how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jcjost

join:2004-08-21
Bethesda, MD
reply to SidR

Re: Prices going up 20% starting next month/new year.

I'm in the same position (Bethesda, MD) with an 8% price hike for TV and Internet. My wife got nowhere speaking to the RCN telephone reps and is pushing to switch to Verizon/FIOS. I would really prefer not to, but then my salary hasn't increased by 8%.

John

SidR

join:2010-03-19
reply to Nubiatech

Here in DC, I see that my bill just went up 10%. Over time, I've lowered my services to keep my monthly bill the same (switched from Premier pack, to Premier sports, and now nothing Premier), but now RCN's rates are totally out of whack with FIOS, and probably with Comcast too. RCN ought to learn that as consumers we have choices. I told the RCN rep about FIOS's rates ($15 less per month without any negotiating with Verizon, plus if I sign a contract a $300 gift card, though I don't know if I'll do the contract), all she could offer back was saving about $3 per month by switching from 2 TiVos to one Multiroom-Tivo and another box. The inflexibility of the phone support on pricing is going to start hurting RCN. Verizon's rollout of FIOS is continuing pretty quickly through DC (where Verizon committed to a large footprint for FIOS years ago with the District government), and while I might have paid a small premium for RCN service over Comcast, if anything I'd pay a small premium for FIOS service over RCN. Best, Sid

Nubiatech
soy capitan

join:2007-09-02
Chicago, IL
kudos:1
reply to rcncares

Hi Emilie,
Thanks for offering to take a look; but at this point, I am looking into other options.

Thanks.
--
puo uo oo

fridayweb

join:2012-12-31
Chicago, IL
reply to alternator

Re: [Need Info]Prices going up 20% - Chicago, IL

More than 30% hike for Internet-only for me, after the same size hike just over a year ago. I swallowed it then because I've been very pleased with RCN (though I did buy a modem to save the $5/mo.), but a 50% hike in 14 months is just not going to work for me - or anyone else in my situation, I imagine.

Hogwild89

@rcn.com
reply to wookie

said by wookie:

My wife is already pushing cancelling cable in favor of Netflix/ Amazon Prime content, this is only going to seal the deal.

I love cable, but considering the amount of time it sits idle, its alot of cash.

My car sits idle for 21 hours a day when I'm not commuting to and from work but yet I still make my $300/mo lease payments. Netflix and amazon prime won't replace local news reports when u get inclement weather or sandy like storms. To me that alone is worth keeping cable. Perhaps consider downgrading to a cheaper package.

wookie

join:2012-12-27
reply to Nubiatech

My wife is already pushing cancelling cable in favor of Netflix/ Amazon Prime content, this is only going to seal the deal.

I love cable, but considering the amount of time it sits idle, its alot of cash.

rcncares
Emilie
Premium,VIP
join:2012-01-04
Gainesville, VA
reply to alternator

I can look over your account if you would like to private message the name on your account to me.

Emilie

rcncares
Emilie
Premium,VIP
join:2012-01-04
Gainesville, VA
reply to Nubiatech

If you would like to private message the name on your account to me, I can take a look.

Emilie

alternator

join:2012-10-02
Chicago, IL
reply to Nubiatech

Re: [Need Info]Prices going up 20% - Chicago, IL

I am a Chicago customer and also received the same letter. I only subscribe to high-speed internet service and my rate is scheduled to increase 30%!

I plan on calling RCN on the next normal business day to give them the ultimatum of keeping my current rate or else I will switch my connection to Comcast (both terminate inside my building.)

As the OP mentioned, the form letter states increased "license fees paid to networks in general." How does this affect their costs of providing internet?

Has anyone else called customer service to keep their current rates?

Nubiatech
soy capitan

Chicago, IL
reply to mlabate

No mention of internet prices, just the whole bill going up, no itemization offered. I have Tivo Premiere Signature + Internet.
--
puo uo oo

mlabate

join:2007-09-03
USA
reply to Nubiatech

According to the wording that sounds like the rate increase is only on TV related services, does it mention anything about Internet prices?

Nubiatech
soy capitan

Chicago, IL

1 edit

[Need Info]Prices going up 20% - Chicago, IL

I just received a letter from RCN stating that monthly service rate is going up by about 20%.
The reason given for this rate increase:
"Programming license fees paid to networks in general, and sports channels in particular, and now local broadcasters, comprise one of the larger costs in our business. Both programming and operating costs continue to escalate."
My questions are:
1. Is there any law or new regulation going into effect in the new year that has something to do with this rate increase? Are local broadcasters charging more starting the new year?
2. Has there ever been a rate increase of more than 10% in the past 5-10 years?

I am just trying to come to terms with this, and make a rational decision about my cable service or content options.
--
puo uo oo