nightdesigns
Gone missing, back soon
Premium
join:2002-05-31
AZ
Reviews:
·CenturyLink

Hulu Plus...Tried it...hated it...

I don't get the point of "plus", pay for service that still has commercials (like the free side), and only a very limited quantity of shows that you can watch on your TV. I don't want to watch on my computer.

Maybe if it was a couple of bucks per month, but at their price point, there are other alternatives available that are better.

Pass.
--
This Space for Rent...

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

1 recommendation

said by nightdesigns:

I don't get the point of "plus", pay for service that still has commercials (like the free side),

You pay for cable TV and it has commercials doesn't it?

Skippy25

join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO
Yes, but you are paying for cable to rebroadcast. You are not paying them for the ads as they get a little ad space as part of their agreement to rebroadcast.

See the difference there?

NotTheMama
What Would Earl Do?

join:2012-12-06
reply to 88615298
Actually, that's the primary reason why I don't have cable TV.
--
"...but ya doesn't hasta call me Johnson!"

rradina

join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO
reply to Skippy25
But not all of your payment goes to the cable company to maintain the infrastructure. If that were true, then I'd agree with you.

We pay for "channels" that then also advertise.

NotTheMama
What Would Earl Do?

1 edit
reply to nightdesigns
said by nightdesigns:

I don't want to watch on my computer.

You should hook your computer up to an HD-TV.

[Edit:] If your computer isn't really good for that, then you could try what I'm planning to do--get that new $200 Acer Chromebook and hook it up (for my sister for Christmas). It's one of its advertised features, so I expect it'll work well enough.
--

mlcarson

join:2001-09-20
Los Alamos, NM
reply to nightdesigns
You can connect your computer up to your TV. You don't have to watch on a computer screen.

NotTheMama
What Would Earl Do?

ECHO... Echo... echo... echo

--

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness
reply to Skippy25
said by Skippy25:

Yes, but you are paying for cable to rebroadcast. You are not paying them for the ads as they get a little ad space as part of their agreement to rebroadcast.

See the difference there?

So whether or not you approve of commercials is based on how they are displayed? I think most people don't like commercials PERIOD regardless of the reason why they exist.

spewak
R.I.P Dadkins
Premium
join:2001-08-07
Elk Grove, CA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·SureWest Internet
reply to NotTheMama
said by NotTheMama:

ECHO... Echo... echo... echo

You should hook up your computer to an HD TV.
--
Romney becomes "the" Epic Failure!

jseymour

join:2009-12-11
Waterford, MI
reply to nightdesigns
said by nightdesigns:

I don't get the point of "plus", pay for service that still has commercials (like the free side),

I didn't mind the limited commercials on H+.

said by nightdesigns:

and only a very limited quantity of shows ...

That's what caused us to dump it. There was really very little on H+ that was of interest to us.

There are programs we DVR because they're on at inconvenient times. When we watch them we skip the commercials entirely. If they'd had them on H+, we'd have skipped recording them and watched them on H+, instead. They'd have gotten our advertising target eyeballs and our $8/mo.

I honestly don't get their thinking at all.

Jim

jseymour

join:2009-12-11
Waterford, MI
reply to NotTheMama
said by NotTheMama:

You should hook your computer up to an HD-TV.

[Edit:] If your computer isn't really good for that, then you could try what I'm planning to do--get that new $200 Acer Chromebook ...

That won't be HD, tho, either way, will it?

Jim

NotTheMama
What Would Earl Do?

1 edit
Well, non-Plus hulu doesn't have HD, but non-HD TVs don't have the connections for the hook up (VGA or HDMI/DVI). [Edit:] Of course, it's about the signal from the computer--which is assuredly "HD"--and not whether hulu is offering HD content.
--

Spectral
Likes Cookies
Premium
join:2002-05-03
Salem, OR
reply to NotTheMama
Or something like playon streaming wireless to a roku box/wii/whatever on the tv will get you the free version of Hulu.

NotTheMama
What Would Earl Do?

I don't need it myself. My sister, however, is technically inept; I was going to get her a Chromebook anyway--something she can just turn on and use for browsing (no worries about updating anything etc--a "web appliance" really). Hooking it up to the HD-TV for a larger screen would happen anyway. Accessing hulu isn't the reason--it's just along for the ride. (Anyway, I like watching hulu on my computer just fine--nice big screen, good speaker system. I even like hulu's vanilla web interface better than hulu Plus on a netbox--no delay into/out of commercials.)
--

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
reply to NotTheMama
Why do you need a computer to watch Hulu Plus HD? You just watch directly on your Samsung Smart HD TV.

NotTheMama
What Would Earl Do?

I don't (seeing as I don't have hulu Plus). Nor do I have a Samsung Smart HD-TV. (I saw what you did there. However, I did just get a Samsung Smart Blu-ray player--haven't played with the "smart" stuff yet.) I did try hulu Plus once, on my non-Samsung, non-Smart-but-smart-enough Sony netbox (which works great with Netflix); it could take hulu as much as a minute between going from content to commercial or vice versa. Whether it was something about hulu or about the netbox I don't know. At the time, though, a lot of shows were still "unavailable" for viewing on a TV--couldn't say how true that is now. Of all the features hulu Plus offers now, the only one that seems even a little interesting is being able to watch lots more episodes of all or mostly all(?) the shows. But the only time I ever watch hulu is to catch a recent show that I happened to miss (yep, like an always on VCR/DVR that catches everything). So, nothing really "value-added" there for me. And I hate commercials (which don't make TV "free" by the way--they just make everything we buy more expensive, so we wind up paying for it anyway).
--