All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
yutz23
join:2012-12-18
Hinton, IA

yutz23

Re: Networking between buildings

Thanks guys for the responses. Lots of good info here.

Fiber:
If I was going to go the fiber route, would it be recommended that I use 4 strands instead of 2? This is the route that I am headed. The maintenance crew could probably get me down about 18 inches in the ground or so. Suggestions on conduit at that level? I would still get the burial cable, but put it in the conduit as an extra level of protection.

VDSL2
I have never done any work with VDSL2 so that would be new to me. Not really sure how it would tie in.

Wireless:
Wireless is almost out of the equation. I'll open up a forum like MK101 said and see what those wireless guys say. One of the bigger selling points to the camp is the ability to get it all the way out to the Chapel. I assume most individuals know how much technology in a chapel needs a network...

Juke Box
His Word Never Fails
Premium Member
join:2001-01-29
Psalm 96 ESV

Juke Box

Premium Member

VDSL2 is an LRE (Long Range Ethernet) solution.

VDSL is over a pair. You can use blue and blue/white connected to RJ10 connectors. That simple. Low effort if a person can crimp tip and ring.

The cleaner the wiring, such as less impedance etc., the better chances to get the 80/40 you will want from the modems mentioned.
switchman
join:1999-11-06
ARRIS SB6183
(Software) OPNsense

4 edits

switchman to yutz23

to yutz23
If you are going to bury fiber, the minimum I would put in is 4 strands. Even more stands if possible 8-12 would be better. If you put in conduit, leave a pull string in place to pull more fiber in the future if needed. Remember, you need one fiber per direction. And yes I know you can get special SFPs for bidirectional transmission, but why limit yourself to the extra cost and reduced selection by going this way.

As far as fiber type, you would probably be better off with multi-mode as it will go the distances you want and should be a little cheaper. Single mode could go a greater distance, plus you can run higher speed optics over it a greater distance. If you thought you may ever want to run 10Ge sppeds across this network, I would put in the SM fiber day one. You may have to find someone local to splice the connectors on to the fiber. Alternativly, you could get the fiber already conectorized and just direct bury vs try and pulling it through conduit.

Get a pair of Ge switches that support SFPs and you should be good to go. You may as well light a second pair and enable LAG across them if the switch supports two SFPS which a lot of them will. It would be a cheap investment for the extra reliability. The extra capacity is just a side benefit. Another advantage of the switches is that you could setup VLANs to keep the customer and owner traffic/networks seperate.

A generic SFP can be found for ~$60-$70 at a lot of locations.
»www.provantage.com/addon ··· N0V7.htm

Alternatily, you could get a couple of these media converters, »www.provantage.com/tp-li ··· K00N.htm, and a SFP for it »www.provantage.com/tp-li ··· K02W.htm an use cheap unmanged switches on each end. A these prices, I would probably buy one or two of each as a spare as they would have to work in pairs. I have no clue as to the quality of any of these parts.

Before I would purchase the fiber from ebay, I would go to a US supplier an make sure you have everything worked out as far as connector and and fiber type/size before you place any orders. I grabbed this site as an example from a Google search. I don't know anything about them nor am I recomending them.

»fiberopticcables.stores. ··· uca.html

Me personaly, I would just buy an 8 strand pre-conectorized armored SM direct burial cable of the appropriate lenght and hire someone to trench a 48" deep route, drop the cable in it, ground the cable, verify it works and cover the cable.