short document and don't see mention anywhere a count of the number of providers.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to Teddy Boom

MVM

to Teddy Boom
IIRC eBox was talking about Ontario cable. They may be in testing mode.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

Teddy Boom to creed3020

Premium Member

to creed3020
said by creed3020:

Where are you seeing four TPIAs in Roger's cover letter for TN29? I've read that short document and don't see mention anywhere a count of the number of providers.

Click my first link, the 29 toward the top in the large print leads to a zip file download. In that you'll find a file named "Rogers Cover Ltr - TN 29_Nov7-2012 .pdf". On page 3 of that document it reads:
Number of customers affected:
Rogers currently has 4 TPIA customers who have 1,680 end-users in total on 18, 28 and 32 Mbps aggregated POI TPIA services.
Teddy Boom

Teddy Boom to Guspaz

Premium Member

to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

Ya, I remember that.. maybe. Even if it is eBox, we are still missing one, and we still don't have strong confirmation that CIK is one. Who signs up with Rogers to be a TPIA and then doesn't do ANY marketing? Distributel subsidiary maybe?
bt
join:2009-02-26
canada

bt

said by Teddy Boom:

and we still don't have strong confirmation that CIK is one.

They've got 75Mbps available, and I'm pretty sure Rogers isn't letting any non-agg have access to that.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

Teddy Boom

Premium Member

said by bt:

said by Teddy Boom:

and we still don't have strong confirmation that CIK is one.

They've got 75Mbps available, and I'm pretty sure Rogers isn't letting any non-agg have access to that.

Yes, for sure, but...

I asked about them in April last year:
»CIK Telecom advertising GTA cable service
At that point I dug up a RFD thread where CIK was caught advertising 7mbps DSL at a time when that wasn't possible. Left me wondering about the reality..

creed3020
Premium Member
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON

1 edit

creed3020 to Teddy Boom

Premium Member

to Teddy Boom
Thanks! That is seriously buried. No way to really notice a link hiding in that wall of text. CRTC website is borderline useless.
said by Teddy Boom:

said by Guspaz:

Ya, I remember that.. maybe. Even if it is eBox, we are still missing one, and we still don't have strong confirmation that CIK is one. Who signs up with Rogers to be a TPIA and then doesn't do ANY marketing? Distributel subsidiary maybe?

My gut feeling is that members of the Distributel family are being counted independently.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

Teddy Boom

Premium Member

said by creed3020:

My gut feeling is that members of the Distributel family are being counted independently.

Well, I did hear vague hints about Acanac moving towards aggregated at least a couple of months before I heard about Teksavvy doing the same. I guess it is possible that they are talking about the "known" four (CIK, Distributel, Start, Teksavvy), but they do very specifically say four TPIAs on aggregated.

I'd let this rest, but I'd really like to reduce the mystery around CIK too. We still don't have solid confirmation that they are a direct TPIA, though they almost certainly are. I wish somebody on CIK would post a tracert, for example

BACONATOR26
Premium Member
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON

BACONATOR26 to creed3020

Premium Member

to creed3020
said by creed3020:

Thanks! That is seriously buried. No way to really notice a link hiding in that wall of text. CRTC website is borderline useless.

said by Teddy Boom:

said by Guspaz:

They wouldn't be. Distributel itself is the legal entity with the wholesale contract and TPIA interconnections. Acanac just uses the same pipes.