spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Random_H3ro
join:2012-12-21
Ottawa, IL

Random_H3ro

[Cable HSI] Splitters!?!?

So i have called customer support about my internet being down and they always tell me to remove my splitter saying its bad and so i do and the internet works but then i cant watch tv so i buy a new splitter works for awhile boom no internet call up again oh remove the splitter they say its bad to and today I have my cable modem hooked directly to the wire coming in from outside no luck with any splitters at all could it be im getting a bad signal or something please help?

Anonymous88
Premium Member
join:2004-06-01
IA

Anonymous88

Premium Member

You need to get a tech out.

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium Member
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad to Random_H3ro

Premium Member

to Random_H3ro
Hello Random_H3ro,

Private message me your account or phone number and I'll be happy to look into this for you.
kb0nly
join:2003-07-25
Tyler, MN

kb0nly to Random_H3ro

to Random_H3ro
Get a drop amp with active return, thats what i ended up doing here about a year ago when i went through three splitters and signal problems on the tv side.

Anonymous88
Premium Member
IA

Anonymous88

Premium Member

FYI Mediacom is not a big fan of customer installed amplifiers and they hate amplifiers with active return. If you need one just to get your modem to stay online you have another issue and you should get a tech out.
kb0nly
Tyler, MN

1 recommendation

kb0nly

Who gives a shit what Mediacom hates??

If they would turn up the damn signal to the point that my TV isn't like looking out the window at the snow falling i wouldn't need the drop amp. I had FIVE, count them FIVE, service calls in two weeks for snowy signal issues, they blamed everything from my cables to my BRAND NEW LCD TV. I replaced all the house cabling with brand new VERY EXPENSIVE RG6 Quad Shielded cables, high quality compression fittings, and only one splitter that was also of high quality origin, nothing cheap. Then they blamed the underground feed drop and ran a cable across the lawn, NO CHANGE.

We had a tornado take all the lines down last July, all were replaced, the signal improved slightly but still had some snow on the picture. I bought a drop amp and figured if i was going to do that i might as well get an active return so that i could use a single splitter point, which is the drop amp, three lines go to TV's, one line goes to the Modem, no other splitters or stuff to worry about.

Picture is great, modem doesn't have to work as hard, and the internet is rock solid with MY new modem that i had to purchase because the Mediacom dumbasses in my area can't get it through their head to supply a DOCSIS 3.0 modem when on the 30 or 50mb tier.

Did i need a drop amp with active return to stay online?? NO... Did i need it to make my TV picture decent? YES... So why not get the active return unit for $5 more and let the modem benefit from it to?

This Anonymous guy is obviously a Mediacom Tech or Employee at least, because judging from his comments on the forums he doesn't care about the customers at all and keeps offering bad advice.

If you need help send a IM to MediacomChad, he is the only Mediacom employee that actually cares and does his job, in fact he does far more!

Anonymous88
Premium Member
IA

Anonymous88

Premium Member

I am a Mediacom tech. Let me explain why cable cos don't like equipment that is not issued by them

Most of the time (obviously not you) people get the cheapest cable/splitters they can find. They install wiring and cause major ingress. Add an active return amp and now that ingress gets worse.
It is a never ending struggle. Just one of these can take a whole node down. If you have an insane amount of ingress backfeeding from home your place WILL get disconnected and will be off until a tech checks your wiring.
kb0nly
Tyler, MN

kb0nly

Its funny you mention that the cable companies dont like these amps, i know of at least a dozen homes here that have drop amps in them, single input and output, feeding a 3-4 way splitter and the tv's in the house, all done by the tech. I watched one of the techs install an amp about three months ago, which is why i got my drop amp to eliminate the snow here, figured if the techs are doing it i might as well to.

Generally here they put a two way splitter on the line and then one side to the amp and the other to the modem. Seems to be pretty common to find one of these hanging in the basement. They aren't installing them as of lately, i assume since the cable system is in better shape since all the lines were replaced. But there is more than few here with a Property of Mediacom label on the wall wart and the amp.

Anonymous88
Premium Member
IA

Anonymous88

Premium Member

For most homes with 5 outlets or more you do need an amp for your tvs. Mediacom will install an amp if needed and at no extra charge. The problem is mediacom will not truobleshoot third party equipment if you decide to get your own amp.
dwiecking
join:2002-10-28
Bethany Beach, DE

1 recommendation

dwiecking to kb0nly

to kb0nly
He didn't say cable companies don't like these amps, he said they don't like ones not issued by them. Stating that a (Mediacom?) tech installed them seems to be proving his point, not yours.
Random_H3ro
Ottawa, IL

Random_H3ro

Mediacoms been called to my place twice replaced the same splitter both times saying its bad so they gave me a new one so for the last 2 days no internet so today i hooked the modem directly to the cable wire and what do ya know perfect signals why are all my splitters goin to hell could it be a poorly grounded drop i usually get a pretty good zap when i mess around with the splitter and cables?

Anonymous88
Premium Member
IA

Anonymous88

Premium Member

You need to get a tech out again. It appears you have another issue and not just a bad splitter.
Random_H3ro
Ottawa, IL

Random_H3ro

Any thoughts on what it is Anonymous? I can already hear the techs voice goin threw my head "oh its just a bad splitter heres a new one your good to go."
StreatorTech
join:2009-12-02
Streator, IL

1 recommendation

StreatorTech

If you are getting a zap then you have bad grounding or something else causing voltage to get into your lines. I am basically the lead tech in the area - send me a message with your address or account number and I will see about getting something setup with you this week and I will come out and get you squared away.