Premium Member
join:2003-01-22
Algonquin, IL

3 recommendations

richdelb to SueS

Premium Member

to SueS

Re: Excellent photo?

Reading this tread made me look at my photos in the gallery and ask "Are any of mine excellent?"

JKK thought this one was "excellent". Does it make it so? I don't know.. I like it (or I would not have posted it, I guess)

I think "excellent" is subjective.

I guess you can use technical indicators to see judge if a picture is properly exposed, in focus, composed correctly (rule of thirds being one "example" but not a DEMAND). If a person or subject is half way cut off the frame, that would be a demerit, etc. But an overall evaluation of "excellent"??? It's too subjective and individualized to be painted with a broad stroke.

The answer, in my opinion, is "It depends"

»/showp ··· folder=0

Is this shot "excellent"? I don't know, but I thought it was good enough to share with you all, so I thought it was "up there"......
krazyboi
Premium Member
join:2008-06-27
Mckinney, TX

krazyboi

Premium Member

said by richdelb:

I guess you can use technical indicators to see judge if a picture is properly exposed, in focus, composed correctly (rule of thirds being one "example" but not a DEMAND). If a person or subject is half way cut off the frame, that would be a demerit, etc. But an overall evaluation of "excellent"??? It's too subjective and individualized to be painted with a broad stroke.

I agree....

SueS
Premium Member
join:2007-05-16
Macon, MO

1 edit

1 recommendation

SueS to richdelb

Premium Member

to richdelb
said by richdelb:

Reading this tread made me look at my photos in the gallery and ask "Are any of mine excellent?"

JKK thought this one was "excellent". Does it make it so? I don't know.. I like it (or I would not have posted it, I guess)

»/showp ··· folder=0

Is this shot "excellent"? I don't know, but I thought it was good enough to share with you all, so I thought it was "up there"......

This was my reason for asking, I was sure we all had different ideas for the word. I like to reserve the word for the best of the best. If we were all making excellent images, wouldn't they be hanging in galleries?

I see wonderful photos everyday and enjoy them, but I don't necessarily think they are all excellent. The word means of a very high quality or standard. I also think that because so many folks are doing photography today that the bar is continually rising.
29886823 (banned)
join:2005-03-29

29886823 (banned)

Who decides if a photograph is 'good' enough to hang in a museum? I think that if enough people with technical and artistic experience decide that a photograph is excellent it most likely is. In this sense excellent might be defined as a collective decision, and not a mix of disparate opinions.
I disagree that we all have different ideas of excellence - then nothing would hang in galleries. There has to be some common acceptance of what excellence means, or else it means nothing.
I also think that your statement that the bar for excellence is continually rising is also not quite true; there may be more people using better equipment, but for some time now equipment can be ruled out as a determining factor, while the human element remains the same.

29886823 (banned)

said by SueS:

This was my reason for asking, I was sure we all had different ideas for the word. I like to reserve the word for the best of the best. If we were all making excellent images, wouldn't they be hanging in galleries?

I was under the impression that we had a Gallery here, and that possibly we had some excellent photos posted here.

Jodokast96
Stupid people piss me off.
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
NJ

1 edit

1 recommendation

Jodokast96 to 29886823

Premium Member

to 29886823
said by 29886823:

Who decides if a photograph is 'good' enough to hang in a museum? I think that if enough people with technical and artistic experience decide that a photograph is excellent it most likely is.

I call BS. A prime example:

»news.yahoo.com/record-ph ··· 446.html
said by 29886823:

In this sense excellent might be defined as a collective decision, and not a mix of disparate opinions.

Except it really is both.
said by 29886823:

I disagree that we all have different ideas of excellence - then nothing would hang in galleries.

Again, BS. See example above.
said by 29886823:

There has to be some common acceptance of what excellence means, or else it means nothing.

See my second comment above.
said by 29886823:

I also think that your statement that the bar for excellence is continually rising is also not quite true; there may be more people using better equipment, but for some time now equipment can be ruled out as a determining factor, while the human element remains the same.

She never mentioned equipment, nor that it was the reason the bar is continually rising. But since you brought it up, the fact that equipment has gotten so cheap means that everybody now has some type of more than decent camera with them at all times. This has not only given people who previously may not have had any equipment at all to now enter the world of photography. And given the ubiquity of cameras out there, any and everyone can now truly "f/8 and be there".