Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Deschain

join:2012-12-13
Blighty

Monitor Wavy Line Problem

Hi all.

I have recently bought a new GPU (MSI HD7850) and since then have developed very faint wavy lines on my monitor when playing games. These lines are very hard to describe, they are not solid, more like 'ghost' looking and are horizontal across the screen. I guess you could call it a wave effect and easier to see against a dark background.

At first I thought it was the GPU, but I tried with a GTX460 and I had the same problem (tested in GW2). I have tried changing the VGA cables (that's all my monitor can take) and even changed the vga/dvi adapter attached to the gpu.

Am I looking at potentially getting a new monitor here, or am i missing something blatantly obvious?

Oh and there is no other electrical equipment around the PC. Just the monitor and modem.

Hope you can help

FizzyMyNizzy

join:2004-05-29
New York, NY

2 edits

does this still happen with v.sync off? try turning it off in game, and in the nvidia control panel.

If it is already off, try it with on.

PS: can you take a picture of the problem?

aguen
Premium
join:2003-07-16
Grants Pass, OR
kudos:2
reply to Deschain

When you say "monitor", are we talking about an LCD or CRT monitor?

Deschain

Blighty
reply to Deschain

Ive tried turning Vsync on and off - no change.

Ive tried to get a screenshot from a couple of games, but the lines dont seem to show.

Its an LCD Acer X233H

Dogg
Premium
join:2003-06-11
Belleville, IL
reply to Deschain

Test the monitor on another PC. Then you will know for sure.
--
Google is your Friend

Deschain

Blighty

I tried it with another monitor, same problems.

Could it be that my PSU is going?

FizzyMyNizzy

New York, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL

something like that:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=th2cubJjMOY

???

Deschain

Blighty

No its ALOT more subtle than that - kind of like a very faint flickering, like there is some interference somewhere - its most notable on darker backgrounds. Its not like a graphics glitch.

I tried the onboard gpu, no flickering. But both the 7850 and 460 have it. Maybe when more power is going through? I dont know.

Deschain

Blighty
reply to Deschain

Just a quick question. Is my PSU »www.overclockers.co.uk/showprodu···A-148-AN powerful enough for a 7850 ?

FizzyMyNizzy

New York, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to Deschain

»support.acer.com/acerpanam/Manua···233H.pdf

I am guessing SG X233H and X233H are the same...

page 6

quote:
Notes: Due to the nature of the fluorescent light, the screen may flicker during initial use. Turn off the Power Switch and
then turn it on again to make sure the flicker disappears.
Maybe call or e-mail Acer. If it is still under warranty return it back to them.

Deschain

Blighty

Sorry Fizzy, its not a new monitor. I have had it for about 2 years.

The only new thing in my PC is the GPU

FizzyMyNizzy

New York, NY

I wonder can you change the setting on the Screen Refresh Rate? and see does that help.

If you are using windows 7. Right click on the background, Screen Resolution, Advanced settings, 2nd tab "Monitor" and maybe try that 59, 60hz... shrug..

Deschain

Blighty

The only one I can select there is 60hz :S

Here s what I have discovered so far......

Thought it was a problem with my 7850 - tried it with a GTX460 - same problem.

Thought it was my monitor - tried a different monitor with both GPUs - same problem.

Ran the computer on the onboard gpu - problem went, although it was at a much lower resolution.

I'm lost.

Edit. Playing Sleeping Dogs - the problem was very pronounced when the gpu was obviously being used alot. Not on the menus, but in game.....

Mister_E

join:2004-04-02
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
reply to Deschain

Could be interference - do you have any speakers near by the monitor/cable? VGA is an analog signal and susceptible to interference - poor quality VGA cables exhibit this condition even more so. Check the cabling in/around the PC - you could try moving them around while the wavy lines are on screen to see if there's any effect.

Also, if you're BIOS has the option, you could try enabling (or disabling if it's already enabled) the 'Spread Spectrum' setting.

Finally, the PSU could be the culprit as well.

Deschain

Blighty

1 edit

I have just read, somewhere on the interwebs that newer graphics cards do NOT like VGA connections. I have a dvi / vga adapter from my GPU to the VGA conenction on the monitor.

Could this be the problem?

Edit: »mybroadband.co.za/vb/archive/ind···857.html This is my problem. Looks like I may need to get a new monitor with dvi / hdmi...

Aranarth

join:2011-11-04
Stanwood, MI
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to Deschain

Yep newer LCD monitors are designed for digital input first. VGA or analogue input is added as an afterthought.

LCD monitors with vga input only display this short of issue because you are taking a digital signal, converting to analogue (vga) and then taking the vga signal and converting it back to digital to be displayed by the lcd.

With regular CRT's, they are designed for analogue input and that is what they display. As long as the electron gun can synch with the input signal you will get a clear picture every time.

This is why I still use CRT's for troubleshooting older machines, you never know for sure what the output signal will be and since CRT's can synch at all kinds of rates you will almost always get a good picture. I only use my LCD's on new machines that have dvi output etc.