join:2010-02-26
Canada

1 recommendation

FiReSTaRT to mm

Premium Member

to mm

Re: [Voip.ms] voip.ms compromised the privacy of Canadian teleph

said by mm:

I actually feel sorry for companies like VOIP.ms when they have to deal with customers like you. I can only assume you have to something to hide with this level of paranoia. But thanks for really giving me a good laugh on Christmas!!

While I don't expect anything on the Internet to be private, I understand where the OP's coming from. Your government routinely likes to intercept all sorts of communication. They're trying to catch up to the level of surveillance only found in countries like China and the UK. Just because we don't have anything to hide, doesn't mean that we have something to show. You're belittling a person for caring about their privacy.
MartinM
VoIP.ms
Premium Member
join:2008-07-21

MartinM

Premium Member

said by FiReSTaRT:

You're belittling a person for caring about their privacy.

Worrying is one thing, asking questions about it is just fine, but posting a public thread on an American website with a misleading title indicating that we actually, literally "compromised" customer security is not ok. It's borderline trolling and misleading readers.

We've moved POP's around for years (Since 2007 actually) this practice is not new and yes, there's nothing to worry about unless you're an actual criminal.

We understand to a certain extent the OP concern, and I hope the posters in this thread clarify his doubt enough. If the OP has more concerns regarding this temporary move, we'll be glad to help via our support system.
Dan_voip
join:2007-01-03
Saint-Hubert, QC

Dan_voip to FiReSTaRT

to FiReSTaRT
said by FiReSTaRT:

said by mm:

I actually feel sorry for companies like VOIP.ms when they have to deal with customers like you. I can only assume you have to something to hide with this level of paranoia. But thanks for really giving me a good laugh on Christmas!!

While I don't expect anything on the Internet to be private, I understand where the OP's coming from. Your government routinely likes to intercept all sorts of communication. They're trying to catch up to the level of surveillance only found in countries like China and the UK. Just because we don't have anything to hide, doesn't mean that we have something to show. You're belittling a person for caring about their privacy.

The point here is if voip.ms did something wrong by moving the clients from Toronto server to a US server and if the privacy for OP would be better by leaving his account on a server located in Canada. As we all learned here the answer to both questions is no I guess even OP is convinced now that voip.ms didn't do anything wrong. That doesn't make him feel better regarding his privacy but at least he knows now(and we all learned that) what to expect from no matter which voip company located in Canada or elsewhere.
nonymous (banned)
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ

nonymous (banned) to MartinM

to MartinM
said by MartinM:

We've moved POP's around for years (Since 2007 actually) this practice is not new and yes, there's nothing to worry about unless you're an actual criminal.

That type or statement will bring the tinfoil hats out along with privacy advocates.
Only criminals need to worry. Just admitted some snooping can take place. Then people will come out and ask who determines who is a criminal?

mm
I Did It My Way
Premium Member
join:2001-04-07
Summerville, SC

mm to FiReSTaRT

Premium Member

to FiReSTaRT
said by FiReSTaRT:

You're belittling a person for caring about their privacy.

I don't think so. Anyone who makes that kind of statement is way too paranoid. If he really feels that my country is going illegally listen to his phone calls then he should not even own a telephone.