spc
uniqs
jkoblovsky
join:2011-09-27
Keswick, ON

1 edit

jkoblovsky

Re: Massive Stakes for Online Privacy in Teksavvy Vs Voltage

One thing I to strongly agree with though is that people do get independent legal advice. I'm pretty sure that Teksavvy was represented in the copyright consultations by the CAIP. It's my understanding that they are members of the CAIP.

Regardless of what Marc, myself or anyone says, know what your rights are. Information is key, and there's no harm in asking questions posed in this post to legal council to ensure individuals have an adequate legal defense.

I'm also expecting several people, even legal experts who have financial stakes in all of this to disagree quite strongly with what I've posted. Independent legal council is in a way better position to inform you of your legal rights and defense, than any information posted by any party online. There are a lot of people, even good people who have financial stakes in all of this.

The reason why I've posted this, is so that individuals can ask certain questions this post raises, to ensure that your rights are protected going forward.

TSI Marc
Premium Member
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc

Premium Member

To my knowledge, we have no association with CAIP.
jkoblovsky
Keswick, ON

jkoblovsky

said by TSI Marc:

I find that hard to believe Marc, considering your past involvement.

»www.cbc.ca/news/technolo ··· rtc.html

[blockquote]We're bracing for a worst-case scenario, as Bell has a lot to lose if this doesn't go their way," said Rocky Gaudrault, chief executive of TekSavvy, a CAIP member. [/blockquote]

Where's Teksavvy's copyright consultation submission?

TSI Marc
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc

Premium Member

said by jkoblovsky:

said by TSI Marc:

I find that hard to believe Marc, considering your past involvement.

»www.cbc.ca/news/technolo ··· rtc.html

[blockquote]We're bracing for a worst-case scenario, as Bell has a lot to lose if this doesn't go their way," said Rocky Gaudrault, chief executive of TekSavvy, a CAIP member. [/blockquote]

Where's Teksavvy's copyright consultation submission?

Dude. That article is from 2008 and talks about throttling... not copyright. If CAIP was involved with Copyright consultations.. we didn't have anything to do with it.
jkoblovsky
Keswick, ON

jkoblovsky

Marc,

There were a lot of people hiding behind lobbies in the copyright consultations. Sometimes interested parties were represented 4 to 5 times.

Regardless, can we at least agree here that no matter what has been said, the appropriate place to ask questions to ensure your own customers rights are being respected, is for them to contact a lawyer for independent legal advice.

I'm not out to "get" Teksavvy. My main concern here throughout all of this is to ensure people get sound advice from their legal council, and that they question their council to ensure their rights are respected through this process.

TSI Marc
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

1 recommendation

TSI Marc

Premium Member

said by jkoblovsky:

Marc,

There were a lot of people hiding behind lobbies in the copyright consultations. Sometimes interested parties were represented 4 to 5 times.

Regardless, can we at least agree here that no matter what has been said, the appropriate place to ask questions to ensure your own customers rights are being respected, is for them to contact a lawyer for independent legal advice.

I'm not out to "get" Teksavvy. My main concern here throughout all of this is to ensure people get sound advice from their legal council, and that they question their council to ensure their rights are respected through this process.

If people were hiding behind lobbies and represented multiple times.. you're just as guilty for assume we were one of them. We were not. If Rocky had something to say.. he just came out and said it.

When were these consultations you're talking about anyway?

I do agree that you should know your rights you should speak to a lawyer for that. I dont think people should use your post to know their rights.

For the "get" TekSavvy. With comments like "especially if ISPs are not coming to bat for their consumers privacy". It appears to me that that is exactly what you're doing. Whether intended or not, that is the net effect.

We've actually done a lot in fact. Maybe if you said something like: "They've done everything possible except do what a dedicated Privacy advocacy group does", that might be closer to what's actually going on.
jkoblovsky
Keswick, ON

jkoblovsky

said by TSI Marc See Profile
If people were hiding behind lobbies and represented multiple times.. you're just as guilty for assume we were one of them.

That's why it's extremely important Marc for consumers to question their independent legal council.

Yes you are right, I could be hiding behind a lobby pushing for an agenda. And from following the consultations, people should be concerned on that, no doubt. At least I'm in good company, with testimony from Governments own independent sources (which do not have a financial stake in this) to back up my position. That testimony will be used in a forthcoming economic post on the subject.

I welcome any scrutiny, and I think my record on standing up for consumer issues over the past year, speaks for itself.

jkoblovsky

jkoblovsky to TSI Marc

to TSI Marc
Sorry I misread what you wrote, very eager to defend my position on what I've written.

Okay, I'll take you to task on this. If Teksavvy doesn't agree with the notice to notice approach, it's still before government with ISPs being represented, is Teksavvy willing to oppose such an approach publicly?

TSI Marc
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc

Premium Member

said by jkoblovsky:

Sorry I misread what you wrote, very eager to defend my position on what I've written.

Okay, I'll take you to task on this. If Teksavvy doesn't agree with the notice to notice approach, it's still before government with ISPs being represented, is Teksavvy willing to oppose such an approach publicly?

Jason,

I'm really not sure what you mean. Take me to task? Isn't that what you were already doing? You're talking all cryptic. I don't understand what you're trying to say.

I checked and we haven't had anything to do with CAIP for more than two years and probably closer to three.

I'm not trying to cut you down, you clearly care about these issues and that's good.

For Notice and Notice, i don't know much about it at this point other than it hasn't yet come into effect and a consultation is to start at some point soon. If it were into effect now, it still wouldn't prevent this Voltage situation since it's meant as an alternate method not a replacement path to the one Voltage has opted for.

In general, as I'm sure you can imagine by everything that's gone on so far, I'm pretty fond of the notion of giving our customers notice ahead of these things. We have quite literally flipped the bill for all of this at this point even when there is no such requirement and we may not even recover our costs depending on what the court may order. In fact as I stated before, we will almost surely be out of pocket.
jkoblovsky
Keswick, ON

jkoblovsky

Marc,

I understand your position on distancing yourself from all of this. In your position I would do the same. I know you didn't ask Voltage to come walking up to your office with legal threats, and for the most part do recognize in part the decision to get consumer advocates involved with this, as noted in the OP.

Whether or not at this point ISPs have acted in the correct manner over the past few weeks, is something that needs to be questioned by defendants in this and other cases including future cases, and that's a conversation that needs to happen with their respected lawyers, and I'm sure will be and currently is subjected to debate, not just on my personal blog, but others and that has already started long before this post.

What I've posted up on my personal blog, are my personal thoughts . Right or wrong, the post raises legal questions, neither you or I are qualified to answer in this case. I think we've both agreed to that point earlier in this thread.

With that, I wish you and your staff a very Merry Christmas.

Pedant
@teksavvy.com

Pedant to jkoblovsky

Anon

to jkoblovsky
said by jkoblovsky:

My main concern here throughout all of this is to ensure people get sound advice from their legal council, and that they question their council to ensure their rights are respected through this process.

That's counsel not council. Sorry, but it was starting to bug me.

TSI Marc
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

1 recommendation

TSI Marc to jkoblovsky

Premium Member

to jkoblovsky
said by jkoblovsky:

Marc,

I understand your position on distancing yourself from all of this. In your position I would do the same. I know you didn't ask Voltage to come walking up to your office with legal threats, and for the most part do recognize in part the decision to get consumer advocates involved with this, as noted in the OP.

Whether or not at this point ISPs have acted in the correct manner over the past few weeks, is something that needs to be questioned by defendants in this and other cases including future cases, and that's a conversation that needs to happen with their respected lawyers, and I'm sure will be and currently is subjected to debate, not just on my personal blog, but others and that has already started long before this post.

What I've posted up on my personal blog, are my personal thoughts . Right or wrong, the post raises legal questions, neither you or I are qualified to answer in this case. I think we've both agreed to that point earlier in this thread.

With that, I wish you and your staff a very Merry Christmas.

All good Jason. We haven't done this though:

"I understand your position on distancing yourself from all of this. In your position I would do the same"

We actually did the opposite. We made sure to raise all of these issues to the forefront and make sure it was well heard and noticed.

...no demand letters do make for a Merrier Christmas. Happy Holidays.
Fuzzy285
join:2012-12-12

Fuzzy285 to jkoblovsky

to jkoblovsky
If ISP's retained only 2-3 days worth of logs, all these issues would become moot, at least until new law is passed forcing them to keep logs. Good luck legally forcing a private business to protect the interests of a 3rd party who is neither government nor law enforcement.

"You want the logs? Sure. From when? Oh, sorry, we do not have logs for that date. But you're welcome to a free mint on your way out".

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to TSI Marc

Premium Member

to TSI Marc
said by TSI Marc:

I checked and we haven't had anything to do with CAIP for more than two years and probably closer to three.

I'm pretty sure there is a CAIP logo in the banner in MyWorld...

It's not clickable though... But perhaps its better to be removed if you have nothing to do with them anymore...

Are they still active anyway? Seems that most of the recent stuff with UBB/CBB has been done with CNOC.
jkoblovsky
Keswick, ON

jkoblovsky

said by HiVolt:

said by TSI Marc:

It's not clickable though... But perhaps its better to be removed if you have nothing to do with them anymore...

Are they still active anyway? Seems that most of the recent stuff with UBB/CBB has been done with CNOC.

Just a quick note, the quote from the CAIP I used was from the Toronto Round Table on August 27, 2009 @ 3:00 p.m

»www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/00 ··· 034.html

That puts that quote at more than 3 years old.

Tx
bronx cheers from cheap seats
Premium Member
join:2008-11-19
Mississauga, ON

Tx to HiVolt

Premium Member

to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

said by TSI Marc:

lol that would be a good idea since Marc said they haven't had anything to do with them in over 2 years