share rss forum feed

Libra
Premium
join:2003-08-06
USA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

Fios 50/25 speed - getting 29kb/sec on a 300MB file?

what kind of speed is this?
I'm trying to download a 300+ file and it's speed rate is 20 or 30/kb per second! I have a couple of browser windows open but I don't think it should cause this.

I didn't test today but when I usually test at speednet dot com it usually shows speeds of approximately 50 mb/28 mb.

Earlier I downloaded a large file on another computer and it started off at about 30kb/sec but then went to 1.02mb/sec.

Does anyone know why this is happening?

I'm in the Northeast if that matters.

EDIT: If a file takes this long to download, can the integrity of the file be compromised?

Sincerely, Libra

RolteC
0h

join:2001-05-20
Fresh Meadows, NY

The integrity, no. A timeout that will cause you to start over - very possible.

I just started downloading the same exact file from microsoft's website.

16.2KB/sec is what I am seeing.

The problem isn't FiOS, its the website.

Try this link: »www.microsoft.com/en-us/download···id=20858

The filename is exactly the same, so is the size. Don't know why it states Win 7 vs Win 2008.

patt2k

join:2009-01-16
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Libra

you might wanna give a download manager a try.

If you want the ultimate one

Internet Download Manager
if you want a free one

Free Download Manager

they both utilize my speeds to it's full 11.00 MB/s

houkouonchi

join:2002-07-22
Ontario, CA
reply to RolteC

It likely was indeed the server to Roltec's link I see 7.5 megabytes/sec from home and 12.5 megabyes/sec from my colo'd server so not bad at all.
--
300/150 mbit Bonded Verizon FiOS connection FTW!

Libra
Premium
USA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

Thank you everyone. I appreciate knowing it was the link and not FIOS. I ended up canceling the download and I used a flash drive to copy that file from my other computer.

RolteC - I needed that file for my Vista computer. I used your link and navigated to the file for Vista x86 - the file size was 127MB and it downloaded in less than a minute! Thank you.

Sincerely, Libra

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:24
reply to Libra

From my own experience around this time of year is when Microsoft's download servers get crushed or are super slow. It's not FiOS

rebus9

join:2002-03-26
Tampa Bay
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Bright House
reply to Libra

What method were you using to download? Browser (http or ftp), some form of copy/paste using Windows file sharing, or other?

Latency is always a bad thing, but it REALLY kills transfers over SMB/CIFS (Windows file sharing). To give you a real world example: 35/35 FIOS connection to the datacenter has 50 ms latency, and we get well below 10 Mbps performance on Copy/Paste operations. On a Road Runner connection to the same facility which has only 15 ms latency, performance is in the 18-20 Mbps range for Copy/Paste.

BDP (bandwidth delay product) combined with sub-optimal window sizes, destroys file transfers. That's why a multi-threaded download manager can be so valuable.... but that doesn't help anyone who uses Windows file sharing across the WAN.

Libra
Premium
USA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

Hi rebus9,

I apologize for the delay, I didn't realize you had posted.

I used a link with my browser, Pale Moon (http).

How do I know if I'm using file sharing across the WAN? (I don't think so, I have a Private Home Network with two wired computers and one laptop. I'm only sharing a printer, although I do have file and print sharing checked.)

I'm glad that this slow download is a rare occurence.

Thank you.

Sincerely, Libra

rebus9

join:2002-03-26
Tampa Bay
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Bright House

said by Libra:

I used a link with my browser, Pale Moon (http).

How do I know if I'm using file sharing across the WAN?

If you're downloading via browser link, you're almost certainly using http or ftp. SMB/CIFS would not be used. That being the case, the unusually slow transfer could have been an issue at the server's end or perhaps some type of network issue somewhere in between. Hard to say without more visibility into the end-to-end path.

Libra
Premium
USA

Thank you very much. I imagine it might have been the Microsoft servers. I'm glad it's not my Fios!

Sincerely, Libra