spc
uniqs
nickphx
join:2009-10-29
Phoenix, AZ

nickphx to kokkatc

to kokkatc

Re: [CA] COX HSI - High Latency - Bad routing help - San Diego

How are you determining the physical location of the IP addresses in the traceroute? Most tools rely on the address data provided to ARIN and that is not always the physical location of the device..

I seriously doubt cox would run traffic from SD -> ATL -> LA considering LA is a major peering hub.

When I traceroute to a colo I have here in Phoenix from my Cox connection, my traffic leaves Phoenix, goes to LA, then back to Phoenix. Do I blame COX for this? No. While both COX and my colo provider share equal blame in this problem (it takes 2 to peer), it's not all COX's fault.

If the colo provider peered with COX here in Phoenix, my traffic wouldn't take the scenic route.

I looked into getting a connection from COX at my colo since COX is "on net" there.. Their prices per mbit were 10x above market and completely not worth it for me to save ~30ms.

Why don't you provide the output of traceroute as well as the destination IP address?
Needleinthha
join:2009-11-30
Chandler, AZ

Needleinthha

said by nickphx:

When I traceroute to a colo I have here in Phoenix from my Cox connection, my traffic leaves Phoenix, goes to LA, then back to Phoenix. Do I blame COX for this? No. While both COX and my colo provider share equal blame in this problem (it takes 2 to peer), it's not all COX's fault.

Not trying to advertize (im not affiliated with them), but I use atjeu for colo (they are in phoenix) and they use cox so it's a direct connection from here, doesn't route through LA. I get ~10ms pings, really awesome.

It is really annoying that cox doesn't peer in phoenix...that just about EVERYTHING has to goto LA, SF, etc...oh well.
nickphx
join:2009-10-29
Phoenix, AZ

nickphx

The services they provide are nowhere near what I needed or I would have used them. I have 2 full 42u cabinets at phoenix nap, each with 30amp circuits and two 1gig connections with HE.net.. Not bashing Atjeu, but they're more of a mom & pop place to put a machine..